UT III-demo is out!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I'm gradually upgrading the settings - currently halfway up - to see when it will die out on me. I think the 2 GB mem helps :)
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

For those who don't know, make sure your "screen percentage" under the advanced video settings is up to 100% (defaulted at 50%) if you have the machine to run it, otherwise the graphics look very bad.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Downloading right now.. Will play when I wake up zzZZZzzzZzzz.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Aha! That explains why A) it looked so crappy and B) it ran so well in 1024x768 with everything at high.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Phasmatis wrote:For those who don't know, make sure your "screen percentage" under the advanced video settings is up to 100% (defaulted at 50%) if you have the machine to run it, otherwise the graphics look very bad.
Well I've read that in the comments under the Gamespot-article before but mine was already maxed at 100 by default. It's not looking crappy, just a bit disappointing because I expected even more.

Edit: VSync was off by default.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Yeah they don't seem as good as the preview vids and screen shots but since it runs so well on most people systems, maybe higher graphical settings will be made avaliable in the full game.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Now CoD 4 on the other hand, there is a game that looks HAWT
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I've already downloaded the demo today but not installed yet. I've seen this gameplay-vid, which really impressed me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AW9xNnu3dA

Edit: Ok, I've played it and the above vid is basically the same. This is nextgen and I already love it! It is very, very intense, like all CoD-games but it feels so much better with a modern scenario! I'll buy this one.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Is CoD4 a UE3 game too? I'm really looking forward to that game. The CoD series was always really great rollercoaster FPS's, but the WW2 iconography was wearing a little thin. I look forward to what may be the first modern combat game that won't feel like a chore :)

You guys who've played UT3: Is it any good?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

No it's not a UE3 game and it uses a yet unnamed proprietary engine.
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/796/796451p1.html

If you liked UT2004, you'll also like UT3 - I guess.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I've never played UT2004. Or indeed any of the UT games, only several of the games based on the engine.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Stupid Double Posting.
Last edited by Mr_Cyberpunk on Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

You've got to be kidding me Jonas..

UT1 is just gold, UT2004 is madness.

My modem fucked up last night so now I'm forced using an Ethernet link in order to download UT3.. Total bullshit.

Please Jonas, play UT1 and UT2004 as they are crazy games with hours upon hours of enjoyment.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

UT is very fastpaced and the maps are highly optimized for action. They feel more like arenes for Gotcha (or similar RL-games) but with futuristic stuff like pads to jump ultra high, low gravity, temporary power ups, shields, plenty of ammo and weapons (all with alternative fire options) or combos like double jumps. There are pretty much all MP-modes available (DM, TDM, CTF) and also some special ones. The UT-bots are very famous for AI-greatness and can be used for challenging offline-fights as well as online along other human players. A commentator from the off highlights the strong futuristic sports-touch of the game. The whole series is very well balanced and polished as it's also a standard in the e-sports scene.

Personally I like it - as a LAN-game. Which means approximatley 4 days per year. I prefer games, that allow me little rests between the action (I am getting old, you know) and more time to think...and a story...and realistic weapons. UT is all about reaction and knowledge of the map, which means that you need a lot of training to be good. I also prefer the authentic look of BF2 over the comic-like of UT.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

I think it's good. Also they have managed to have it run on this here crappy rig, so the graphics are very scalable. Enginewise UT3 is the shit :D

Then the gameplay ... well, it's pretty much the same as UT2Kx or classic UT. Same weapons, some minor improvements here and there. VEHICLE CTF (which is cool) a hoverboard to move around the gigantic maps (great idea imho). Unfortunately there is no Assault in the game, but there is some other mode "Unreal Warfare" which promises to have the best bits of Assault. Time will tell.

I think I may buy it when it is cheap and has loads of mods.