Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Re: Idea

Post by nerdenstein »

bobby 55 wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:
Why Ask? wrote:I have to say, I'm having a hard time buying that. Can you point to specifics? Why is no one but this one individual capable of finishing the remaining work? If someone with skills in that area needs to learn some things then they can. I think if you released the unfinished material online and publicize it a bit you'll find some people at least willing to learn what's needed of them. It's not going to magically happen and it might take a while for them to get adjusted, but will it hurt anything?
Quality of Work perhaps?
And if only one person knows how to do it then imagine how long it would take to learn.
If someone of less experience was to do the final pieces then those said final pieces would be of lower quality compaired to the rest of the pack.
Whereas DDL must really know what he is doing and is putting alot of work into this, someone of less experience would not know how to do some of the more advanced parts of what was being done.
I have no idea what it is that is being done I'm just saying :)
QFT

Also I'd be damned if I was to let someone else finish what has taken blood, sweat, and tears, but most importantly, a shitload of free time to accomplish.
QFT :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

nerdenstein wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:
nerdenstein wrote:
Why Ask? wrote:I have to say, I'm having a hard time buying that. Can you point to specifics? Why is no one but this one individual capable of finishing the remaining work? If someone with skills in that area needs to learn some things then they can. I think if you released the unfinished material online and publicize it a bit you'll find some people at least willing to learn what's needed of them. It's not going to magically happen and it might take a while for them to get adjusted, but will it hurt anything?
Quality of Work perhaps?
And if only one person knows how to do it then imagine how long it would take to learn.
If someone of less experience was to do the final pieces then those said final pieces would be of lower quality compaired to the rest of the pack.
Whereas DDL must really know what he is doing and is putting alot of work into this, someone of less experience would not know how to do some of the more advanced parts of what was being done.
I have no idea what it is that is being done I'm just saying :)
QFT

Also I'd be damned if I was to let someone else finish what has taken blood, sweat, and tears, but most importantly, a shitload of free time to accomplish.
QFT :mrgreen:
QFQTT :p
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

nerdenstein wrote: Quality of Work perhaps?
This still hasn't been justified has it?
nerdenstein wrote: If someone of less experience was to do the final pieces then those said final pieces would be of lower quality compaired to the rest of the pack.
bobby 55 wrote: QFT

There seems to be a misunderstanding here. I never asked that outside contributors take over the project. Work on the remaining parts could be submitted by anyone and the quality of the work will still be judged by the team and accepted only with their approval.
nerdenstein wrote: Whereas DDL must really know what he is doing and is putting alot of work into this, someone of less experience would not know how to do some of the more advanced parts of what was being done.
This is pure conjecture.
nerdenstein wrote: I have no idea what it is that is being done I'm just saying :)
As I said, pure conjecture. Let me say that it's possible in my scenario that no one comes along or no work submitted is of high enough quality for the team. And eventually DDL sets some time apart to finish the work that others failed to do. Tell me what was lost?
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

All this talk of "quality of work" implies that you think there are still models and textures that need to be made for HDTP to be finished. That's not the case.

As far as I understand it, the work DDL is doing is to import the models (complete with animations) correctly into the game, and it is a tedious technical task that requires a good deal of patience and the knowledge of how to do it. Sure, DDL could spend time explaining how to do it to someone else, but that would probably take him longer than actually doing the remaining work himself.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Nameless Voice wrote:All this talk of "quality of work" implies that you think there are still models and textures that need to be made for HDTP to be finished. That's not the case.

As far as I understand it, the work DDL is doing is to import the models (complete with animations) correctly into the game, and it is a tedious technical task that requires a good deal of patience and the knowledge of how to do it. Sure, DDL could spend time explaining how to do it to someone else, but that would probably take him longer than actually doing the remaining work himself.
Nameless Voice's argument was definaltly better than mine :P
Yes I agree it was a conjecture and yes i know nothing of what needs to be done.
Hense the reason it is DDL doing it and not me :mrgreen:
Surely, if there was anyone else who could do it, you'd think they would be doing it alongside DDL correct?
But if it has taken this long to do the whole package, then it would take a long time and a lot of free time on DDL's behalf to explain it too someone else. Free time that could be used to finish the importing or whatever it is he is doing.

I know you want this mod but give it time.
Good things take time. :smile:
You've waited a few years for this mod. A few months won't make much difference.
Go Play TNM or something :mrgreen:
Now let me sleep.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

It could still apply, but I don't know enough about the specifics of what DDL has to do to know for certain. I imagine he has to compile all the material at once, which would require outside contributors to actually have all the material. That would make it harder to just release onto the internet. But can anyone give me a generalized version of what DDL would need to tell others and why they couldn't possibly figure most of it out on their own? Have people never imported models and animations into this game before?
I know you want this mod but give it time.
Good things take time.
You've waited a few years for this mod. A few months won't make much difference.
I don't even know if I'll use the mod in my subsequent playthroughs. I'm content with the original models (I actually think they look nice in that unreal/quake 2 engine way), but certainly I'll try it out.
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Why Ask? wrote:I don't even know if I'll use the mod in my subsequent playthroughs. I'm content with the original models (I actually think they look nice in that unreal/quake 2 engine way), but certainly I'll try it out.

:shock: #-o
Wait what?
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Kee715
Illuminati

Post by Kee715 »

Why Ask? wrote:I don't even know if I'll use the mod in my subsequent playthroughs.
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

m3rc1l3ss wrote:
Why Ask? wrote:I don't even know if I'll use the mod in my subsequent playthroughs. I'm content with the original models (I actually think they look nice in that unreal/quake 2 engine way), but certainly I'll try it out.

:shock: #-o
Wait what?
Sorry, I didn't really explain that all too well, mostly because it's irrelevant to the thread and I shouldn't have even brought it up. I was just trying to make the point that I'm not pushing the team to open up the mod for anything related to me being an eager or impatient fan. I was asking these questions because I'd simply like to see more open source mods. To me it seems graphics conversion mods are quite appropriate as collaborative efforts. Anyway, if you look at my first post you'll see I joined because of something unrelated to HDTP. Still, I am interested in using HDTP, but I'm pretty picky too, and so... yeah. I seem to be one of the few who dislike the HD pack for the original Half-Life. Man, I adore the old shotgun and pistol in that game despite the fact that they were essentially rectangles, or rectangles pieced together.
BoggyP
NSF

Post by BoggyP »

Kee715 wrote:
Why Ask? wrote:I don't even know if I'll use the mod in my subsequent playthroughs.
qft
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

The team really shouldn't feel insulted by that! Like I said, I usually and sometimes irrationally prefer low-def stuff. Geez, I'm sorry.
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Guys, he is entitled to his opinion. He's not trolling or saying HDTP is an abomination so you know, ease up a bit.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

To me, everything that Why Ask? (only difference being that I am an eager fan :D ) wrote made perfect sense but what do I know?

P.S. Oh and yeah, long live Phasmatis! :giggle:
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Why Ask? wrote:I was asking these questions because I'd simply like to see more open source mods. To me it seems graphics conversion mods are quite appropriate as collaborative efforts.
On the one hand, you are correct that graphics mods are appropriate as collaborative efforts. That is why HDTP was a collaborative effort. (As I understand it, it is being finished by one person but that is at least in part because the actual graphics part of it is done. Now all that remains is to get the graphics into the game in non-crap form.)

On the other hand, they don't really seem appropriate to be what you would consider an open source mod. To do what you are talking about they would have to release the unfinished stuff to the public. In all likelihood the first result of that would be someone putting that into the game badly. Maybe, eventually, someone would do all of the work to get it done properly, and maybe they'd even finish it before DDL (though that seems unlikely at this stage), but before that happened someone somewhere would almost certainly use a shortcut to do it in a craptastic way because they couldn't wait for it to be done right.

If that HDTP: Craptastic Edition sat on one person's computer never shared with the world, that's one thing. My limited experience with game mods say's that is unlikely. People who make lousy things tend to share them. (Actually it goes beyond game mods, if you want an example of a lousy thing that is shared, check out my writing sometime.)

So in all probability what you'll be looking at if the unfinished work is released so the public can have a chance at trying to complete it is that unfinished work, in unfinished form, being unleashed upon the world as a mod. The HDTP: Craptastic Edition would make the rounds on the internet, and everyone who played it would see the unfinished work and say, "This sucks." Quality control would be killed.

The only way to make sure that the only stuff released is stuff that is of quality worthy of being released is if they only release it when it is finished. Releasing it before it is finished is like begging for lower quality work to be associated with the HDTP name. It is entirely possible that people will download the craptastic version and it will cause them to think HDTP is low quality, or they might download it, bear the bad parts, and never get the final, higher quality, version because they figure that, since they have an HDTP version with everything in the game, they must have the final version.

-

Actually, I think you are entirely backwards. Graphics mods are probably the ones that are least appropriate for the kind of open process you describe. (From here on out is talking about graphics mods in general, not HDTP.)

Say that we're talking about making a weapon. A total conversion can probably get away with having outsiders do that. They may not want to, because they may want to control when people first see that weapon, how it looks when they first see it, and so on. But if they were to say, "Here's this weapon we want to do, here's what we've done so far, here's what it's supposed to look like, if anyone thinks they can do it faster than us and meet our quality standards, go for it and submit your results to us," what's the worst that would happen? If someone does take their work, make something crappy with it, and release that into the wilds of the internet what goes wrong?

If people see it and think it's crap, even if they associate it with the total conversion they'd only think one weapon is crap. A total conversion is going to have story and setting, it's going to have level design and gameplay, it's going to have characters and enemies and whatnot. If one weapon looks like crap then it might not be a problem.

Compare that to a graphics mod doing the same thing. All they do are graphics, if they release a partially completed weapon, someone finishes it badly, and that gets out there they have a lot more to lose. Graphics is what they do. If something makes you think the graphics are crap then that something makes you think the mod is crap. You won't be thinking, "Well maybe the level design will be so good it makes up for it," because there is no level design, there is no story, there are no characters, there is no setting, there is nothing else. If a graphics mod is routinely putting their unfinished textures and models up for public work they effectively releasing their entire mod in unfinished form. They have nothing to hold in reserve.
Why Ask?
Thug

Post by Why Ask? »

By collaborative I meant beyond a hand-picked team. I was thinking of some kind of repository where all the most recent files would be stored along with a txt explaining who the previous authors were+contact details, whether they're active and what work remained. I imagine an author is added only if they've made a change to the model/animation/texture that's been approved by the team. For models that haven't been worked on at all they might just leave a txt file explaining some things they'd like done. I'm just throwing ideas around though. Anyway, HDTP apparently has no need for anything like this anymore so I'm assuming this conversation is now just dealing with hypotheticals. That's fine with me, doesn't hurt anything.

Right so now to the main point of your post. I'm sorry, but I have to say that it seems somewhat superficial to me. Sure, if ego is THAT important to everyone in this community then the idea would never work for the reason you posted. First though, let me just say that you can easily apply your argument to nearly any open source project currently out there. Released code is badly edited and redistributed under various names (crediting the original authors for their work) all the time. How often do you hear complaints about this edited form of the code being used to put the original authors in a bad light? Not that often. This isn't a huge concern for many open source projects because they put their ego behind them and trust that others will do the same. And for the most part others do. I guarantee you most if not all people will still know where to get the original materials from, and unless they're stupid or have been lied to they won't identify the quality of that work with an edited release. I guess there wasn't really a second part to that... oops. I was going to say something else but I'll just save it for later and let you think about the above.