glide2x.dll error

Post by Muze »

I have these mods installed in this order

Deus Ex GOTY 1112fm
Kenties Launcher
New Vision Mod
Enhanced Renderer DX10
HDTP

I can run the game with the original shortcut and these mods installed.

When I try to run the game with the HDTP shortcut I get this error

This program can't start because glide2x.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Then the game loads in a tiny window.

I tried with the OpenGL renderer instead. I am choosing the correct rendering devices in the launcher. I've tried all of the rendering choices for the hell of it.

I tried reinstalling the game and mods. I even downloaded glide2x.dll into windows/system32
I know it's a file for 3dfx glide renderer which is why this is so puzzling.

Windows 7 x64
Geforce GTX 470

Please help!
m3rc1l3ss
Silhouette

Re: glide2x.dll error

Post by m3rc1l3ss »

Did you ever launch Deus Ex before installing all that?
Hmm, I really wish I had a signature...
Muze
Mole Person

Post by Muze »

Thanks for the reply. Yes I certainly did.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Muze wrote:Thanks for the reply. Yes I certainly did.
I thought the Glide Renderer was there for the crappy Voodoo Cards. Anywho, in the DXini under Engine.Engine (when you have DX10 as your renderer) is this line there?: GameRenderDevice= D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice.
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Renmazuo
Thug

Post by Renmazuo »

bobby 55 wrote:crappy Voodoo Cards
Them's fightin' words... [-(

* clutches 3 Voodoo 5's tightly to chest and snarls at anyone who so much as glances at them
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Renmazuo wrote:
bobby 55 wrote:crappy Voodoo Cards
Them's fightin' words... [-(

* clutches 3 Voodoo 5's tightly to chest and snarls at anyone who so much as glances at them
Apologies, I forgot they could run DX8 and out performed NVidia's 2 series. :P
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
fingler
Mole Person

Post by fingler »

I thought the Glide Renderer was there for the crappy Voodoo Cards. Anywho, in the DXini under Engine.Engine (when you have DX10 as your renderer) is this line there?: GameRenderDevice= D3D10Drv.D3D10RenderDevice.
I don't think the op is very interested in solving this, but I am, I have the same problem. No my dxini didn't have that line, I added it under engine.engine, dont know if adding it is what you were suggesting but I tried it out anyway, didn't work though.
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

bobby 55 wrote:I thought the Glide Renderer was there for the crappy Voodoo Cards.
You call crappy those cards that introduced a whole new level of 3D gaming to PC users in 1996?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

By modern standards? Yep, pretty crappy!
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

Jonas wrote:By modern standards? Yep, pretty crappy!
Of course I don't mean to appraise Voodoo cards by modern standards. There are not modern voodoo cards. I just mean I have lots of respect for a company that produced those cards and created an API that many considered way superior to both Direct X and Open GL at that time.

You young guys have no respect for your old men... [-(

(Sorry for the OT)
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Salk wrote:
Of course I don't mean to appraise Voodoo cards by modern standards. There are not modern voodoo cards. I just mean I have lots of respect for a company that produced those cards and created an API that many considered way superior to both Direct X and Open GL at that time.

(Sorry for the OT)
I don't really think there was much of a fight between Glide and OpenGL/Direct X - Glide wiped the floor with them, just look at comparable Unreal screenshots at the time. Plus they led the way in 3D Accelerators until they got complacent and Nvidia assimilated them.

And now Nvidia are dicks. Pretty pleased with how that all turned out.
dx_blaster
Thug

Post by dx_blaster »

DaveW wrote:
Salk wrote:

(Sorry for the OT)
I don't really think there was much of a fight between Glide and OpenGL/Direct X - Glide wiped the floor with them, just look at comparable Unreal screenshots at the time. Plus they led the way in 3D Accelerators until they got complacent and Nvidia assimilated them.

And now Nvidia are dicks. Pretty pleased with how that all turned out.
Wikipedia:
Glide is based on the basic geometry and "world view" of OpenGL.

Gilde API was "just" a rip-off mid 90's OpenGL Standard.
Problem was the hardware that time was no potent enough, so 3dfx was very smart
to just take what was needed for games and put it in a chip that can handle it.

But as hardware evolved very fast the last 10 years, GPU’s are more potent in processing power than CPU's nowadays. So GPU's today are not single minded chips any more, they are complex parallel processor arrays, capable of things like CUDA, OpenCL... and 3D hardware acceleration of cause :)
Like smart phones today, they can handle calls too if u insist. :mrgreen:

So in the mid to late 90's, the beginning of consumer 3D HW acceleration, 3dfx was with it's Voodoo products the modern standard. Nvidia, Matrox, Ati, S3 and many less known players, were behind 3dfx at the beginning, today we know who lost the race. There is no real winner but Microsoft’s DirectX but that’s a different matter. (In the end I hope 'ray tracing' wins the game and kills all other todays 3D API crap)
wbr
DX_Blaster
sorry for my bad English it is not my native tongue

latest cool thing i found on the net:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y414Q7vV ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoFe8hRy ... r_embedded
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Ray tracing almost certainly will "win" eventually (though it's not a victory so much as a completely different game), but that's not going to be for quite a while yet. Fingers crossed we won't have to wait too long though :D
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

But probably not ;)

Actually you never know, technically "unlimited detail" is the closest we can get to how the world really works, it's not unthinkable that computers may at some point become powerful enough to handle it. That's my reasoning behind raytracing at least, it's basically how it works in the real world, as opposed to all the faking we're doing in computer graphics right now, so I see no real reason why we wouldn't do it once our computers become powerful enough.

The difference is that raytracing "just" depends on your processing power, and if you have a reasonably fast eight-core CPU you should be able to run real-time raytracing. I think it was eight cores at least, I'm referring to some demo Intel or somebody made ages ago. "Unlimited detail" on the other hand - sorry but I forget the proper term for what they're doing - requires ridiculous amounts of storage, like insane amounts of storage, and... well storage is going to be a bigger problem for a while longer I think, especially as we seem to be moving towards faster drives instead of larger drives (I just went from a 200 GB HDD to a 120 GB SSD, because the speed is currently far more important than the storage space). Even once we get large enough drives to store all those fucking voxels they're working with, we're not going to want to fill an entire drive with one game, so storage capacity will need to surpass the demands of a single game by quite a bit before it's feasible, I figure. And I have no idea how RAM ties into that, I assume you need to be able to store at least a fair bit of the world in the RAM, which is even more expensive per bit.

So... yeah these things are in the future, but I figure Raytracing is in the near future while "unlimited detail" is quite a bit further out.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine