What are you playing?

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

bobby 55
Illuminati

Re: What are you playing?

Post by bobby 55 »

I got the urge to play TNM again so I decided to set things up but all my patches and stuff were lost when the last pc went belly-up. Anyhow I did find my disc after a frustrating search and did a fresh install of the GOG version of DX. I installed New Vision then I installed the 1.04 AND 1.04+ patches after changing the exe of both DX and TNM with Kenties newest version (5.3) and adding the DX10 renderer. This seemed to take forever (I'm horribly out of practice :P) but it seems to have been worth it as even the logo seems more defined.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Have fun!

Really hope 1.0.5 sees the light of day... what I've seen of it was pretty sweet. And I don't just say that since Jonas made me a lving place in the city :lol:

(1.0.5's phasmatis apartment is also a lot less... weird... than my version xD)
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote:I've been playing Dark Souls 2. It's not as good as the original. The purest gameplay is a bit more refined
Yes.
, and the porting job is better(controls are still pretty bad though, it's nigh impossible to do jumping and shield breaks with the mouse. At least Ds1 controls were completely functional once you got used to them)
Can you not rebind? You could rebind jump on the console version, which is good because they set it up really questionably in the default layout.
The world design is poorer and more linear
Agreed. It's still good though, Still very old school in design.
and enemy variety has been almost entirely reduced to big guys with bug weapons
Eh, it's pretty much the same as DS1. They all have rather simplistic but dangerous AI. Completed it yet? Things do get better imo.
Mirrorman95 wrote: but I'd never knew the original was this good.

The original is exceptional, a true masterpiece of game design.
Except for the fact that The Fall has unlimited inventory and two rechargeable aug batteries, DX3 is equal or better in every way.
Why is unlimited inventory a good thing, in your opinion? A limited inventory adds more gameplay depth and more player involvement. Choice and consequence design, and of course legendary inventory tetris. Unlimited inventories have no place in games with much choice and interaction. Thankfully this seems to be the opinion shared among the professional designers; there only game that comes to mind with plenty interaction but unlimited inventory is Bioshock, and that game has exceptionally bad gameplay in my opinion.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:
Can you not rebind? You could rebind jump on the console version, which is good because they set it up really questionably in the default layout.
Not.... really. You can choose it to be "B" or "LS-click". There's no free rebinding of the jump button, and I don't know what LS click even translates to(B is running).
Cybernetic pig wrote:
Eh, it's pretty much the same as DS1. They all have rather simplistic but dangerous AI. Completed it yet? Things do get better imo.
Aye, and if you ask me, the game got significantly worse with drangleic castle and beyond. I guess shrine of Amana had a new enemy type that wasn't repetitive, but I'm not sure mage that fires homing missiles with the same range as the draw distance is good design. And don't get me started on the boss that becomes a regular enemy in the very next zone.

As for dangerous AI.... I don't know. As a mage I could beat every enemy in DS2 by simply backstepping and occasionally rolling backwards. That did not work so easily in DS1.

I must say I'm having quite a lot of fun pvping though. Ratbroing people is very satisfying, and you still get to have moral highground over bellclangers.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote: Not.... really. You can choose it to be "B" or "LS-click". There's no free rebinding of the jump button, and I don't know what LS click even translates to(B is running).
Lol, that's unfortunate. There must be some info on the web as to which key it is though.
Cybernetic pig wrote:
Aye, and if you ask me, the game got significantly worse with drangleic castle and beyond. I guess shrine of Amana had a new enemy type that wasn't repetitive, but I'm not sure mage that fires homing missiles with the same range as the draw distance is good design. And don't get me started on the boss that becomes a regular enemy in the very next zone.
Eh, I liked the end of the game. Good point on the draw distance mages though. Was the draw distance even that bad in DS1?
Who is the boss that becomes a regular enemy? The frog-like beast? I don't remember that becoming a regular enemy at all, let alone in the next zone (crypt).
As for dangerous AI.... I don't know. As a mage I could beat every enemy in DS2 by simply backstepping and occasionally rolling backwards. That did not work so easily in DS1.
Yeah I played as deprived on my very first playthrough and didn't spec for mage stuff beyond minor tune ups for pyromancy; just a few points in intelligence and refining of the pyro flame. Not so much a fan of a predominantly mage character because it's mostly about staying back and lock-on magic spamming. Always having to get up close to the AI and challenge it is much more thrilling, but you do still have to do that sometimes as a mage.
I must say I'm having quite a lot of fun pvping though. Ratbroing people is very satisfying, and you still get to have moral highground over bellclangers.
You just reminded me of an EPIC battle I had with a rat turd. First time I got rat-turded I was like fuck you, enemies everywhere, magic spam, roasted cyber pig. Second time I dashed straight for the ladder, killed the nearby wheel n deal clan guys, but the rat had setup tons of traps, naturally...well the battle lasted a long time, I avoided enemies, traps, magic spam, and eventually destroyed the rat turd. My most epic PVP battle for sure. Done with the game now. Completed it twice then went on an invading and duel spree then got bored. Still worth it though, it's good to see a game like this made today, and no BS business practices either! ...shitty port aside. No fucking locked DLC, season passes, no compromised design for sales, no microtransactions. Only crappy pre-order bonuses which you don't have to enable.
One design decision which I found to be really dumb though, was the company of champions covenent. Located right at the start of the game, it is essentially the option for hardcore mode (no co-op, enemies have x2 attack and defence), but it only tells you about no co-op.
So I thought, "Yeah, I'm a champion, I don't need a co-op partner". Later: Why the fuck am I getting destroyed repeatedly!
When I play the game again in a year two I will willingly enable this hardcore mode and stick to it though, because once I disabled it everything seemed a touch too easy and the extra challenge will be nice for replayability. Some bosses will be a nightmare though.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Cybernetic pig wrote:Eh, I liked the end of the game. Good point on the draw distance mages though. Was the draw distance even that bad in DS1?
I never had issues with it, that's about what I can say.
Cybernetic pig wrote: Who is the boss that becomes a regular enemy? The frog-like beast? I don't remember that becoming a regular enemy at all, let alone in the next zone (crypt).
It's the dragon in aldia's keep.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Jaedar wrote: It's the dragon in aldia's keep.
Ah, yes, a little bit lazy perhaps, but now I think about it plenty Hardcore old school console JP action RPGs do this. Not really bothered by it, copy n paste is good within reason :) I mean DX has the same enemy throughout; NSF/MJ12/civilians/humans in general have very similar AI, but the AI itself is far more complex mind you, and each have unique dialogue and skins (for the most part).

Silly player stats from the DSII console versions if you're interested: http://venturebeat.com/2014/04/25/42-da ... ing-stats/

From April the 25th, so no PC stats.
Jonas wrote: And I am way too good at that game now. I'm pretty sure I know it well enough to ghost the whole game, if I wanted. I know all the little secret passages and vents.
Such knowledge is not required.
The game has regenerating invisibility that hides you from all threats except proximity motion sensing mines and the rare environmental hazard.

Sorry for the bold but it really does need emphasising how ridiculous certain aspects of the gameplay is in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, this point especially.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Uh yeah but if you rely only on the regenerating part, you get like 2 seconds of stealth at a time...
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Upgrade battery regeneration and upgrade cloak. Longer periods of invisibility with faster cooldown, which is more than enough to ghost the game without any effort. Buy all Cyberboost items to make it even easier.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Or don't, and have fun instead.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Of course, but that's beside point.

To truly stop it happening you have to not get cloak.
Regenerating invisibility from all threats, that's worse than 5 second delay regen health seen in many other games.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

"Dear Bob, when throwing a Molotov at a greasel, ensure you clear the crate you are hiding behind". :lol:

It's been that long since I've visited the sewers in TNM that I managed to lose my way. I've reached the room (with the two bots and the lift that previously was glitched) prior to doing Evil's Black Ice mission without seeing DDL first. I can't recall if it matters if I go back and get the quad rocket schematics off him after I do the Black Ice thing or not. I want to get it before Day 2 coz it's hilarious coming back from DX Incarnate and watching (from the roof-tops) quad rockets chasing Scara's troops around corners and such. :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cybernetic pig wrote:To truly stop it happening you have to not get cloak.
Regenerating invisibility from all threats, that's worse than 5 second delay regen health seen in many other games.
No you just have to not upgrade cloak fully. It's like... Human Revolution's upgrade system is designed to have different paths that make certain play styles easier. If you fully upgrade your arms and your armour so you have no recoil and take way less damage, combat will be much easier. If you fully upgrade your hacking augs, hacking will be much easier. If you fully upgrade cloaking and wall-xray-sight, stealth will be much easier. That's kind of the point. Most players will upgrade the augs that fit the style they use, to keep that style viable as the game progresses and to open up new options for them when playing that way. Cloak sure as fuck makes stealth a lot easier, but there are parts in the game, particularly later, where stealth is almost impossible without being able to cloak for at least a few seconds while you move between hiding spots. If you've mastered the game's stealth system to such an extent that fully upgraded cloak makes the game too easy, presumably you're also familiar enough with the game that you'll know not to upgrade cloak on your next playthrough if you want to get any challenge out of the stealth system.

Games like this which cater to different play styles can't be fully balanced for everything in every situation, it demands that you take a little responsibility for your own entertainment. If you want stealth to be harder, don't make the choices that make it way easier.
bobby 55 wrote:It's been that long since I've visited the sewers in TNM that I managed to lose my way.
Good! That was the intention of that level :D

I love the fact that you're playing TNM again. Please keep posting anecdotes, it's tremendously satisfying to read.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:It's been that long since I've visited the sewers in TNM that I managed to lose my way.
Good! That was the intention of that level :D

I love the fact that you're playing TNM again. Please keep posting anecdotes, it's tremendously satisfying to read.
It's almost like playing for the first time. I eventually talked to DDL and went exploring but managed not to find the "secret" room in the sewers. I got caught-up in the maze of passages near an surface access point, the area with lots of greasels, but managed to survive...just. One thing I find kinda cool is the how the subtitles are coloured individually for different characters.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No you just have to not upgrade cloak fully. It's like... Human Revolution's upgrade system is designed to have different paths that make certain play styles easier. If you fully upgrade your arms and your armour so you have no recoil and take way less damage, combat will be much easier. If you fully upgrade your hacking augs, hacking will be much easier. If you fully upgrade cloaking and wall-xray-sight, stealth will be much easier. That's kind of the point.
Same as all games with RPG elements. HR's cloak is just ridiculously overkill.
If you've mastered the game's stealth system to such an extent that fully upgraded cloak makes the game too easy, presumably you're also familiar enough with the game that you'll know not to upgrade cloak on your next playthrough if you want to get any challenge out of the stealth system.
I strongly dislike HR's stealth for many reasons, not just the cloaking. I've played the game once with the stealth playthrough, and this one time I got the Foxy Pacifist achievements. DX1's stealth is far more engaging.
Games like this which cater to different play styles can't be fully balanced for everything in every situation, it demands that you take a little responsibility for your own entertainment. If you want stealth to be harder, don't make the choices that make it way easier.
I beg to differ. See my mod.

No, you're right, you cannot have complete equality for all playstyles, but you sure as hell cannot have a get out of jail free card like HR's cloak also, if the designers willed it.
bobby 55 wrote: I love the fact that you're playing TNM again. Please keep posting anecdotes, it's tremendously satisfying to read.
I wish I could experience what you have for years. Alas, I get the very occasional lucky feedback from players because everybody is playing Goat Simulator.