Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Scourge
Mole Person

Re: GMDX: Gameplay Mod. Final Version Released (HDTP Compati

Post by Scourge »

Well, for instance - I could be walking around UNATCO or a crowded area like Wan Chai with a crate of TNT. If you draw any sort of weapon around civs, they run. The same rules should apply to TNT as they do to weapons, and all rules applied more broadly. If it's inappropriate for you to have a weapon or TNT out, have NPCs immediately run to a safe distance and/or ready to fire on throw or first shot.

Assorted tidbits:
This is a long thread, so forgive me if these have already been addressed:
- I shouldn't be able to do things like hide behind an invincible crate while also killing a security bot with a pistol.
- However, what would be interesting is using invincible crates as a carryable shield.
- There should actually be a bona fide time limit and random weakening/visionblur/slowing effect caused by the kill switch in Hong Kong. (Game should autopause on idle during this time so you don't switch apps, forget, and end up eating shit.)
- Also, I'm wondering if I have any motivation at all to defeat enemies if they aren't in the way of mission objectives. I see how
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Scourge wrote:Well, for instance - I could be walking around UNATCO or a crowded area like Wan Chai with a crate of TNT. If you draw any sort of weapon around civs, they run. The same rules should apply to TNT as they do to weapons,
OK, good suggestion, looking into it.
- I shouldn't be able to do things like hide behind an invincible crate while also killing a security bot with a pistol.
Hmm, what about making them breakable but have very high HP? Am trying to think of the possible consequences of this change.
- However, what would be interesting is using invincible crates as a carryable shield.
In combination with Improved Microfibral muscle this would be OP, besides, we can just assume the NPCs shoot your feet or hands.
- There should actually be a bona fide time limit and random weakening/visionblur/slowing effect caused by the kill switch in Hong Kong.
I agree, but we may have to ignore this. It is quite a few hours of play from 04_NYC to 08_HongKong TongBase.
Also according to in-game dialogue augs are shut down in addition to the killswitch being activated, and playing that time without augs would suck also.

So Gameplay wins once again :)

I can only consider a small penalty, such as Max bio energy capacity -50%, but that may be annoying and not worth it. Or another, such as all augs -1 upgrade level, or two are randomized to disable permanently until you reach Tong, but again, annoying.

The best change here would be HUD glitches like in Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but meh. Lots to do as is and I don't want people thinking the mod is broken or something :p.
If someone codes up an occasional HUD flickering effect I'd probably be happy to take it, however. As long as it makes sense and looks good.
- Also, I'm wondering if I have any motivation at all to defeat enemies if they aren't in the way of mission objectives. I see how
Same as vanilla, you don't have to defeat them at all, but they make proper exploration/scavenging a pain, and also with their improved AI they give you extra incentive by gunning you down repeatedly (if you suck at sneaking/combat).
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Stay tuned, new trailer coming soon.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

I've only just got to Hong Kong; why does the DTS have laser sight...?

EDIT: Also, why is their a Triad bouncer in the doorway behind the Lucky Money bar to get down to Max Chen?

I think he appeared after I selected the 'Maggie Chow sent me' Option when I asked Issac where I could find Max Chen.
It just means I've got to kill him/KO him to get past him which could cause issues.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein wrote:I've only just got to Hong Kong; why does the DTS have laser sight...?
My one controversial design decision...read it's description.
I wanted to nerf it (damage was 100! untrained, now is 25 untrained) so combat strength and low-tech skill actually have a purpose, but it still needed to have a sense of "the ultimate sword", so it has a little modification. I still question the decision myself but it does improve the gameplay. Perhaps a mutator to restore it to vanilla though with 50 damage would be ideal.
EDIT: Also, why is their a Triad bouncer in the doorway behind the Lucky Money bar to get down to Max Chen?

I think he appeared after I selected the 'Maggie Chow sent me' Option when I asked Issac where I could find Max Chen.
It just means I've got to kill him/KO him to get past him which could cause issues.
Nope, don't have to kill or KO him. Figure it out :smile:
nah there is nothing to figure out, he just goes on patrol every 30 or so seconds in the back area, but you have to not let him see you sneaking in.

I purposely made it a pain to get into the back of the club. with two simple changes: That bouncer there, and if you smash the mirrors on the ground floor the Triads get pissed.
It is a triad-run club after all, you shouldn't be able to just stroll in, smashing stuff up. Now it actually feels like you are infiltrating a triad-run club and they take no shit. Perhaps faster cycle of the bouncer's patrol would be better though.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

That would explain why he didn't move for ages! (Well, 30 seconds must have felt like a long time anyway. I'm impatient. ;)
That would also explain why he appeared out of nowhere. :lol:

My argument is, if he has asked to speak to Max Chen directly, why shouldn't JC be allowed to pass?
By all means, keep the guard there (maybe make it so you can actually walk past him cloaked or something for example) but if Issac (the bartender) has said you can pass by saying the Maggie Chow sent you, don't make the bouncer turn hostile.

Or a flag that sets whether JC has gathered the sword as evidence against Maggie etc.

The ideal situation would be to have JC speak to a triad member to convince them to let him speak to Max after he has gathered the sword but obviously that would be quite difficult.

Also, fuck Throwing Knives are one hit wonders in the hands of the Luminous Path.
As a side note, I've just united the Triads but the Luminous Path in the Canal Road tunnel after the fight are still hostile towards me. I had to kill them (took me about 5 gives because they one hit kill me.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

nerdenstein wrote:That would explain why he didn't move for ages! (Well, 30 seconds must have felt like a long time anyway. I'm impatient. ;)
That would also explain why he appeared out of nowhere. :lol:

My argument is, if he has asked to speak to Max Chen directly, why shouldn't JC be allowed to pass?
By all means, keep the guard there (maybe make it so you can actually walk past him cloaked or something for example) but if Issac (the bartender) has said you can pass by saying the Maggie Chow sent you, don't make the bouncer turn hostile.

Or a flag that sets whether JC has gathered the sword as evidence against Maggie etc.

The ideal situation would be to have JC speak to a triad member to convince them to let him speak to Max after he has gathered the sword but obviously that would be quite difficult.
Design flaw on my part. I'll fix it.
Also, fuck Throwing Knives are one hit wonders in the hands of the Luminous Path.
Yeah, may tone down the damage a touch, though ballistic protection helps. Also don't worry about the pickup T knife icon bug (if you noticed it) as that is now fixed.
As a side note, I've just united the Triads but the Luminous Path in the Canal Road tunnel after the fight are still hostile towards me. I had to kill them (took me about 5 gives because they one hit kill me.
You could speed enhance/cloak/ballistic protection past, or enter versalife via the main entrance rather than the maintenence pipe. But yes, another thing to fix, each lum path actor here should be made neutral.

I assume you have found no other issues up 'till Hong Kong? Please report anything out of the ordinary you find so it can be fixed before next release :)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

We are on the last stretch, but still it is taking time. Since we have been way off target with the release date I have decided to upload this little teaser of just the latest weapon modifications:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og-zPsQb ... e=youtu.be
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

A detailed look at the majority of weapon enhancements in GMDX: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrAB-6v ... e=youtu.be

I will be rolling out a succession of videos in the coming days leading up to v5's release, videos highlighting the majority of enhancements for each aspect of the mod.

To come:

AI
Level Design
Skills
Augmentations
Miscellaneous
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Next up, AI enhancements:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgygSS6v_q4

Criticism is welcome, if any.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Level Design:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EekRNrP ... e=youtu.be

I didn't use that blurry image for the torch by the way. I used a virtual tour video. "Images" takes up less space on the screen.

I really didn't show enough about the level design. I guess It's cause I'm getting burnt out recording, editing etc all this footage, and didn't want to reveal too much and as a result revealed too little. Oh well. here is some other stuff:

-texture alignments.
-balancing of paths in some instances.
-the odd few new custom objects.
-More enemy-placed proximity mines (thereby giving more weight to demolition skill).
-lighting improvements
-More obstacles in general: Cameras, turrets, lasers, tougher to navigate water (thereby giving more weight to swimming skill etc) and so on.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Re: GMDX: Gameplay Mod. (HDTP Compatible)

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Re-balanced skill system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p8z4axsrIQ

A look at the changes made to achieve a balanced skill system where every investment is a worthwhile one.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Kentie is working on an updated version of his replacement .exe that makes it easier to pick between mods and should allow users to easily switch between .int files as well.
Currently testing it and it's a nice improvement.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Good to know. By the way I got rid of that bouncer in the Lucky Money. I liked his presence for the gameplay aspect but it conflicted with what the barman says so had to go, cheers for pointing that out for me.