Sauna Etiquette in Sweden

UFOs, lost socks, discuss whatever you like here.

Moderators: Master_Kale, TNM Team

CashiWaku
UNATCO

Sauna Etiquette in Sweden

Post by CashiWaku »

Everything I'm seeing online is saying that generally people are naked or only covered with a towel in saunas in Sweden. Is this also the case in hotel saunas, or only in public ones? I'm hoping to avoid bringing a bathing suit unless absolutely necessary, and I'm guessing I won't need or be allowed to wear one for most saunas. Is my reasoning correct?

Also, if anyone can comment on the same question for Norway and Denmark, I'd be grateful.
Markveber
Mole Person

Re: Sauna Etiquette in Sweden

Post by Markveber »

Swedes sure know how to unwind, and that whole minimalist towel situation is pretty intriguing. Maybe it's a chance to ditch the city stress and truly embrace the ""bare essentials"" mentality!

I'm a big fan of incorporating local customs into travel experiences – it adds a layer of authenticity, like stepping into a whole new world. But full disclosure, the thought of going completely suit-free in a sauna is a bit daunting (maybe a cultural exchange I'm not quite ready for!). Always on the hunt for the next great way to sweat it out! (P.S. Totally not sponsored, but check out https://solasauna.com/ for some seriously drool-worthy home sauna inspiration!)