Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Playing Deus Ex for the First Time

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:Daggerfall was way bigger than Morrowind, which in itself is bigger than Oblivion. Can't speak for Skyrim but most posts point to a similar or smaller size to Oblivion.

There goes scope. As far as details... that's probably in the graphics. Although Morrowinds dungeons are far more impressive than the technological superior Oblivion... among many other 'details'. So there it just depends on what details means.
Overall, I would still disagree though.
So what exactly is your position, Hassat? If the technological development had stopped in 1998, games would not only have been better than today, but anything positive that happened since 98 would have happened anyway because whatever advances were based on technology aren't important to you? Technology has brought nothing useful with it? Is that it?

When I say "scope", I don't mean "size". Otherwise I would've said "size". Scope is a different thing, perhaps a slightly more vague thing, it encompasses the possibility space rather than just the space. Here is a picture of Daggerfall:

I love exploration. It's like my main thing. But procedurally generated landscapes devoid of designed intent or interesting content takes the joy right out of exploration for me. There is nothing interesting there to find, it's all been spat out by a computer. Skyrim works for me because I can take a walk along a random vector and there'll be cool landscapes, interesting landmarks, and I'll not only sometimes but often stumble upon some little thing a designer has left for me to find. It's not just a space connecting designed bubbles of towns and cities, it's a world.

Daggerfall couldn't do that even if they had the manpower. Daggerfall apparently couldn't even do hills.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jaedar wrote:
gamer0004 wrote:I always thought Morrowind was bigger than Oblivion too, but Oblivion is, in fact, bigger. Landmass in Morrowind spanned about 26 square kilometres whereas the landmass in Oblivion was more than 40 kilometres in size. The fact that Morrowind feels bigger is due to slower movement speed, no fast travel and more content. I think Skyrim is about as big as Oblivion.
No, oblivion feels smaller because its completely devoid of content or environmental variety. And morrowind has fast travel.
When I say Morrowind has more content that's the same thing as saying Oblivion has less content, and Morrowind does not have fast travel. It has silt striders which is a completely different thing (it costs gold, one cannot use them to travel unless they're near the silt strider &c. This reduces its use and thus the frequency of use). It also has divine intervention scrolls, but they teleport back to specific towns and cost money (and there aren't that many of them I think). As such, I use fast travel very often in both Skyrim and Oblivion, whereas I rarely used silt striders and divine intervention scrolls.

@Jonas: I agree with you. Technology is much more advanced nowadays and more can be done with the same number of people. At the same time standards have risen as well which reduces the total amount of content in favour of quality (more polygons, better graphics, better sound and music and voice acting). This increase in quality is so monumental that nowadays teams of more than 80 people are employed to make games with less content (size, scope) than a number of years ago (say 1998-2005, the golden days of open world games). And because of the high development costs, those AAA games need to sell, a lot, and thus developers can't take much risk.
Smaller teams focussing less on quality (an acceptable level of quality can be obtained by a much smaller team) and more on content can make bigger and more diverse games.
Last edited by gamer0004 on Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Intervention scrolls, mark and recall, silt striders, mages guild teleport. That is fast travel. Oblivion has teleportation. Skyrim has caravans and teleportation.
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jaedar wrote:Intervention scrolls, mark and recall, silt striders, mages guild teleport. That is fast travel. Oblivion has teleportation. Skyrim has caravans and teleportation.
It's not the same thing as fast travel. It's different in its effects on gameplay, it's called different and it's different in nature (fast travel is basically the game doing the walking for the player, silt striders and the rest is a form of travel which doesn't require player input by its very nature).
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

No, what I am saying is that it was infact possible with the technology of the past to make open worlds. It's not technology of today that made it possible. Improve upon it (depending on your views of improved that is, Morrowind >>>> Oblivion after all), yes, that's modern technology. Custom made worlds exist (see Baldur's Gate) yet still the more-recent Diablo II used randomly generated maps. All to do with preference and intent, not the technology.

I'm not going to say games would be better. I am not going to say games would be worse. I am just saying the fancy technology of today isn't needed t make good games. Or openworld games.
Not to mention we would have more variety, and less people would be needed with less years of developing per title. Am I the only one who sees benefits of that?
What real gameplay benefit has HDR has so far? Do stealthbased games use it and define their light/visibility rating on it? So far I have seen none.
Do physics really add so much above just random placed strategic destructive tools? What gameplay effect has bump mapping? Do waving trees add more to the game than static?
While physics can add to a game, I haven't really seen any use it properly to miss it if it was gone. The rest is pretty much only graphics.
And yes, I could do without
"Blabla will suck since it doesn't have the latest FPS graphics!"
"It's a RTS"
"Soooo?"
"Are you really suggesting making every vehicle as detailed here as Battlefield III? Seriously?"
"Hell, yeah"
"Goddmn graphic whores kill the industry :("
There is nothing interesting there to find, it's all been spat out by a computer.
One could say that of all games...
Word-nitpicking aside, as mentioned, during that time where also manually designed RPG's (Ultima, Might & Magic). So it's not by limitation that they made random dungeons but by design (or maybe lazyness).
Skyrim works for me because I can take a walk along a random vector and there'll be cool landscapes, interesting landmarks, and I'll not only sometimes but often stumble upon some little thing a designer has left for me to find. It's not just a space connecting designed bubbles of towns and cities, it's a world.
Same for Morrowind. And oddly enough the technological superior Oblivion lacked that. Once again, something that has to do with design, art, vision... NOT technology.
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

But we all agree that design and art are more important than technology. Good design and art combined with bad technology can still be great (Morrowind, Deus Ex, Gothic, Tales of Phantasia, Rayman 2), whereas 'bad' design and art combined with good technology (Oblivion) kind of sucks. And I think most of us like old games and think that the latest technology isn't required to make great games.
Thing is, new technology improves things. If anything, holding everything constant, a game with new technology will be better (better design possibilities or better looking or more content). The problem isn't the technology. The problem is what it's used for. The increase in technical possibilities has shifted the focus of game design away from large, complex games to more focused, smaller games. Nowadays, a tire might have more polygons than a whole character model in Deus Ex. New technology sells and rather than marketing content (which is very difficult) studios market the 'experience' of their games, of which graphics (but also design/art of its elements) are an important element. This focus reduces the scope of new games. But that's not a problem inherent to new technology, it's the way the industry operates currently. But I am quite positive the industry will change (in fact, the games industry is incredibly dynamic) so more medium-sized teams start making games with a focus on content rather than using technology to produce a highly concentrated experience like CoD.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hassat Hunter wrote:No, what I am saying is that it was infact possible with the technology of the past to make open worlds. It's not technology of today that made it possible. Improve upon it (depending on your views of improved that is, Morrowind >>>> Oblivion after all), yes, that's modern technology. Custom made worlds exist (see Baldur's Gate) yet still the more-recent Diablo II used randomly generated maps. All to do with preference and intent, not the technology.
Yeah I concede that point. I'd be interested to know how Daggerfall managed that seamless open world though. Modern games have pretty sophisticated streaming and LOD, even with how crap Daggerfall looks, I find it hard to believe they loaded the entire world into memory all at once. They must've done some streaming or something, which is pretty badass for the time.
Not to mention we would have more variety, and less people would be needed with less years of developing per title. Am I the only one who sees benefits of that?
Wrong on the former point, right on the latter. Hey, look - you don't even need computers to make good games. You know what's a good game? Chess. You know what's an even better game? Go. You want stories in your games? Mansions of Madness. Descent. Tabletop RPGs. Instead of stopping the technology in 1998 or whenever you decided that game development was going downhill, why not stop it in 1970 before the first computer game? Holy shit dude, you don't even need a team to make huge board games, you can do it alone.

Technology gives us more options. Computers gave us the option of making digital games, just as advances in physics let us do stuff like Trespasser or Half-Life 2, and advances in animation and graphical power let us do the super-scripted Call of Duty games. You don't like those? Well cry harder, Hassat, there are millions of people who do. Don't worry about whether lots of people are playing games you don't like, just concentrate on the games you do like.

And this thing about making games with less people? You can still do that. It's just that nobody does because the games made with more people are way more impressive. If smaller games with less people were genuinely better games, they would beat the larger games on the marketplace. Instead, they're different games, and good games of either type live on. You got your Calls of Duty and Skyrims and you got your Braids and Worlds of Goo. But none of the large studios do that! No, of course they bloody don't, that's what makes them large! #-o
What real gameplay benefit has HDR has so far? Do stealthbased games use it and define their light/visibility rating on it? So far I have seen none.
HDR has the benefit that it looks about a hundred times better than bloom. It's a purely visual thing, not everything has to be about gameplay after all.
Do physics really add so much above just random placed strategic destructive tools? What gameplay effect has bump mapping? Do waving trees add more to the game than static?
Most studios don't use their physics beyond making the game more spectacular, which in my mind is totally valid. Some, however, base their entire games around physics. Remember The Incredible Machine? Really simple 2D physics simulation, and the entire game was built around it and literally could not have existed in the same form without it. Trespasser. Half-Life 2. Just because not everyone uses it well, that doesn't mean it has no actual use.

Bump mapping and animated trees? Those are specifically visual effects. What does a flight stick add to the visuals of a flight simulation? Nothing. That's not what it's for.
And yes, I could do without
"Blabla will suck since it doesn't have the latest FPS graphics!"
"It's a RTS"
"Soooo?"
"Are you really suggesting making every vehicle as detailed here as Battlefield III? Seriously?"
"Hell, yeah"
"Goddmn graphic whores kill the industry :("
Are you saying you could do without whiny idiots on the Internet? I think I can get behind that, Hassat. But trust me, there were whiny idiots on the Internet since the Internet was invented. If they didn't have graphics to complain about, they'd complain about something else. In fact they do complain about lots of other things, but go ahead and focus on your own pet peeve.
One could say that of all games...
Cute :roll:
Word-nitpicking aside, as mentioned, during that time where also manually designed RPG's (Ultima, Might & Magic). So it's not by limitation that they made random dungeons but by design (or maybe lazyness).
Argh no this post is already too long, I'm not gonna sit here and try to explain to you why Daggerfall could only have existed back then precisely because its sparsity of content. It wasn't because they wanted it to be largely empty and generic, it wasn't because they were lazy, it was resources and technology and if you refuse to take my word for it then so be it because I'm not getting further into that.

But fuck it. We can all go back to playing Chess when you're the emperor of the world. It's a fine game, I'm sure nobody will complain for long.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Hassat Hunter
Illuminati

Post by Hassat Hunter »

I know about boardgames, cardgames. Regularly play them. Obviously we're talking about PC gaming here. And yes, you do not need stunning tech to make good or impressive games. The run for "better graphics" is definitely harming more than helping the industry...
Jonas wrote:Well cry harder, Hassat, there are millions of people who do. Don't worry about whether lots of people are playing games you don't like, just concentrate on the games you do like.
Except they become more and more uncommon and corrupted to that particular side of gaming I dislike.
I like KOTOR? WoW-fied!
I like BioWare RPG's? They now make FPS games!
But what about Dragon Age, that was fun? DRAGON AGE 2!
I like isometric RPG's like Baldur's Gate? Too bad, RPG's are now all First-person. Not all bad as can be seen in Bloodlines though. Still, a troubling movement.
Not even talking about the ways of Adventure games or racing games (well, on PC that is for the last)... :/
And has there been a single 3D RTS I liked? Nope. Still waiting for a good old one like Red Alert or Age of Empires 2.

All by all, not really looking that shiny unless one likes FPS.
It's just that nobody does because the games made with more people are way more impressive.
I find TNM more impressive than DX:HR. How 'bout that?
Even if you would double the amount of modders of OTP to make up for the twice as long development cycle, still a fraction of the people who worked on that...
But none of the large studios do that! No, of course they bloody don't, that's what makes them large! #-o
Avalanche (Just Cause II) does. Although not sure if it fits your description of "large". Rockstar does it too. Pretty sure they're large.
HDR has the benefit that it looks about a hundred times better than bloom. It's a purely visual thing, not everything has to be about gameplay after all.
However "purely visual thing's" do...
1) Need additional people and time to implent
2) Need additional QA to see if properly implented without issues
3) Costs more than generic lightning, so more copies need to be sold.
4) Adds zilch to gameplay
I personally have gameplay additions to tech than just pure visual ones, doing nothing more than bloat the already bloatness of modern graphics.
Remember The Incredible Machine? Really simple 2D physics simulation, and the entire game was built around it and literally could not have existed in the same form without it.
Well said. It uses rudementiary physics, nothing PsychX we have now, and an entire game could run around it. Back in the DOS-time! What we're you saying about modern tech being needed?
What does a flight stick add to the visuals of a flight simulation? Nothing. That's not what it's for.
Except that's probably not a vis-effect, but more a texture or mesh. There is no fancy additional map needed to add the stick. Old DOS-games could do the stick. And as said Elite existed waay before even Daggerfall, and was pretty much what one would call "open-world"...
Are you saying you could do without whiny idiots on the Internet? I think I can get behind that, Hassat. But trust me, there were whiny idiots on the Internet since the Internet was invented. If they didn't have graphics to complain about, they'd complain about something else. In fact they do complain about lots of other things, but go ahead and focus on your own pet peeve.
No, I am complaining about graphics having too much to tell in game reviews or sale figures. Like it's the only quality a game has. As soon as people learn graphics ain't everything, much would improve in gameland.
It wasn't because they wanted it to be largely empty and generic
You sure, they pretty much did so on purpose with Oblivion... and Fallout 3 (by hear-say that one).
Can somebody tell me how I can get a custom avatar?
Oh wait, I already got one...
Jaedar
Illuminati

Post by Jaedar »

Hassat Hunter wrote: And has there been a single 3D RTS I liked? Nope.
Sacrifice?
Starcraft 2?
ehhhh. uhm..... ahhh
Dawn of war maybe?
"Delays are temporary; mediocrity is forever."
odio ergo sum
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Jaedar wrote:Starcraft 2?
Singleplayer notwithstanding, if you didn't like StarCraft 2, you didn't like StarCraft.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

Jaedar wrote:
Hassat Hunter wrote: And has there been a single 3D RTS I liked? Nope.
Sacrifice?
Starcraft 2?
ehhhh. uhm..... ahhh
Dawn of war maybe?
Rome: Total War, Medieval II: Total War, perhaps Shogun 2 and Imperial? (Haven't played those yet) Soldiers: Heroes of WWII? Codename: Panzers: Phase One? Especially the Total War games are awesome and would not have been possible without the advancements in technology (though Medieval II wasn't much of an improvement except for graphics; in fact it made certain bad elements of R:TW even worse).
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Slightly back on topic but Kentie has released a new version of his .exe that comes with a mod loader feature and released v28 of the DirectX 10 renderer.
This fixes the black screen issue that many (including myself) were getting with HDR switched on.

http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/#downloads

What's nicer is that the new Data Directories feature isn't predetermined by the launcher, but detects the folders automatically.
For example, I have a separate folder and line in my .ini for updated maps for the NVMappack under Paths=..\NewVision\Maps\*.dx
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

I like KOTOR? WoW-fied!
I like BioWare RPG's? They now make FPS games!
But what about Dragon Age, that was fun? DRAGON AGE 2!
I like isometric RPG's like Baldur's Gate? Too bad, RPG's are now all First-person. Not all bad as can be seen in Bloodlines though. Still, a troubling movement.
Not even talking about the ways of Adventure games or racing games (well, on PC that is for the last)...
And has there been a single 3D RTS I liked? Nope. Still waiting for a good old one like Red Alert or Age of Empires 2.
As people grow older, the stuff they enjoy goes out of style. Welcome to reality, pal.
You sure, they pretty much did so on purpose with Oblivion...
You can read minds now?
gamer0004
Illuminati

Post by gamer0004 »

As for graphics, a few days ago I realized there is a very powerful incentive for the games industry in general to focus on graphics so much. The reason is simple. Every individual publisher profits from reducing the price of their games after a while or participating in a sale (Steam or otherwise). This is because it allows publishers to discriminate on price: sell early at full price to people who value the game highly, sell later at reduced price to allow people who have less money and/or do not value the game highly enough to pay the full price. This results in increased revenue, and since marginal cost of selling one extra copy is pretty much zero (taking bandwith costs as fixed), publishers maximize their profit by maximizing revenue and thus maximize profit by reducing the price of their games after a while to sell more copies.
This creates a problem for other publishers. Let's say there is a very good game, released two years ago, which is now only €5. Then another very good game is released for €50. Why would anyone buy the new game for 10 times the price of the old game when they both feature good gameplay and the same graphics? Of course, some people probably played the old game already, but with the huge number of games being releaed (and consequently, being on sale) these days most people probably can't even play all the games they buy during sales. This means that, without improvements in graphics, there isn't any reason to buy new games at full price. There are many 'old' games which feature very good gameplay. Competing with those games is incredibly difficult if the differences in price are so high.

The only way to justify buying a game at full price is by making sure they are better than those old games. Improving graphics in particular is a very powerful way of making games 'objectively' better (everything else being equal). People can watch screenshots and trailers and see for themselves that the new game has better graphics than the two-years old game. Innovation in gameplay is, of course, possible as well, but this is more difficult for buyers to observe before buying, and gamers might buy a cheap old game rather than the new one because they think the two games offer basically the same gameplay, even if they don't. Mind you, it's probably difficult to offer better gameplay in general, considering the huge amount of very good old games, but equally good but different gameplay is enough to justify paying more for a new game. Another option is to cater to niches where gamers can play more games (including old ones) than they can buy, so a new game wouldn't have to compete with the old games since the consumers in that niche have already played the ones they like. Last possibility is using improved technology to enhance gameplay. This is probably the optimal result for gamers. This way a game offers improved graphics and improved and different gameplay.

Of these options, the easiest one is improving graphics. It can be marketed most easily (the other option rely on hands on experience and/or positive reviews rather than releasing trailers and advertisements) and can be managed most easily. Improving gameplay is an inherently subjective aspect and relies on all kinds of specific capabilities which need to be matched properly. Good shooter mechanics aren't very useful if the game isn't suited for running and gunning, for instance. For graphics, things are easier. Adding AA or Ambient Occlusion makes the game prettier, regardless of whether VSync or motion blur or depth of field are added. It's also a relatively concrete task: the programmer gets it done or not.* Improving the graphics to persuade gamers to pay the full price for a new game is far easier to market and easier to manage than improvements in gameplay are.

*Things are, of course, more complicated than that. It may be poorly optimized or just look shit. But it's less ambiguous than to "make the fighting feel right".
VectorM
MJ12

Post by VectorM »

Congrats, you've discovered the hot water.