Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Deus Ex 3

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:It also blows that the makers (arkane studios) seem to have run into financial difficulties... they don't even seem to be doing anything at all. :cry:
Actually Harvey Smith is working on their next game. It's alledgedly a first-person RPG, but other than that I have no fucking idea what they're doing.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:
Jaedar wrote:It also blows that the makers (arkane studios) seem to have run into financial difficulties... they don't even seem to be doing anything at all. :cry:
Actually Harvey Smith is working on their next game. It's alledgedly a first-person RPG, but other than that I have no fucking idea what they're doing.
Yeah, but according to wikipedia, its been "put on hold"(nth circle of development hell in other words) because they had financial problems so they would instead work on smaller projects, for example, they did some of the work on Bioshock 2.
Vy_Linvail wrote:What so they managed to advance Human augmentation from mechnical/robotic to nanotech but they couldn't quite grasp how to carry on making jet dropships??
You have a point, but it should be noted that jet engines are by no means stealthy, and the stealth chopper from the original could still be considered more high-tech. But yeah, it really doesn't make any sense. I feel the best approach to Human Revolution will be the one 'one' should have approached F03 with, ignoring the retarted bits and try to ignore the franchise "rape". After all, its good for what it is(and it could have been so much worse, no?).
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually I was on this Deus Ex 10th Anniversary podcast the other day (*PROMOTE*) and Harvey Smith was supposed to be there, but they had to decline having him on the podcast because he said he could only be there to promote his new Arkane game, and that wasn't really the point of the arrangement. So... well, maybe that's valuable information, I dunno.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jonas wrote: Actually I was on this Deus Ex 10th Anniversary podcast the other day (*PROMOTE*)
Well that was 97 minutes well spent. That Keenan dude might possibly be the biggest Deus Ex fan ever. :D
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Prentice
Thug

Post by Prentice »

Jonas wrote:Actually I was on this Deus Ex 10th Anniversary podcast the other day (*PROMOTE*) and Harvey Smith was supposed to be there, but they had to decline having him on the podcast because he said he could only be there to promote his new Arkane game, and that wasn't really the point of the arrangement. So... well, maybe that's valuable information, I dunno.
Excellent! Do our promotional bidding :mrgreen: .

bobby 55 wrote:
Jonas wrote: Actually I was on this Deus Ex 10th Anniversary podcast the other day (*PROMOTE*)
Well that was 97 minutes well spent. That Keenan dude might possibly be the biggest Deus Ex fan ever. :D
Thanks man!

I really, really, really need to post here more. #-o I'll start now! Oh, I hate to do this shameless self-promotion, but check out our E3 Podcast http://game-central.org/2010/podcasts/gcp-episode-92/ because I talk about DXHR E3 demo for a bit (like, 50 minutes in, I think?). Alright, enough of that! Time to post on OTP!
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

http://eat-games.blogspot.com/2010/06/e ... ution.html

Surprisingly good and informative interview. The actual information though... is disturbing.
...so you have to kill the bosses? There isn't an option to incapacitate them or something along those lines?
You have to kill them.
The Alpha Protocol mistake... Unskippable boss battles punish everyone who hasn't invested into combat skills, or forces the RPG elements into the background so everyone has combat skills(ala ME's)
We see Human Revolution as a sort of reboot of the franchise, so we're essentially approaching it as a new IP.
Wow.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Yes! We have 4 writers on the team right now and Sheldon has been a consultant. He's there to make sure everything is lining up correctly.
\o/

So basically they are making a game that's for the general gaming populace but have given we dedicated fans elements we'll recognise. I'm really, really looking forward to playing this to see how it all gels.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

bobby 55 wrote:
So basically they are making a game that's for the general gaming populace but have given we dedicated fans elements we'll recognise.
[Perception] Sounds like the hype for Fallout 3.
odio ergo sum
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Jaedar wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:
So basically they are making a game that's for the general gaming populace but have given we dedicated fans elements we'll recognise.
[Perception] Sounds like the hype for Fallout 3.
You do realise that it's uncool to make a grown man cry. :lol:
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:The Alpha Protocol mistake... Unskippable boss battles punish everyone who hasn't invested into combat skills, or forces the RPG elements into the background so everyone has combat skills(ala ME's)
No, it's not the Alpha Protocol mistake. Have you played Splinter Cell: Conviction's co-op campaign? It has a boss with a big-ass cannon whom you have to kill, but you do it by sneaking around and activating certain mechanisms in order to crush him - he's like a... stealth puzzle boss. So just having boss characters that you have to kill doesn't necessarily imply that you have to fight them head-on.

Even if it did, Deus Ex isn't Alpha Protocol - you could kill Gunther Hermann pretty much no matter what skill and aug build you had in the original game. I do think it's a mistake though - or at least a missed opportunity. I strongly believe that allowing non-lethal playthroughs is something any Deus Ex game should aspire to.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

You never had to fight the bosses in Deus Ex... Half of them could be avoided completely, and the other half had kill phrases.

Looking at the end of the leaked gameplay video of HR, we clearly see a cutscene into boss fight transition. Neither of the above will fit.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:You never had to fight the bosses in Deus Ex... Half of them could be avoided completely, and the other half had kill phrases.
Yes, I know you didn't have to fight them, thank you very much for clarifying that - but if you tried to fight them, you could win no matter what your character build was like. Capiche?
Looking at the end of the leaked gameplay video of HR, we clearly see a cutscene into boss fight transition. Neither of the above will fit.
That is more troubling news. I have not seen the leaked gameplay video, and I am not going to. Does the video unambiguously confirm that you will be able to create character builds that make you incompetent in straight-up fights?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:Does the video unambiguously confirm that you will be able to create character builds that make you incompetent in straight-up fights?
I take it you haven't heard. Skills as such are not in the game. XP is used to improve your augs only. There is no weapon proficiency(or so we can assume). IE, this is a mass effect(2) sort of deal where you can do what you want with your PC, as long as you accept that he will always be a master marksman.
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:I take it you haven't heard. Skills as such are not in the game. XP is used to improve your augs only. There is no weapon proficiency(or so we can assume). IE, this is a mass effect(2) sort of deal where you can do what you want with your PC, as long as you accept that he will always be a master marksman.
God damn yes I have heard that, I'm talking about aug builds. Augs, skills, it makes no difference, functionally they are mostly the same.

So I take it your answer is no, it will presumably not be damn near impossible to beat the bosses if you pick the wrong augs. In which case this is not the Alpha Protocol mistake. Defense rests.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

It seems we do not agree on what the "Alpha Protocol mistake" is... I simply think it is having unskippable boss-battles that force you into combat. You seem to think its the difficulty of said battles, which would also happen to be solved by letting the player "skip" them.
Jonas wrote: So I take it your answer is no, it will presumably not be damn near impossible to beat the bosses if you pick the wrong augs.
Meaning that the game will either be easy, force you to pick combat skills or BOTH. I fail to see how this is a point in its favour.
odio ergo sum