Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
cdelse
Mole Person

Patchy lighting?

Post by cdelse »

I recently reinstalled Deus Ex on my new PC to check out HDTP. However I am now noticing that the quality of the lighting in the game is much different than how I remembered it from playing years ago, The lighting seems to be very "patchy" as shown in the screens below. I have used D3D, OpenGL, and the advanced OpenGL renderer found here: http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/ However I see absolutely no difference between any of the renderers, other than the support of AA. Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

That does look wrong. Maybe the gamma is wrong, or you have vertex lighting on.
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

Looks like the brightness has been jacked all the way up. The default should be 50, but if it's at that already try making it lower.
cdelse
Mole Person

Post by cdelse »

The brightness is at a default of 50. I feel that 50 is the correct value for my monitor as any lower and it really gets hard to see things outside, even a bit indoors as well. Also, vertex lighting is not enabled.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Turn up monitor contrast then and check the gamma. If you've ever met an old game in a bar, the darkness flatters appearances.
ewanlaing
NSF

Post by ewanlaing »

i'm guessing that this is just the age of the game coming through. deus ex reborn should clear that up when it's released.
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

I have this problem myself since I use my TFT. I did a lot of research but found nothing helpful yet. You can notice the same problem on a lot of screenshots and videos floating around in the web, too.

This is a screen of my game:
http://dxzone.myexp.de/forum/attachment ... d=206&sid=
and the problem is directly connected with the NoLighting-option. If I switch it off, the game looks like this:
http://dxzone.myexp.de/forum/attachment ... d=207&sid=
Last edited by fox on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I've been playing with lighting like that for 2-3 years now. It doesn't look pretty, but you get used to it really fast. If we're lucky, using the New Vision project's high-res textures will fix it because better textures = better lighting.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Well, online multiplayer I guess. I remember cheats, something like "afraid of the dark", makes things easy. Imagine Doom 3 with lots of lighting.

Maybe 16bit textures are on in the screenshots? I don't really know. I have seen the weird banding shadows before, but it looks worse in the screenshots.
cdelse
Mole Person

Post by cdelse »

Everything is set to 32 bit and I messed with the gamma/brightness on my monitor, nothing seems to help.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Try changing your color depth to 16-bit, both ingame and for your desktop. My lighting scales like that too, but it never used to on my old computer (with a NVIDIA VANTA) or this computer before I got my new video card (was using an onboard Intel 64 MB chipset). Now with a modern card (Radeon 9250) I get that. *shrug* I'll try out changing the color depth, maybe look through the .ini's rendering options later...
cdelse
Mole Person

Post by cdelse »

Tried that. Lighting problem still remained and everything turned green when I got close to it.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Try reducing your resolution to 1024x768. I know it sounds stupid, but it may alleviate the problem a little.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
cdelse
Mole Person

Post by cdelse »

Still nothing.