What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Trestkon »

Playing Portal, because I am extremely behind the times \o/
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Trestkon wrote:Playing Portal, because I am extremely behind the times \o/
Portal is a good game though.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

You should give Prototype a try... I started playing it after Portal...
Who we are is but a stepping stone to what we can become...
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Jane_Denton wrote:
Prototype is a Spiderman 3 clone. And yes I have played it.
Paul, I know you said no phone messages, but South Street's going up in smoke. We'll have to meet at the subway station.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

Xesum wrote:
Jane_Denton wrote:
Prototype is a Spiderman 3 clone. And yes I have played it.
I've never played Spiderman 3... or ever had a desire to for some reason! :lol:
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Playing Dark Messiah, and am slowly collecting a series of screenshots featuring various types of giant spider in mid TERRIFYING FACE LEAP, which I will then zip up and send to Jonas under the filename JohnsDXMod.rar

No, seriously though, while apparently quite old, this game is hilarious. It should be taglined "Kicking people down the stairs for fun and profit". I have a whole slew of nifty weapons, but nothing yet beats simply alerting someone, running away up a flight of stairs and then kicking them in the face when they follow. There was a 'defend the ship OMG OMG' objective where the enemies approached you one by one along a thin gangplank.
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*MISSION COMPLETE*

And yes, I really am joking about the spiders, Jonas. RELAX.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

Is it like Oblivion?

Is it easily cheatable?

Wow, it's only 6 pounds.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Better than oblivion, combat wise. Vastly simpler in all other respects though. I'm going to say "streamlined", since it really is pared-down to raw 'make it fun' level.

Oblivion combat was basically bashbashbashbashbashKILL, whereas here you can feint, weave, disarm effectively (oblivion's disarm was terrible), stab people horribly when they're on the ground, smash people into the UTTERLY RANDOM WALLS OF SPIKES that are absolutely everywhere, or, as noted: kick them down the stairs. Or off cliffs. Or into the sea. Kicking is AWESOME.
Xesum
Illuminati

Post by Xesum »

I'll wait till weekend to buy it, seen as I'm going camping tommrow till late on friday.
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

DDL wrote:Playing Dark Messiah, and am slowly collecting a series of screenshots featuring various types of giant spider in mid TERRIFYING FACE LEAP, which I will then zip up and send to Jonas under the filename JohnsDXMod.rar

No, seriously though, while apparently quite old, this game is hilarious. It should be taglined "Kicking people down the stairs for fun and profit". I have a whole slew of nifty weapons, but nothing yet beats simply alerting someone, running away up a flight of stairs and then kicking them in the face when they follow. There was a 'defend the ship OMG OMG' objective where the enemies approached you one by one along a thin gangplank.
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*BOOT* *SPLASH* *ARGG*
*MISSION COMPLETE*

And yes, I really am joking about the spiders, Jonas. RELAX.
I never played it, although seen it's name numerous times. I didn't realize it was a FPS.... I decided to google the gameplay because of your positive comments. I'll have to acquire this game now and give it a try I like FPS the most! :smile:
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Dark Messiah is the. best. first person sword combat game evar, its like the oblivion sword combat times a thousand with awesomesauce on it. But really it is more fun when you don't exploit the kick button :). You can get it for like 10 bucks off Steam, and it is defiantly worth it. The Magickry and Stealth is pretty sweet too (Fireball+Havok physics+orcs=ragdollian fun).
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Dark Messiah is the game in which kicking people is a weapon of such cataclysmic power that they had to implement fatigue just to balance it out.

"You're too tired to kick this guy, you'll have to hit him with your bigass sword instead."
"Awww man!"

It also has my favourite character system in any game to date. It's damn near the perfect system for an FPSRPG.

The spiders can go die in a fire though. I loved this game, but I could never make it past the spiders.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

The spiders,,, perish easily to fireballs :) As for the character system yeah, it is nice, I only wish it had more stealth based stuff to put your points in. Also the spiders can't really kill you, they only do 1-2 damage with their fangs, and poison can't reduce you below 10 hp :P. But kicking isn't that OP on higher difficulties, since you need that fatigue to sprint since one good hit from an orc cleaver will... cleave your skull in twain. I should replay this game soon.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jane_Denton
X-51

Post by Jane_Denton »

SPIDERS!!!!! *SHIVER*
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

They should never have put any stealth into Dark Messiah. Combat is the whole point of the game, and it's mostly brilliantly implemented, so why distract from this by putting a half-arsed stealth system in?

I get rather frustrated by Dark Messiah. Such great gameplay, but such uninspiring settings (chapter 7 excepted). They could have done something damned amazing with it.

I'm currently playing Divine Divinity, which is a fun little RPG, similar to Diablo but with more plot.
I've left the board.