Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Hitman Bloodmoney (nice game, the bonus ending was cool!):
30,89 ? @amazon.de

Edit: 1? ~ 1.35$ - which is quite extreme... :shock: So, the amazon-price is in this case almost equal to the steam-price while the examples of my former post are clearly under the steam-prices. 8)
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:
EER wrote:With the current dollar rates, it's almost half as expensive as normal retail over here :lol:
Yeah same here. It's a pretty good deal 8)

Hitman: Blood Money will cost me just about 219 kr. (40 dollars). In a store, I would pay at least 350 kr. for it, assuming I could find it anywhere; it's been sold out in all the game stores in my area since well before christmas as far as I can tell.
Is that series ultra-popular because IO Interactive is from that general part of the world or something? :P
Or are there just a lot of wannnabe assassins in your area. :P
For the record, btw, Hitman: Blood Money is in my local Walmart for $30, PC-DVD.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I have no idea, it was just sold out last time I checked.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Jonas wrote:
fox wrote:Don't you think you've paid enough for not being bombed with adds and bugged with spyware to bring you even more effective adds. Remember, we talk about fullprice games (, too).
I have yet to play a single game featuring in-game advertising
Intereting news:

"Internet giant Google has drawn up plans to compile psychological profiles of millions of web users by covertly monitoring the way they play online games."

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/s ... 61,00.html
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That may or may not scare me shitless.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

As if google wasn't watching you anyway.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I said nothing as to whether I was already scared.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

@EER: Yeah, it's pretty hefty how much data Google collects AND stores (which is the scary part)

@Jonas: My intention for posting this was mainly to show you what the future may look like and I am sure, ingame-advertising will grow amazingly fast. Your post about yet having to play a game featuring ingame adds will be out of date very soon. I still don't understand why you don't care about the related privacy issues but I don't think there's anything more I wanna do to convince you of their importance. Still hoping that you'll change your mind one day, when you're professional in the game-industry, and see that it's not about quality but purely about milking the cashcow (which in this case is the average gamer) more effectively.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Actually I'm pretty sure in many cases it's about securing funding. I'd be happy to throw some ads in my game to avoid having to beg EA or Eidos to buy my company and give me funding. It's just a matter of perspective. It's like how I said I want to make a game set in the present day because then I can use some great rock music for the sound track, with plenty of distorted guitars. Well in a present day game, ads would seem natural. The alternative is to make up ads for fake products to make the world seem plausible, might as well make them real ads to save my graphics artists' effort and secure some extra funding.

If I made a fantasy game or a sci-fi game set in 3046 (which is unlikely ever to happen, seeing how I definitely prefer near-future sci-fi), in-game advertising would seem weird as heck, and I wouldn't do it.

Also note there are different types of in-game advertising. I'm pretty sure the Alienware screensavers on the laptops in FEAR was a static texture. That's different from the ads in Battlefield, which collect all sorts of creepy data about you and how you play the game.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

Yes, as always, it's definitely a matter of perspective! To be honest, I have a pretty pessimistic view of the near future. I assume the worst case scenarios and often enough reality approves me to be correct. I won't support games that use dataminig (I have knowledge of). I know people like me will be the clear minority. Maybe I'm wrong but I really don't believe a good game with a good publisher needs to slave to the add-industry and to spy on it's well-paying customers.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

:? Ugh. Ads maybe, but psychological profiling? @_@ No thanks. I don't play Second Life or WoW anyway, not a big fan of MMOs, especially ones with a nice fat monthly fee :P
(actually, I recently tried SL after reading a few news stories about it. I wanted to see if it really was some kind of ridiculous pandemonium, fury of the worst the net has to offer, constantly besieged by hackers and griefers and scam artists. It was completely fucking boring. :( horrid looking world, few people, and nobody talking or doing anything besides standing around. i guess they were pming or something, I dunno. The only thing close to the news was some naked chick avatar ran up and started backing into me while I was making my character in the starting zone.
I've got a friend who's made over a thousand dollars in the last few months, coding shit and selling it to SL losers. Good for him, I say, but personally? I'm just gonna go back to spending my time with ET. I can't code for shit anyway :P)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Too many WoW clones. I so badly want to go back to Neocron - which pioneered Advertisements in MMOs. The good thing was that it was all seamless so it didn't look like a real world advert (except all that Alien ware crap which I'm considering removing from the Texture packs :D) Plus I think NC was the first MMOFPSRPG hybrid similar to SystemShock or Deus Ex.. But I wouldn't recommend paying for it as the company don't give good service. If you are interested in the game PM me and I can help you out.

It's a good game though. Nice cyberpunk environment.
ThalesA7X
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by ThalesA7X »

Yay for resurrecting old topics!

Yay for me posting after forever!

Anyways, about this topic..
I had someone add me on MSN messenger and I just talked to him, asking who he was. He added me awhile back but never said anything. All I knew was that it was for HDTP.

His question was about getting HDTP to work with the Steam release of DX. If anyone has gotten it to work, please email me or add me on msn at wkdesigns[at]gmail[dot]com

same email for msn by the way.

I told him his best bet was to post in this thread or talk to DDL but I am unsure of who is still around these days.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

fox wrote:Hitman Bloodmoney (nice game, the bonus ending was cool!):
30,89 ? @amazon.de

Edit: 1? ~ 1.35$ - which is quite extreme... :shock: So, the amazon-price is in this case almost equal to the steam-price while the examples of my former post are clearly under the steam-prices. 8)
I got Bioscock £1 cheaper, 1 day earlier, and actually got a physical copy of it by ordering online rather than from Steam.

Could anyone here explain how exactly Deus Ex is packed in the Steam Release? Are the standard System/Textures/Music etc. folder just in a .GCF or is it different?
Last edited by DaveW on Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

If I made a fantasy game or a sci-fi game set in 3046 (which is unlikely ever to happen, seeing how I definitely prefer near-future sci-fi), in-game advertising would seem weird as heck, and I wouldn't do it.
Points to Hellgate London.. Fucking Alien Ware ads! And then there is the flagship studios and Nvidia posters in game. It's so stupid. I want to make a mod that takes them out though I'll probably get sued for it lol. Hellgate London is the new Neocron IMO. Very similar games.