Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
blueraga
Mole Person

Re: HDTP beta

Post by blueraga »

So I've had to uninstall Shifter to enjoy all the new models of HDTP + New Vision. One thing I'm wondering--the scope + laser bug. I recall reading about it being fixed by HDTP, is this true?

Edit: Seems it is. There's uhh, one slight detail I'd like to address. According to Deus Ex lore (and it's visible on the old maps), an earthquake caused California and Baja California to collapse into the ocean, meaning on the World Maps plastered in UNATCO, etc that region should be ocean. Again, this is just a small detail, so feel free to address it as you see fit.
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

blueraga wrote:So I've had to uninstall Shifter to enjoy all the new models of HDTP + New Vision. One thing I'm wondering--the scope + laser bug. I recall reading about it being fixed by HDTP, is this true?
Which bug is that, again?
Y|yukichigai
UNATCO

Post by Y|yukichigai »

medzernik wrote:Confirmed here. I've deleted Deus Ex folder from Documents and i've got rid of default.ini as suggested, and the game loads fine, but saving on "specific" places crashes it horribly. So horribly that the log is partially incomplete. Don't know why is this yuki, maybe you could assist us? :)
I can try, but this sounds like a very, very odd bug indeed. If you can give me screenshots of whatever error message the game throws at you, as well as whatever the partial log is, that would be helpful.

EDIT: in case it's related to the GPF error I saw in another thread, you can try this version - http://www.filedropper.com/shifterv19rc1
blueraga
Mole Person

Post by blueraga »

Well, I just got past the first cutscene and so far no crashes. I'll report if any bugs come up.

EDIT: I don't know what's causing it, but if I either drop my pistol or give it to Gunther, then go to pick up another pistol from a body, it won't load any 10mm ammo. However, using cheats to spawn a pistol then picking that one up, everything's okay... Any idea what might be causing this? I know HDTP changed the pistol...
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Y|yukichigai wrote:
medzernik wrote:Confirmed here. I've deleted Deus Ex folder from Documents and i've got rid of default.ini as suggested, and the game loads fine, but saving on "specific" places crashes it horribly. So horribly that the log is partially incomplete. Don't know why is this yuki, maybe you could assist us? :)
I can try, but this sounds like a very, very odd bug indeed. If you can give me screenshots of whatever error message the game throws at you, as well as whatever the partial log is, that would be helpful.

EDIT: in case it's related to the GPF error I saw in another thread, you can try this version - http://www.filedropper.com/shifterv19rc1
It doesn't generate an unreal error message. It just crashes to windows saying that it stopped working. I need to click on close program blindly because unreal is so nice and lovely that it will take and eat your whole screen up. the partial log is:

Log: Log file open, 08/11/13 19:48:12
Init: Name subsystem initialized
Init: Detected: Microsoft Windows NT 6.1 (Build: 7601)
Init: Version: 1100
Init: Compiled: Jan 29 2001 16:45:52
Init: Command line:
Init: Base directory: C:\Games\Deus Ex 1 GOG\System\
Init: Character set: Unicode
Log: Bound to Window.dll
Log: Bound to Core.dll
Log: Bound to Engine.dll
Init: Object subsystem initialized
Log: Cd Path: ..\
Init: Computer: GREEPEDAVID
Init: User: David
Init: Memory total: Phys=4194303K Pagef=4194303K Virt=2097024K
Init: Working set: 32000 / 159000
Init: CPU Speed=3300.117074 MHz
Init: CPU Page size=4096, Processors=4
Init: CPU Detected: PentiumPro-class processor (GenuineIntel)
Init: CPU Features: CMov FPU RDTSC PAE MMX KNI
Log: Bound to DeusEx.dll
Log: Bound to Extension.dll
Log: Bound to ConSys.dll
Log: Loading: Package DeusEx
Log: Loading: Package Core
Log: Loading: Package Engine
Log: Loading: Package Extension
Log: Loading: Package DeusExCharacters
Log: Loading: Package DeusExUI
Log: Loading: Package DeusExItems
Log: Loading: Package Effects
Log: Bound to Fire.dll
Log: Loading: Package Fire
Log: Loading: Package DeusExSounds
Log: Loading: Package ConSys
Log: Loading: Package DeusExDeco
Log: Loading: Package UBrowser
Log: Loading: Package UWindow
Log: Bound to IpDrv.dll
Log: Loading: Package IpDrv
Log: Bound to DeusExText.dll
Log: Loading: Package DeusExText
Log: Loading: Package Ambient
Log: Loading: Package IpServer
Log: Loading: Package MoverSFX
Init: Unreal engine initialized
Log: Bound to WinDrv.dll
Init: Mouse info: 0 0 0
Init: Initializing DirectDraw
Log: DirectDraw drivers:
Log: display (Primary Display Driver)
Init: DirectDraw initialized successfully
Init: DirectInput initialized successfully.
Init: Client initialized
Log: Bound to Render.dll
Log: Loading: Package Render
Init: Lighting subsystem initialized
Init: Rendering initialized
Log: LoadMap: entry.dx
Log: Loading: Package Entry
Log: Loading: Package Title_Music
Log: Game class is 'DeusExGameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level Entry.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame:
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is Entry.Mutator0
Log: Browse: DX.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: Doing load, not loadgame
Log: Current mission number is -1, next is -1
Log: LoadMap: DX.dx?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
Log: Loading: Package DX
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexSky
Log: Loading: Package RevisionTextures
Log: Loading: Package CoreTexDetail
Log: Collecting garbage
Log: Purging garbage
Log: Unloading: Package Render
Log: Garbage: objects: 35409->35408; refs: 402495
Log: Game class is 'DeusExGameInfo'
Log: Bringing Level DX.MyLevel up for play (0)...
ScriptLog: InitGame: ?Name=Player?Class=DeusEx.JCDentonMale
ScriptLog: Base Mutator is DX.Mutator1
Init: Initialized moving brush tracker for Level DX.MyLevel
ScriptLog: Login: Player
Init: *** DEUS EX VERSION Mon Mar 19 12:06:14 2001 v1.112fm ***
Warning: Failed to load 'HDTPanim': Can't find file for package 'HDTPanim'
ScriptWarning: JCDentonMale DX.JCDentonMale0 (Function DeusEx.DeusExPlayer.PostBeginPlay:00A6) Accessed None
Log: Bound to otpUIfix.dll
Log: Loading: Package otpUIfix
Log: otpUIfix >> Function hooking complete, DetourTransactionCommit returned code 0
Log: Possessed PlayerPawn: JCDentonMale DX.JCDentonMale0
ScriptLog: All inventory from Player is accepted
Init: Input system initialized for WindowsViewport0
Log: Opened viewport
Log: Bound to D3D10Drv.dll
Log: Initializing Direct3D 10 renderer.
Log: Initializing Direct3D.
Log: C:\Games\Deus Ex 1 GOG\System\d3d10drv\complexsurface.fx(117,5): warning X4000: Use of potentially uninitialized variable (tangentSpace)

Log: Bound to Galaxy.dll
Init: Galaxy is using DirectSound
Init: Galaxy initialized
DevAudio: Galaxy SetViewport: Win

Hm looks like there's something with HDTP. And this crashed after new game not even got to the saving. Oh god unreal is so %$%$*^Y*(%E&^.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Y|yukichigai wrote:

Also i found another new thread here follows as this:
Failure. Game locks up upon clicking Start after character creation. Deleting Deus Ex from Documents and Default.ini does not work for me - still crashes at the same point. I've also tried running Shifter below HDTP, at which point I lose access to the alternative fire keybind in settings, keyboard/mouse.

Replacing Kentie's launcher with original DeusEx launcher works up until the same point, at which point it crashes to desktop with a general protection fault (screenshot attached).

I should point out that using the advanced method, I always lose access to HDTP options, no matter whether I'm using the basic exe or Kentie's launcher. I do still see the improved JC headshot when using the character creation, though.

At this point I'm a bit stumped. I'm not sure if ditching New Vision altogether and using just HDTP Beta with Shifter would be the way to go, but aside from replacing Maps and Textures, I can't see any other way that New Vision could be interfering.

So...yes. I don't know if anyone else has had better luck than I, but I thought I'd throw my testing out in case anyone spotted something that either I was doing wrong, or something that could be throwing the process off for everyone.

Seems to be not only my problem. Another people (~2) have the same problem. Interesting indeed. I was using everything from my official DX to GOG DX to pirated DX to everything. I tried every damn thing. Not working. Not helping. :(
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

Y|yukichigai wrote:

And one more thing i tried your version. It did fix that startup problems, and i even got up to 10 minutes of testing (cheats god) and didn't experience a crash. Almost wanted to be happy but then i saved one last time at UNATCO comm and it crashed. No error report of unreal. :(
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

G-Flex wrote:
blueraga wrote:So I've had to uninstall Shifter to enjoy all the new models of HDTP + New Vision. One thing I'm wondering--the scope + laser bug. I recall reading about it being fixed by HDTP, is this true?
Which bug is that, again?
Laser makes the gun super accurate, scope breaks it again by adding arbitrary accuracy offset, so you're basically worse off with a gun carrying BOTH scope & laser than you are with a gun with either one alone.

And yeah, I ninja edited that. 8-[
G-Flex
Silhouette

Post by G-Flex »

Oh, that. I think I ignored that because the laser sight (as implemented in vanilla DX) is such a piss-poor design choice that I've never actually used it.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Medzernik: can I confirm you have HDTPanim.utx in both your textures folder and your HDTP/textures folder?
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

DDL wrote:Medzernik: can I confirm you have HDTPanim.utx in both your textures folder and your HDTP/textures folder?
Yes i have it. Don't worry i already resolved the situation and everything is working perfectly :)
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yay!

Honestly, HDTPanim.utx seems to be causing no end of problems: on some computers it absolutely HAS to be in the Deusex/HDTP/Textures folder and on others it has to be in Deusex/Textures. I have no idea what determines this.

Silly unreal engine.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

DDL wrote: Honestly, HDTPanim.utx seems to be causing no end of problems: on some computers it absolutely HAS to be in the Deusex/HDTP/Textures folder and on others it has to be in Deusex/Textures. I have no idea what determines this.
How the lines are specified in the INI maybe? That'd be the first place I'd look. Though if I recall, the original install put the files in both places.
medzernik
NSF

Post by medzernik »

DDL wrote:Yay!

Honestly, HDTPanim.utx seems to be causing no end of problems: on some computers it absolutely HAS to be in the Deusex/HDTP/Textures folder and on others it has to be in Deusex/Textures. I have no idea what determines this.

Silly unreal engine.
I put it all over the place and it works. Unreal engine is really silly especially regarding DirectInput in TNM and their cursed HUD system. I think that i'll switch to OpenGL from direct3d or just trash windows and go to linux. OpenGL renderer is just more appiealing to me :)

EDIT: Still Source is the best engine out there, no exceptions.
ggrotz
X-51

Post by ggrotz »

medzernik wrote:I put it all over the place and it works.
Yeah, this is one of the fun (silly) facts about Deus Ex. I set up a hook once (when I was doing the packed save file stuff) on CreateFile and logged it. It's amazing how many paths the EXE hammers to look for each file it accesses. I've half wondered if Deus Ex would run faster if you threw all the files in the main directory after that, but I haven't tried it yet.