Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
detlik
Mole Person

Need help

Post by detlik »

Hi everybody,
I bought Deus Ex recently and never played it before so I was just wondering if I should play it with original textures or if I should download HDTP or Vision mod.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Need help

Post by Jonas »

I highly recommend using New Vision. I would probably use HDTP too, but that's a slightly more radical change (even if they've managed to stay remarkably true to the original).
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

If it were me, I'd play it without Mods First but thats just me. Though I guess, New Vision won't take anything away from the original Experience.
I'd give HDTP (And Anyother Mods) a miss for the first playthrough though.
Just so you can experience the original for what it was/is.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
detlik
Mole Person

Post by detlik »

thank you,
guess I will try to overcome old graphics (I am sure I will love them after I will be some time in the game) and sometime when I will dug up Deus Ex (maybe after year or so) I will give mods a shot
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Yep, the graphics are awful for the first few minutes but after that you won't notice it any more.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Come now they are not that bad :smile:
I wouldn't say they were quite 'loveable' graphics but they're not atrociously bad.
detlik
Mole Person

Post by detlik »

huh, when I configured it to higher res (1600x1200 32bit) I like the graphics :D
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Yeah nice, high, sexy resolutions and your sorted :P
Enjoy :)
Come back to the forums if you get stuck/looking for mods.
Someone here will be able to point you in the right direction.
detlik
Mole Person

Post by detlik »

Thanks a lot,
the more I play it the more I love it so soon I will come mod-hungry looking here :)
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

And the best has yet to come.
PM or start a thread on this forum when you become Mod Hungry.
I can help you out. :smile:
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jonas wrote:I would probably use HDTP too, but that's a slightly more radical change (even if they've managed to stay remarkably true to the original).
?????
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You stayed true to DX, but not true enough to not try vanilla DX if it's your first time playing, in other words. I feel that using HDTP makes the game look a little more "shiny" (best word I can think of) than the original, which alters the atmosphere ever so slightly, whereas New Vision remains nice and grimy.

Hopefully I don't have to point out that this is all completely subjective.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It's an interesting debate. I haven't played DX in too long, especially with HDTP. I know a couple people who haven't played through the game yet, but I think I'd recommend using HDTP for modern gamers used to much better graphics. I figure that people who loved DX would be partial to the vanilla.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jonas wrote:You stayed true to DX, but not true enough to not try vanilla DX if it's your first time playing, in other words. I feel that using HDTP makes the game look a little more "shiny" (best word I can think of) than the original, which alters the atmosphere ever so slightly, whereas New Vision remains nice and grimy.

Hopefully I don't have to point out that this is all completely subjective.
I kinda get where you're coming from Jonas, but there are some objects in the game that we tried to keep as close to the original as possible, it was just very difficult to do given the scale we were working on- the 512x512 limitations were extremely annoying with HDTP, when we went to do New Vision to discover the almost unlimited nature of the new OpenGL enhancements it improved the quality in a big way- I was very excited when they first came out actually because it gave us a lot more control in terms of individual details- something we were really lacking with HDTP, Suffice to say dave went pretty crazy with the detail overlays- and I frankly don't blame him, after seeing a few of his examples I too went a bit crazy with them on the few textures I worked on, they looked pretty awesome.

I hope HDTP comes out soon, then the textures can be reviewed in their entirety. Some of that textures I worked on I'm sorta regretting in some ways how I did them- but I was a lot younger back then.
ghostdog
Thug

Post by ghostdog »

My main fear about HDTP is that it could make significant changes on character looks. Even though Gunther's model is nicely done, it felt like it was much too different from the original.