Buggy Deus Ex; everything is 2x fast!

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Taskeen
Thug

Post by Taskeen »

All you really need to do is make the game run on one core. It usually solves any problems with older games on multi-core processors.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Modern CPUs, especially laptop ones, can adaptively change their clock speed depending on load. The Unreal1 engine gets confused by this.

Go to the 'Power Options' control panel and choose 'Always On' from the Power Schemes list before playing, to disable Adaptive CPU control. You may want to set it back when you're finished playing Deus Ex, though, as it's wasting power and making your CPU needlessly hot.
Mr.Caravaggio
Mole Person

Post by Mr.Caravaggio »

Don't know if you're still looking, but tis might be the same bug I get when I try to put UT on newer systems. This always works for me...

Try adding -CPUSPEED=<your cpu's clock frequency> to the command line arguments of the shortcut to the game. I.e.:
C:\Games\UT\System\UnrealTournament.exe -CPUSPEED=2400
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Wait you can do that in UT based games? well thats cool :D *throws out CPU slow down programs*
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Post by Solid_Choke »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:why do you think I said "the engine".. you stupid american asshole :P :D
Is there really such a difference between an Aussie asshole and an American asshole? If there is I haven't been able to tell. ;)
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Solid_Choke wrote:
Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:why do you think I said "the engine".. you stupid american asshole :P :D
Is there really such a difference between an Aussie asshole and an American asshole? If there is I haven't been able to tell. ;)
One tends to be more drunk.
The Flash
Mole Person

Post by The Flash »

Or smoked....
"Password's enough pal, don't think you know something about the lady I don't..."
AlvinD
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by AlvinD »

...or Both! O_o
Zeitgeist
UNATCO

Post by Zeitgeist »

Welcome to your Dual Core PC.

Windows Task Manager > Processes > Right-click DeusEx.exe > Set Affinity > one of your CPU's.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Tonnochi that is pretty much the simplest and worst way to do it because you have to alt-tab out of DX every time you open it to do this. Pretty much every solution suggested above is superior to yours ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Wokky
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Wokky »

Jonas wrote:I got tired of alt-tabbing out of TNM to change the CPU affinity for the TNM.exe process every time I had to test it on my laptop, so that's why I looked around for a better solution, and the MS compatibility toolkit came up. It was maybe a little more involved to use than I'd have liked but all in all it took me about half an hour to fix, and it's run smoothly ever since. I could upload the .dll if you like, but I'm not sure it would work all by itself because I don't really know how the program works. It probably does something else apart from just generating that .dll file.
Would you mind uploading the .dll please, as I'd like to give it a try. I've been having the same issue, and nothing I've tried so far appears to work, not even changing the CPU affinity. Otherwise, if you could give me a brief guide on how to use the ACT it would be really appreciated, since I have no idea how it works.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If I remember, I'll upload it tomorrow.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Wokky
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Wokky »

*prod*
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Huh, guess I forgot. I just checked, and I realized it's not a .dll but an .sdb file, and I actually didn't generate the file for Deus Ex, but for TNM. I'm not sure how this will affect its functioning on your system - it may work, but it probably won't. It's quite possible you can copy your DX executable, rename it TNM.exe and use that to start your Deus Ex with the proper affinity, but I make no promises.

http://thenamelessmod.com/randompub/TNMAffinity.rar

Put that in your DeusEx\System folder and let me know if it works :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Wokky
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Wokky »

I gave it a try, unfortunately it didn't affect matters, but thanks for the help regardless. :)

Well, I guess the only logical course of action now is for me to create a complete remake of Deus Ex for Unreal Engine 3, see you in a few thousand years! ;)