Mass Effect 2 (ME1 spoiler warning!)

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Re: Mass Effect 2

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Well Jonas you assume that only based on inital development, The TNM 2 Branched storyline rule would instead work MUCH better as a continuing expansion- I realize its an excellent idea, commercially viable IF you use it in the episodic model and constantly update the original game- BioWare's system results in dropping the previous game in pursuit of a more flashier engine- but the way I see it, if you were actually skilled you'd find a way to migrate the first game directly into the second games technology- that also means that you're in an essence continuing the original story with updated technology and content- the result would be a game far far larger than anything that has even been attempted before. (the best trick would be to use CryTek's Futureproofing technique where you develop your content for a system that doesn't exist yet- ideally that would be building your models in the Highest Poly possible and then applying any new technologies to it later on. High Poly would mean Photorealism- so ideally there's no point in going further than that- the idea is to just allow the technology to catch up before the game can use it. Of course this means those models can be used for PR and Cutscenes should you want to put them to good use.)

With users consuming the content, well its simple really, if you make your game modular you can sell them the entire game piece by piece- see THQ's Dawn of War 1 as a perfect example how its done. You make a series of stand alone expansions-- but when combined create a MASSIVE game filled with as much content as you can handle.. Best of all you only pay for what you think you'll use- but you can also get discounts for content when bought in bulk thus passing the savings onto the consumer (We reward them for buying more content than they can handle and with good reason! this keeps us commercially viable to be able to produce that content that no one even plays but they have the option to ;))

I do definitely like the idea of Paragon vs Renegade over Good vs Evil as rather than give us the KARMA system crap, you're instead allowed to craft a personality out of your character- it refers more to how your player acts during play rather than how the game ultimately ends up, because even if you still choose to be a renegade, you've got plenty of options to change your character's attitude. The Paragon ending is similar- but I just enjoy being a xenophobe too much :D reminds me of starship troopers.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm not opposed to making expansions that add branches to the original game, though I question how great the market is for that, but BioWare planned Mass Effect as a trilogy from the beginning, so I trust they know what they're going to do about the different endings. I'm guessing they've found a balance between acknowledging the player's different possible choices in the ending of the first game and not changing the second game too much depending on it.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Jonas wrote:I'm guessing they've found a balance between acknowledging the player's different possible choices in the ending of the first game and not changing the second game too much depending on it.
Or maybe they'll combine ALL of the endings into one SUPER ending and finish off the series that way! It's the only decision that makes sense, and if video games have taught us anything, it's that nothing but good can come from it!

:wacko:
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

lol yeah we call that pulling an Invisible War. Ever since they announced the merged endings it got worse and worse press from then on.

I'm actually scared that's what they've done- the Renegade ending can branch out into 3 posibilities (well 2 but it gives you the option for the third), either 1. Put Udina in charge of everything 2. Put the captain in charge of a Human Council or 3. Rebuild the original Council but put the Humans at the top of the hirarchy.

the third sounds more likely- they established the need to keep the aliens in the council as to avoid causing them to rebel against the Alliance- Neither the paragon or Renegade endings resolve that fact and both endings put Humanity in a strong position of power.

The biggest problem I see is that in one ending the Council are all killed, in the other they survive- the easiest solution would be to say they all died no matter what either from the Citadel attack or from a rebel force (I'm thinking the Terrorists- which also apparently killed Shepard)

But yeah Kale, I'm scared.. You may actually be right.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

In other news, this thread may contain spoilers. Apparently. :(
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Mass Effect 2 (ME1 spoiler warning!)

Post by Jonas »

Added spoiler warning to thread title.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

lol whoops.. forgot about the spoiler tags. well the game's been out for over a year now.. so you only have yourself for not playing this AWESOME game. :D Thanks Jonas.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Well I AM playing it, that's the point.

The important thing is that I'm not FINISHED. Though I have hit the annoying arbitrary level cap already. And the cash cap. And I think I've still got quite a bit of stuff to do.

Anyway, I've never seen the need to play games super super soon after they're out: if they're good they'll keep, plus they'll be cheaper, and more likely to run on a midrange PC by the time I buy them.

I got ME for £3.76, for example, and it runs wonderfully at max everything (with film grain off of course, coz srsly: what the fuck).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Film grain works really well in Left 4 Dead actually, but yeah I have it off in ME too.

You hit level 60 already? That seems kinda crazy. In the X360 version it was practically impossible to hit level 50 in the first playthrough, let alone 60.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

No, it's capped at 50 for the first playthrough, which is what I'm at (just done the three main story arc quest things, got one more and then possibly it's 'start moving toward endgame' time). If it was 60 I could probably make it almost to the end before hitting it. And get more shotgunning skillz.

You just need to explore a lot and (apparently) get out of the (ludicrously unsmashable) mako when shooting things. Exp is halved for all kills while 'en tanke'.

Agree with you on L4D, though. Still: seems odd to have come so far in rendering things in exquisite detail, only to then put yet more processing into adding a fucking distortion effect over the top. :P
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

DDL wrote:Still: seems odd to have come so far in rendering things in exquisite detail, only to then put yet more processing into adding a fucking distortion effect over the top. :P
Douglas Adams wrote:The major problem which the medical profession in the most advanced sectors of the galaxy had to tackle after cures had been found for all the major diseases, and instant repair systems had been invented for all physical injuries and disablements except some of the more advanced forms of death, was that of employment.

Planets full of bronzed healthy clean limbed individuals merrily prancing through their lives meant that the only doctors still in business were the psychiatrists, simple because no one had discovered a cure for the Universe as a whole - or rather the only one that did exist had been abolished by the medical doctors.

Then it was noticed, like most forms of medical treatment, total cures had a lot of unpleasant side effects. Boredom, listlessness, lack of…well anything very much, and with these conditions came the realisation that nothing turned say, a slightly talented musicain into a towering genius faster than the problem of encroaching deafness, and nothing turned a perfectly normal healthy individual into a great political or military leader better than irreversible brain damage. Suddenly, everything changed. Previously best selling books such as How I survived an hour with a sprained finger were swept away in a flood of titles such as How I scaled the North face of the MegaPurna with a perfectly healthy finger but everything else sprained, broken or bitten off by a pack of mad yaks.

And so doctors were back in business recreating all the diseases and injuries they had abolished in popular easy to use forms. Thus, given the right and instantly available types of disability even something as simple as turning on the three-d TV could become a major challenge, and, when all the programmes on all the channels actually were made by actors with cleft pallettes speaking lines by dyslexic writers filmed by blind cameramen instead of merely seeming like that, it somehow made the whole thing more worthwhile.