London to Edinburgh by train!

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

KeliaDracu
NSF

London to Edinburgh by train!

Post by KeliaDracu »

I'm no expert on UK train travel but I've done it twice. London to Carlisle and Manchester to Carlisle. The first trip, from London, was in first class on a Virgin train. That I would recommend. It was comfortable and spacious enough for the length of the trip. The second was in economy class, and that was a joke. The train was already packed by the time my friend and I got on board. We had arrived from the States a few hours prior and had all our luggage with us. We had to stuff our roller boards between our legs as the little overhead shelves would not accommodate them. The train was full of backpackers headed to the north of Scotland, so it was a very crowded coach. Fortunately, Manchester to Carlisle isn't that long of a ride but from London, that would have been terrible.

Best way to describe it was basic economy, with the perks of basic economy cut out! I've been on Greyhound and Trailways's busses that offered more room and comfort. It was loud, became hot, and cramped as all hell. I forget what I paid but I remember thinking it wasn't worth it.

The writer doesn't say what time she left but for that price, I'd be willing to bet it was off peak. Since this is a new service maybe not, those of you familiar with UK train service can set me straight.

I'd take the train again, but definitely book first class if you want an enjoyable ride.
ShelHarby
Mole Person

Re: London to Edinburgh by train!

Post by ShelHarby »

On how I want to go on a train trip too! Btw, could you recommend some places for shopping in Edinburg or London? My daughter wants to go shopping there, so it would be great to know some worth places in advance, you know.
AnemKisku
Thug

Re: London to Edinburgh by train!

Post by AnemKisku »

Thanks for sharing your experience with taking the train from London to Edinburgh! It sounds like booking first class might be worth it for a more comfortable ride. It's helpful for those who need to become more familiar with UK train travel. And if you're looking for a way to pass the time during the trip, you should check out some of the best cheap places to shop around in London. You can find some great deals and unique items at local markets and hidden gems. You can also check online resources such as https://www.londonkensingtonguide.com/c ... ng-london/ for tips and recommendations on where to go shopping on a budget. Happy travels!