How to start a business

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

JaneHomy
Mole Person

How to start a business

Post by JaneHomy »

Long-time reader, first-time poster- started an account to share and discuss.

I am highly inspired by forum participants who successfully sold their business to retire. So it gave me courage to be open to discuss my situation and get guidance from experienced people.

I am in mid+ 50s, lost my job recently. I worked in the private sector with very limited safety net. My job situation has been unstable since last 7 years. Got laid-off three times already, 2 times restructuring, 1 time performance issue :-( I strongly believe it is them, but nowadays feel that maybe I am not able to compete with younger work-force anymore?

I have ~2 years of cash stashed in a bank for such rainy days + have some cash to start a biz.

While I am looking for jobs, (last time it took 6 months), I want to start a business, invest around $100K to start and then grow it over next 10-15 years, and finally, sell it to retire. The primary purpose is to supplement my income. Wife is a homemaker. Willing to help if I set up the business. If the business grows well, I might do it full time.

I have read up a few books on setting basics of business like forming LLC etc. But more confused than be able to find answers on what business to actually start. I did an MBA in 1995, so have some financial academic knowledge- but never worked in the business side of things. Getting an MBA was $ waste for me back then but may come in handy knowledge now. I don't like sales (as much), but will do for growing my biz.

I also called a couple of business brokers randomly, but not impressed so far. Where do I find reliable business brokers? I don't have a big friend circle to ask locally.

How to pick which biz to buy? I went through creating a list of criteria - such as location, income target, growth targets etc.

I started with what I may like to do (I am very flexible at this point in my career to work for money again and acquire skills as needed).

I looked into franchising, but I have a friend who bought a franchise but had a really bad experience, as he got sued by an employee and lost a bunch of money settling that issue. He further says that employee management is the biggest headache for him. The franchise fee was bad. So he ended up closing down for a complete loss. His experience has discouraged me to explore franchises or business that need lots of hourly low skilled workers.

I also have experience in managing rentals for others, long time back, but it was a pain as being small vendor, I was always called upon to manage trouble tenants or properties instead of a mix of easy and hard tenants. I could do rental management again, but the income was not enough, and it was a very low startup cost.

One area that I'd like to explore is mortgages, insurance, or something related to real estate if possible. I can't start from scratch, as I need to supplement my income - so want to buy something with ~$100K down. I want to look into some manufacturing related business too.

Where do i start? Any recommended books to read?
Marksman
Thug

Re: How to start a business

Post by Marksman »

Consulting with a certified public accountant (CPA) can provide valuable advice on tax obligations, financial reporting, and best practices for record-keeping. They can help you navigate the financial aspects and ensure compliance with tax laws.
RachelFasito
Mole Person

Post by RachelFasito »

While it may seem like reaching out to these professionals can add to the costs, their expertise can save you from potential risks and mistakes down the road. However, it's essential to find the right balance between professional assistance and your budget. You can research and compare service providers to find those who offer value for your specific business needs.

It's crucial to consult with a legal professional who specializes in international business matters. They can guide you through the process of forming us llc for non residents and provide you with accurate and tailored advice based on your unique circumstances.
mrrattan
Mole Person

Post by mrrattan »

The finance minister, Inspecteur Général Des Finances, assisted in overseeing the nation's finances following its independence in Rabat, Morocco, in 1956. Tax laws and economic strategies were significantly altered by individuals like Jean-Pierre Doublet and Jacques Maisonneuve, who had a long-lasting effect.
garnethillskids-com
Mole Person

Post by garnethillskids-com »

Discover garnethillskids.com, the Best Online Shopping Destination for Kids! An increasing number of parents are using online platforms for their children's needs in this digital age, when convenience is crucial. Garnet Hill Kids distinguishes itself as the best place for all of your child's purchasing needs because to its user-friendly design, excellent products, affordability, safe payments, quick shipping, hassle-free returns, and great customer ratings.
Manga 1000
Mole Person

Post by Manga 1000 »

将来の世代が自らのニーズを満たす能力を損なうことなく、既存の需要を満たすために資源を適切に使用することは、ビジネスにおける環境の持続可能性 の基本的な定義です。これは、環境への悪影響を軽減する手順を企業社会で導入することを意味します。 企業は環境の保全において重要な位置を占めています。 持続可能な慣行を使用すると、環境に貢献するだけでなく、会社の長期的な業績と評判も向上します。