GPU for Virtual Reality (VR) gaming

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

GPU for Virtual Reality (VR) gaming

Post by CashiWaku »

Putting together a gaming PC for a family member (to use with his Quest 2 and Oculus link) and with the GPU shortage going on out there, I'm having a tough time. If I could find one at a reasonable price, I'd just go with a RTX 3070, but that is proving to be quite the difficult task. There's a good chance I'll be able to get my hands on a RTX 3060, but i've heard more than a few people refer to it as "underwhelming"... some even saying the RTX 2070 or 2060 Super would be better than the 3060 for VR. I can see that maybe being true, but what about the RTX 3060 Ti... that's got to be sufficient, no?

We're probably talking mostly Roblox VR and some Medal-of-Honor-type games... but who know what else he'll get into.

I'd love some 1st hand intel on different setups you've used and the results you experienced if anyone cares to share. Thx!!
KaidenLevine
Mole Person

Re: GPU for Virtual Reality (VR) gaming

Post by KaidenLevine »

Not sure what to say here. The market and your budget dictates what you get more than anything else right now. I'd probably keep trying to hook up with an RTX 3070 if possible, but if that's not going to happen, then I'd probably opt for an RTX 2070 over an RTX 3060Ti (depending on costs).
EbonyHodge
Mole Person

Re: GPU for Virtual Reality (VR) gaming

Post by EbonyHodge »

It's tough to find a reasonably priced GPU these days, especially with the current shortages. I've heard good things about the RTX 3060 Ti for VR gaming, so that might be a good option for you.
If you're interested in VR development software and want to learn more about it, you should definitely check out exposit.com. They have some great solutions for vr development software and could provide you with more information about different setups and their respective performances in VR gaming. Good luck with your gaming PC build, and I hope your family member enjoys their VR experience!