Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Re: Deus Ex 3

Post by DDL »

FirstFirstFirstTHIRDFirstFirstFirstTHIRDFirstTHIRDFirstFirstTHIRDFirstTHIRDFirst..

The perspective shifting is a bit..jarring.
metche
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by metche »

Meh if the storyline is superb then that's not something that would bother me personally :)

First the first time in a very long time I felt a candle light up for Deus Ex again.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

If... the story is superb, you don't care about the gameplay?

Have you considered watching films or reading books instead? ;)

(Note that I don't think I'll mind the shifting personally, it worked well in the Rainbow Six: Vegas games.)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Jonas wrote:If... the story is superb, you don't care about the gameplay?

Have you considered watching films or reading books instead? ;)
lol she walked right into that one heh.

The game will be fun to play no doubt just as Vegas 2 is, but I question if it'll give me the Deus Ex vibe when I play it- I'm still doubtful, even moreso now that I've seen the gameplay.
metche
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by metche »

No, I believe what I was trying to infer was that if the storyline was good I wouldn't mind the 1st person to 3rd person shift. That does not constitute the entirety of game-play, gentlemen.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's just kind of an odd thing to say, given the shifting doesn't have that much to do with the story (unlike the shifting in the original game, which was limited to third-person conversations). But hey, it's cool, no worries. Here's hoping it won't be an issue.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

I dunno..there were some bits where he punched people out from behind where the sudden AAAND BACK TO FIRST shift was so abrupt I couldn't work out where the hell everything was. ("wait, I'm THIS side of the body now?")

I'm probably just old and slow, mind you.

It certainly looked very pretty, and as noted I'll no doubt play it anyway, but I kinda wish it was going down the 'spiritual successor' route, rather than 'prequel'.
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

I would think that the better the storyline is the more noticeable the fact that they didn't really care about Deus Ex's story would be. If it's a poorly implemented stock plot you'll be thinking that it's a poorly implemented stock plot, if its superb then you'll be taking a lot more notice of the individual elements, the implications of those elements, and how it all fits together. That's when continuity becomes a problem.

Actually, that's when a lot of story related things become a problem. Bad stories can get away with all kinds of stuff. They're bad stories. You expect them to be bad, sometimes their badness is part of the appeal. That's what b-movies are for. Good stories (and even stories that at appear to be good at first glance) get held to a different standard, all of a sudden failing to do the research, failing to satisfy fridge logic, and plot holes you can drive a planet through are major problems.

If you've got an otherwise superb story then one or two things that wouldn't cause you to even take notice in a lesser story can bring the whole thing down.

-

Note that everything outside of the first paragraph is entirely unrelated to Human Revolution and what is related to it starts with an "I would think...'
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Having seen some non cinematic promo glitz at last, as much as I'm looking forward to playing Deus Ex 3, I'm finally on the side of "this should be the spiritual successor not prequel" thinkers. Still looks like a hoot to me.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Did anyone else get the sensation that the character was a train just gliding along? It just didnt seem like he was walking at all...just seemed like he was gliding lol :shock:

also that kids head pissed me off, i just wanted to punch him, but thats the price i pay for the video lol

but yeah it looks amazing. it would be nice to get a feeling for the music too, thats one thing that helped create the mood and atmosphere of the first game. some of the models looked a little stiff, but since it has another year before it comes out, lots can happen in that time
metche
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by metche »

Hashi wrote:Did anyone else get the sensation that the character was a train just gliding along? It just didnt seem like he was walking at all...just seemed like he was gliding lol :shock:
Yes! Like he was on rails - I do hope they will give him a bit of weight. Now that would wind me up.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

metche wrote:
Hashi wrote:Did anyone else get the sensation that the character was a train just gliding along? It just didnt seem like he was walking at all...just seemed like he was gliding lol :shock:
Yes! Like he was on rails - I do hope they will give him a bit of weight. Now that would wind me up.
The only (first person)game I know to ever give the PC proper physical attributes is Dark Messiah, and yes it would we awesome if they implemented it in more games.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
DDL

Post by DDL »

Made it terribly fucking annoying trying to move small distances, though: Sareth (?) could only move in whole steps, so shuffling to a cliff edge didn't really work: it was "tap forward: don't move...tap forward again: don't move...tap forward again: stride off cliff".

But yes, other than a few niggles like that, it was ace.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

DDL wrote:Made it terribly fucking annoying trying to move small distances, though: Sareth (?) could only move in whole steps, so shuffling to a cliff edge didn't really work: it was "tap forward: don't move...tap forward again: don't move...tap forward again: stride off cliff".

But yes, other than a few niggles like that, it was ace.
Yeah, Dark Messiah is really really good. Unfortunately its also one of a kind afaik. It also blows that the makers (arkane studios) seem to have run into financial difficulties... they don't even seem to be doing anything at all. :cry:

I wish Eidos would release proper gameplay trailers, showing off one mission, and then solving it in a few different ways.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Vy_Linvail
Thug

Post by Vy_Linvail »

Stylistically it looks ace, I love the whole Blade Runnerish Cyberpunkness that they've managed to grasp.

Setting wise it also looks good, but I can already see massive holes in continuity. Prequels are a tremendous problem in this way and it seems like film and game studios alike are unable to stick to the ground rules set down by the very thing that inspired them, instead opting to wade forward into their own myopic expression of how the first game/film went.

First question- why the VTOL, 'Aliens' style drop ships? In DX 1 they still used helicopters, albeit sleek, futuristic stealth helicopters but helis nonetheless. What so they managed to advance Human augmentation from mechnical/robotic to nanotech but they couldn't quite grasp how to carry on making jet dropships??