UT III-demo is out!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Hmm that's a good point actually and one I never thought of.

I upgrade about every 3 - 4 years. £400 an upgrade - new motherboard/chip/memory/videocard. Not all in one lump sum either, I buy parts as of when I can afford them.

3 years for each next gen consoles? The Xbox360 is now £200 - £300 plus £40 for new games. (Xbox being the cheapest best console imo)

PC games are £25 usually so that's a saving of £15 each game.

Let's say 6 games a year for both PC and Xbox.

Xbox = £240
PC = £150

The difference being £90

So in reflection buying an Xbox is only around £10 cheaper than upgrading your PC. Although that's a quick scout around for prices and the difference may be a lot bigger but with PC's you can do a lot more besides play games so are consoles REALLY that much cheaper and better?
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Cyber, the only thing I can find is make sure all your drivers are up to date but I expect you've done that anyway. :/
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well if anything, they are a lot easier. No installation hassle, no worries about minimum requirements.

Also no piracy though. I sometimes like to download games before I decide if I want to buy them. Only if I can't borrow them from a friend though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Jonas wrote:Also no piracy though.
So there is absolutely no mod chip community in Denmark then?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Well yeah but that seems a lot of trouble to go through just to save a bit of money on games. Also I have a policy: I NEVER pay for piracy. Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Same here, however in practice I see a lot of people with modded Xboxes or PS2s. Apparently it's worth it - which I can see, if a game is 60 euros and the chip is 90 ... pirate 2 games and you're even.

I don't have any consoles, but I could see why someone would pay for it.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

My policy has always been: "get a reasonable but cheap computer, and just play games that are at least a year or two old"

This works out great for me, since I'm still a good three years behind on my gameplaying (damn you, higher education: you weren't worth it!). Plus most games more than a year old are like "buy 3 for a tenner" or similar.

And with the money I save, I can afford to...uh..get really really stupidly drunk. Or something.

So I'll give you all my review of bioshock next august. :)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Oh yes! another thing, MODS. I really like Oblivion but without all the mods I have, I would have got bored with it a long time ago.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Mods are great. ;)
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Somehow, I don't think there are many people in these forums that don't like mods :P
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas wrote:Dave, you hardware-fascist, not everybody has endless disposable funds to spend on game-related computer upgrades!

*BANNED!*
I was talking about the fact he has a Mac, hence I was telling him to get a real computer (a PC). Which is actually cheaper :D
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Did I meantion that I still have a PC RDed through the Imac? It plays DX10 fine :P

I've found uses for both because they are both good at different things.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Exactly, macs are good at looking very pretty, while PCs are good at everything else :D
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Now that I have actually used a Mac to edit my short film (and also to mess around with Photoshop after hours), I don't get the PC/Mac controversy at all. It's like there is no difference at all except the Mac OS looks purdy but Windows supports games.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:Now that I have actually used a Mac to edit my short film (and also to mess around with Photoshop after hours), I don't get the PC/Mac controversy at all. It's like there is no difference at all except the Mac OS looks purdy but Windows supports games.
Because most people only own one and not the other, and are disinclined anyway to learn two OS's, and there's an instinctive desire to own the best or better option, plus brand loyalty to something they like...
It's pretty much the same source as console arguments.

Personally though, I don't like Macs because every time I've used them the design and setup annoyed me. The Mac OS felt clumsy to me compared to my usual Windows, probably due to nothing more than habit. ;)