Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Re: Deus Ex 3

Post by Hassat Hunter »

If he jumps off his little platform (not the first time, when he chases you around) I found that if I shoot him during that animation, he gets stuck. And I can pummel him to 25% HP without him doing any retaliation (and then a script triggers that makes him run away, but by then he's weak enough).
http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?ac ... st&id=9497
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

Jonas wrote: But enough of my whining, let us never speak of Alpha Protocol again, the first game to somehow be a greater disappointment than Invisible War.
<Insert generic, fashionable, Hardcore-Deus-Ex-fan pleasing comment about how Deus Ex Invisible war absolutely sucks and has nothing on the original - Original is King! It can't be touched! - And hence feel cool about how "in" and hip you are about bashing the seqeul that everyone hates.>
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hashi wrote:<Insert generic, fashionable, Hardcore-Deus-Ex-fan pleasing comment about how Deus Ex Invisible war absolutely sucks and has nothing on the original - Original is King! It can't be touched! - And hence feel cool about how "in" and hip you are about bashing the seqeul that everyone hates.>
Top marks for sarcasm, but I'm afraid it was poorly deployed - I don't think Invisible War sucks, I think it's a very nice game, however it was still a massive disappointment.

But not as massive as Alpha Protocol.

I see my plan to never speak of it again has failed.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
chris the cynic
Human Encyclopaedia

Post by chris the cynic »

Hashi wrote:
Jonas wrote: But enough of my whining, let us never speak of Alpha Protocol again, the first game to somehow be a greater disappointment than Invisible War.
<Insert generic, fashionable, Hardcore-Deus-Ex-fan pleasing comment about how Deus Ex Invisible war absolutely sucks and has nothing on the original - Original is King! It can't be touched! - And hence feel cool about how "in" and hip you are about bashing the seqeul that everyone hates.>
You are aware that Jonas has spoken out in defense of Invisible War more than anyone else on this forum, aren't you? Regardless, keeping that in mind, could you explain to me what the point of your post was?
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

chris the cynic wrote:
Hashi wrote:
You are aware that Jonas has spoken out in defense of Invisible War more than anyone else on this forum, aren't you? Regardless, keeping that in mind, could you explain to me what the point of your post was?
I was not aware of that, thank you for bringing that to my attention. I could explain the point of my post, but its a moot point now anyway
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

Poor poor Jonas.

I already completed AP 4 times by now... probably going for 5 after the patch.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Matoro
Thug

Post by Matoro »

Is Deus Ex 3 going to be also for the PS3 and Xbox360? If so, wouldn't it be sucky? Because Deus Ex 2 sucked because they removed lots of the great things of Deus Ex 1, because of lack of buttons on the Xbox 1 controller I think. I mean Deus Ex 2 would of been good if they just left it as a CyberPunk universe without focusing on how they are supposed to put it onto xbox.

Eh, I'm not sure. Deus Ex 3 might be good. But I got a feeling that they are going to focus on combat than on RPG. But out of all the Deus Ex games, I think 'The Nameless Mod' rules them all! Good job Off Topic Productions. :)

All these games now a days are focusing on graphics. And don't think out side the box. Why? Because game companies don't like taking risks. I mean, I wouldn't mind the Deus Ex 3 game was Thief 2 graphics and physics. As long as its a good game, I 'm good.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

The criticism against DX2 is well known, and the developers should have that in mind. I think I remember someone saying in an interview that it would be PC-centered. At least game console hardware has advanced past 64mb DDR1-SDRAM. I didn't play DX1's PS2 port, but I'm told it worked yet didn't quite fit with the controller. Deus Ex took advantage of the PC platform well.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

justanotherfan wrote:I think I remember someone saying in an interview that it would be PC-centered.
Somehow, I doubt this.
Matoro wrote:Is Deus Ex 3 going to be also for the PS3 and Xbox360? If so, wouldn't it be sucky? Because Deus Ex 2 sucked because they removed lots of the great things of Deus Ex 1, because of lack of buttons on the Xbox 1 controller I think.
Not necessarily, no matter how much I call 'consoletard' and similar things, consoles are not inherently a worse platform than the PC, and neither are its users. The lack of buttons does limit user interface somewhat though, but games like Bioshock showed us you could still do good amounts of weapon/ammo/power and keep it usable even on a controller. The only problem seems to be that developers are convinced that players want simpler systems(well they seem simpler to us, but most of us have been gaming for a long time for a newbie, it probably seems quite complex, and people generally have a low boredom threshold when it comes to getting entertained(but I digress). But maybe its time to start climbing back up the ladder of complexity? Jus' saying, the new generation gamers have been going for a few years now...)
Matoro wrote:Why? Because game companies don't like taking risks.
This is true. But remember that games cost millions of dollars and years to develop. That's quite a big investment. That's not to say they couldn't be better about minimizing the costs though. Using engines for a longer period of time for example, or reskinning old enemies(hey, it worked for WoW!) and otherwise reusing finished content could probably save the publishers quite a bit of money in the end.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Decided I'd look it up. The DX3 forum FAQ has this to say-
"Windows, Xbox 360, and PS3 have been confirmed as supported platforms. There are no Mac or Wii versions planned. "

It looks like my source was pretty old -- the Edge interview from Oct 2008. The article isn't coming up anymore, but here's quotes taken from it (sourced from http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/55483)
Jean-Francois Dugas- "We don't know exactly which platforms we're going to be out on...If we're to go console we will want to keep the complexity alive. We want the menu interface and controller to feel simple without risking any of their potential....for us, console-isation isn't about dumbing down features"
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Jaedar wrote:The lack of buttons does limit user interface somewhat though, but games like Bioshock showed us you could still do good amounts of weapon/ammo/power and keep it usable even on a controller.
Fucking mass effect 2 and use/sprint/take cover = one key.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

That's not exactly unavoidable though, you shouldn't really blame that on the consoles, you should blame it on BioWare's interface designer.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Jonas wrote:That's not exactly unavoidable though, you shouldn't really blame that on the consoles, you should blame it on BioWare's interface designer.
Yup, they did it so it would be easier to sprint into cover for the player afaik. And I mean, its sort of becoming standard for some game studios(coughubisoftcough) to have one button do several things. I guess they think its better that way. Personally, I didn't really mind it in ME2 that much, it was annoying on a few occasions, but nothing serious.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I like context sensitive controls in general, but they must be used extremely carefully. For example, in Conviction almost every interaction is context sensitive and just done with a single button, and in most cases it works really well, you just walk up to something and you know that button will do what you need to do.

But then once in a while there's sort of a collision of functionality and you end up sabotaged by the controls - for example the game has a really hard time knowing if you want to open a window or jump right through it, smashing the glass and making noise. It also tends to prioritise picking up weapons over environmental stuff, so you want to open a door and you end up ditching your pimped-out silenced MP5 for a shitty noisy AKS74 or something.

There's one really bad point in the co-op campaign where you're extracted in the middle of a fire fight by a helicopter, and the rope you have to climb is right next to a ledge, so 4 times out of 5 you'll end up jumping over the ledge and getting shot so you fall down instead of just climbing up to safety.

The Hitman games tend to do context sensitive controls really well.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Undisputed
UNATCO

Post by Undisputed »

Jonas wrote: The Hitman games tend to do context sensitive controls really well.
Very smooth and fluently all around.