Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Multiskinning characters

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Hi!

I wonder if the HDTP characters support multiskinning, like the regular characters. I would guess on no, since the models are so much more detailed and UV mapping would have to be specific for that model, but just thought I should ask.

Btw, is it possible to retain the pre-set multiskins on a SD-def model that can be HDTP-fied when that HDTP model is turned off? For example in Revision we have some reskinned MJ12 models that looses their skinning no matter how you play around with the HDTP settings for that model.

Edit: To clarify my question.
Last edited by bjorn98009_91 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Re: Multiskinning characters

Post by SlySpy »

I've dabbled in some texturing for hdtp character models recently, so I can say they do have multiskins. As of now, the only one I know the multiskins for is the HDTPGM_Trench:

0: Face
1: Trenchcoat
2: Pants
3: Hands
4: Shoes
5: Frames (for sunglasses)
6: Lenses (same as above)

I haven't seen any difference for multiskin 7, so I can't really say what that's for.

As for retaining multiskins from HDTP characters, I don't think that would be possible, since the textures for them are pretty different from the standard version. For example, the standard models use one multiskin for both the face and the hands, whereas on an hdtp model, the face and hands are separate multiskins.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Does the multiskinning work though? Do the textures show up in the right place, aligned and stuff?

Question remains, can HDTP code be modified to not set the default SD-textures on the model when HDTP for that model is not enabled, but instead use the multiskins supplied on the pawn itself?
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

Yes, multiskinning works from my experience, which is why I know each multiskin. I've tested it myself and have a HDTPGM_Trench model with custom textures on it.

As for the second question, I don't believe it'll work, being that HDTP and standard models both have different placement of multiskins. If the standard model retained the same skins, it wouldn't look the same. You might see JC's hd coat texture where his legs are supposed to be for example, because of the way multiskinning works.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I'm not talking about applying HD skins on a SD model. I'm talking about applying custom SD skins on the vanilla SD models. Right now HDTP overwrites any custom multiskins set on any of the vanilla models that HDTP replaces. If you have a reskinned MJ12 trooper he won't show up with those skins, but instead he shows up with the default MJ12 skins. This is a bit annoying.
SlySpy
UNATCO

Post by SlySpy »

Ah, I understand what you mean now. I'm not used to using custom textures in the campaign, but I'll see if I can test a few things out.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well..how are you reskinning the mj12 troops in the first place?
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Just realized that it's a standard MJ12 troop with its multiskins set in the editor. Would it work if I created a subclass of MJ12 troop and applied the multiskins in the defaultproperties?

Edit: Yeah it would. I think there was an issue before with some swimming animation not working correctly with a subclassed pawn, but can't seem to be able to reproduce that problem. Thanks for all the help.