The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by that guy »

you need reflections off the window of the scopes!!!!1
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

DDL wrote:Well, we're still using six-shooters now...and the last cowboy died AGES ago..
I'd give you ?100 in internet money if you could find me a Law Enforcement agency operating in any developed country that uses Cowboy-age revolvers.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

I never said anything about cowboy age, I just said six-shooter. It seems that the six-in-a-rotary-magazine design has stood the test of time. Not much in the design has changed, other than higher-quality machining of the components.

The game never goes into any detail about the pistol: it's "A standard 10mm pistol", we only know it's a glock because the model is called that.

Let's just assume that the "standard 10mm glock design" has stood the test of time.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Well it's a simple, reliable system. Unlike the Glock, which is under constant improvement. The original pistol didn't look anything like a glock, the design was completely different - and this is purely a Glock pistol. That's my point. There's a lot of talk about staying "as close to original as possible", and yet the pistol isn't.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

But Snipa, what we've been trying to point out is that the pistol's model is extremely blocky and undetailed and its texture is so dark it's pretty hard to make out any real details. For all intents and purposes, the pistol is generic and featureless. For there to be any improvement in the HDTP version, liberties have had to be taken. The more low-quality the source material, the more drastic the change in order to improve it to the same level as the rest of the models.

Usually, we'd listen to your feedback, and I'm sure Phas wouldn't mind tweaking the model or texture to fit your suggestions, as your point about authenticity is a good one. Unhappily for you, the model has finished, UV mapped, rigged, and animated. This has taken a long time to do. Redoing it would also take a long time. Most of us are pretty happy with the way the pistol looks now, it's a good, realistic model with a great texture. Rather than recreating something nice which is finished, we'd prefer that time to be spent on the next weapons. The plasma rifle perhaps. Or the LAW. If we all hated the new model, it would be worth spending the time to recreate. But we don't. You're the only one who has objected to its lack of faithfulness to the original, very low-poly model.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

The plasma rifle is already done. It's in the UM.

Also, while I agree liberties need to be taken I'm pointing out that JC didn't follow the original at all, and instead modelled a glock - I'm just pointing out that this shouldn't be done. There were features in the original that aren't in the Glock, and therefore were ignored.
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... mpali0.jpg

Would you prefer that Snipa? o_O

(That was my first go at the pistol before it looked like the one you see today ^^)
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

SnipaMasta wrote:The plasma rifle is already done. It's in the UM.

Also, while I agree liberties need to be taken I'm pointing out that JC didn't follow the original at all, and instead modelled a glock - I'm just pointing out that this shouldn't be done. There were features in the original that aren't in the Glock, and therefore were ignored.
No comment.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

JC12 wrote:http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... mpali0.jpg

Would you prefer that Snipa? o_O
Well, not particularily because that's still a glock.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

SnipaMasta wrote:The plasma rifle is already done. It's in the UM.

The original didn't have any features! It was a rectangle, blocky, badly textured what-cha-ma-call-it!

Take a look at the image in my above post. Would you want that?

It's still a glock?.....

YES! Because the one in game is. A. Glock! :shock:
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

We should add Freakin Sharks with Freakin laser beams attached to their Freakin heads to make it "50 years in the future" enough. GO GO GO! MOVE OUT! FIRE IN THE HOLE! FRAG OUT!
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

ThalesA7X wrote:We should add Freakin Sharks with Freakin laser beams attached to their Freakin heads to make it "50 years in the future" enough. GO GO GO! MOVE OUT! FIRE IN THE HOLE! FRAG OUT!
Reminds me of "Armed and Dangerous" :D
Zandor
Thug

Post by Zandor »

About cowboys in the year 2052... While it might be true that model name is glock, glocks can hold like 18 bullets and the game pistol could initially hold only 6 of them, more like something with a single-column magazine like a Colt-clone (although there are "high capacity" colt 1911 clones today). I think it's pretty strange that they'd still be using such "low capacity" weapons 50 years in the future, but Deus EX is just a game anyway.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

JC12 wrote:It's still a glock?.....

YES! Because the one in game is. A. Glock! :shock:
No, it isn't. You've just modelled a standard glock ignoring the original model, which had a completely different slide.
JC12
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JC12 »

Happy?