Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Salk
UNATCO

Re: GMDX v5 Release

Post by Salk »

Cybernetic Pig,

first of all, thanks for your answers.

I know it's not my feedback you are looking for. I feel also that you are way overestimating the amount of players still interested in "investing time" (it's an awful expression but at the rate modern games are released these days, players make choices) in an older game like Deus Ex might be relatively small. Hence the relateively few downloads.

I commend you for your effort and I must say I remember the AI being subpar in several occasions when I did play many years ago.

At purely theoretical gameplay standpoint (I believe you are join usss! at the strangebedfellow's website so we have been discussing gameplay there too) I have a half provocative question: you change/evolve (?) so much Deus Ex's core play mechanic with GMDX that perhaps some of the original game's identity might be considered lost? If so much tweaking is done to make it better, how great could the original game have been in your own opinion?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Salk wrote: I feel also that you are way overestimating the amount of players still interested in "investing time" (it's an awful expression but at the rate modern games are released these days, players make choices) in an older game like Deus Ex might be relatively small. Hence the relateively few downloads.
HDTP release 1 moddb mirror: 41,589 downloads
New Vision final release mirror: 94,126 downloads (release date nov 2012)

People still love Deus Ex.

I'm not even expecting even 1/4 of those numbers because GMDX increases the difficulty of Deus Ex (many changes of which were entirely necessary, such as more believable AI and a balanced skill system, plus easy mode still exists anyway), making it more in-line with other Immersive Sims such as System Shock (Also produced by Spector), and Arx fatalis.
But here is why I am getting upset, GMDX has had ~120 downloads since the most complete and latest release, and 1,300 in total. Most downloads being when the mod was in early phases of development, when the mod didn't do too much and lacked optimal polish.
Few downloads, and no feedback here, it's birthplace.
I commend you for your effort and I must say I remember the AI being subpar in several occasions when I did play many years ago.
Invest your time and complete DX, it's worth it. I know you will like it because you like System Shock (don't tell me you haven't completed those games either?).
so much Deus Ex's core play mechanic with GMDX that perhaps some of the original game's identity might be considered lost?
The idea is to expand upon and refine the design whilst maintaining it's identity and artistic integrity.
I believe I succeeded in this, and others too:

"Overall GMDX is an excellent mod that adds quite a few new features, but nothing that detracts from the core DX experience. I highly recommend it."
I believe you are join usss! at the strangebedfellow's website
Yes, that is I.
If so much tweaking is done to make it better, how great could the original game have been in your own opinion?
Game design, in the foreseeable future, as far as I can see, can always be improved no matter the game, as far as I am concerned. Nearly every game ever released has had obvious flaws. Even once you clean up the flaws, there is always room for improvement. Of course, some aspects of design are subjective. Others, no, objective.

Is there a limit where one should stop expanding and refining, especially for a simple game like Tetris for example? No. There can always be more; more stages, more game modes, multiplayer network battles, and all can be done wihile maintaining that core Tetris experience many love, or there can even be a classic retro mode for those are adamant it is perfect as it is.
It's a shame Ion Storm didn't continue to expand and refine upon DX themselves, imagine how amazing DX would now, be 14 years on, but businesses do not work like that. Fortunately us modders are not restricted by such things, but we are restricted in many other ways (no budget, no wages, digital team work, work environment etc).
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

I think you should continue making GMDX, don't give up on it until you feel you are done. :) It's always painful seeing mods die before they are done. I do believe that modding for DX is coming to an end, Revision is like the last big thing to come to DX. :/
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

Hi Bjorn. Thanks, but I can't do it alone and without support...plus real life is taking it's toll.
I will not give up though, like I said I see so much potential. Imagine this, you walk into Brooklyn Bridge station Rook's territory, the AI are not all standing there in their universal stances, one guy is smoking a cigarette in a laid back slump, another arguing with his gal, some have different models, all have more individuality to them. This can be done, and is one excellent thing done by modern games mind you, and it would further what DX is, the immersive sim is, further the original Deus Ex team's vision. But this is purely simulation design related, there is much more gameplay stuff that can be done too.

Edit: That said, GMDX does already attempt to add more individuality to pawns what with varied death SFX, new reactions and such.

I should note for those that don't know that this hypothetical scenario at the station is something that cannot be done without a huge team of skilled slaves all following my orders (within reason) without pay. Which is ridiculous for obvious reasons, but with greater community support more can be done. We can have an animator offer to do one specific sequence, and so on, opportunities will arise that will bring it one step closer each time.

Btw expect a review from yours truly when Revision is released ;)
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Yes, I will try it the moment Revision is done. :)
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:Yes, I will try it the moment Revision is done. :)
No, I meant I will write a review on Revision when it is released and I have played it in it's entirety, but sure, I expect a written one in return now too :D
You probably got confused by the phrase "yours truly", which is understandable.

What the market demands is better graphics, more cinematics, optimal accessibility and Goat Simulator.
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

No, I understand the expression. Just misread your post. :P

Hmm, Goat simulator for DX? That would be a thing, someone should be able to model a goat mesh and give it animations. I'll import it as a playable character and the screen to third person mode. That would be epic :P
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

bjorn98009_91 wrote:That would be epic :P
It would be baaaaaad.

As bad as that pun was.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drewie
Mole Person

Post by Drewie »

I watched all the videos and I'm still quite impressed. I already have it downloaded but... I have a question. :P Is GDMX compatible with Revision? And if yes, what is compatible?

Trust me, GDMX seems like a really awesome mod which one way or another, I'm definitely going to install. But it's difficult to play with the vanilla maps when there is Revision. :?
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No, not compatible, but GMDX changes all the maps also (primarily gameplay-oriented, but a bit of visuals too).
Drewie
Mole Person

Post by Drewie »

Cybernetic pig wrote:No, not compatible, but GMDX changes all the maps also (primarily gameplay-oriented, but a bit of visuals too).
Well, I tried GDMX with Revision (Beta 1) and... it worked! [I extracted the system files into Revision/System and unfortunately, since I wanted to try out GDMX alongside Revision, I let GDMX maps untouched. :( ]. I love it's features but there are certain things that I unfortunately, do not like.

(1) Why does the dragon tooth sword have a laser? I mean, it's a sword... I also don't like it's long-range. Wish that the sword would return to normal EXCEPT it's decreased power.

(2) I tried the hardcore difficulty and it definitely changed my Deus Ex experience to the better! It actually provides a challenge and that what Deus Ex needs in the long run. However, since saving is disabled and "checkpoints" are enabled, does GDMX need the map files for the "checkpoints" to happen? [Since I'm using Revision's map files]

(3) How about (for other difficulties) disabling menu-saving and only letting the player quick-save?

(4) Why doesn't the thermoptic camo (when worn) show the same visual effect of the cloack aug when active?

Forgive my lack-of-knowing-how-to-explain. #-o but I'm defiently going to write a detailed-review later on!
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

No, please do not write a review. You are not playing GMDX, you are playing GMMM (Give Me a Mess of a Mod).
You are likely to experience crashing, there will be many inconsistencies in design, there will be much GMDX content missing.
They are not compatible, this is specifically stated in the readme.

Sword. The reasoning for it is in the readme. It's not a sword in a traditional sense anyway, and a laser increases it's practicality and is very fun, so I don't see it as an issue. However, it is a common complaint so it may have to be made a toggle-able option.
The only problem I have with it is it's not mentioned in the story, though it is in the inventory description.
"(2) I tried the hardcore difficulty and it definitely changed my Deus Ex experience to the better! It actually provides a challenge and that what Deus Ex needs in the long run. However, since saving is disabled and "checkpoints" are enabled, does GDMX need the map files for the "checkpoints" to happen? [Since I'm using Revision's map files]"
Yes you need the maps.
(3) How about (for other difficulties) disabling menu-saving and only letting the player quick-save?
That would be very problematic and serve no positive purpose.
4) Why doesn't the thermoptic camo (when worn) show the same visual effect of the cloack aug when active?
We just haven't got around to coding it yet. We saw it as low priority because of how rare therm. camos are. It is on the list, however.
Last edited by Cybernetic pig on Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

I remade the augmentations video to be more marketable. watch-able, "lite" for those that have not seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR8tEeQ0Txo
Cybernetic pig
Illuminati

Post by Cybernetic pig »

All I want to know is if I succeeded in improving Deus Ex like I think I have, based off of the majorities opinion. So far so good, most people seem to agree, but the mod has been out for three weeks now and there isn't enough data to come to a conclusion.
Gameplay is important, it's what makes games unique. I wish most PC gamers wouldn't consider gameplay mods low priority but it is the reality if you poke around in the numerous modding communities out there.
Drewie
Mole Person

Post by Drewie »

Cybernetic pig wrote:No, please do not write a review. You are not playing GMDX, you are playing GMMM (Give Me a Mess of a Mod).
You are likely to experience crashing, there will be many inconsistencies in design, there will be much GMDX content missing.
They are not compatible, this is specifically stated in the readme.
I fully understand. Maybe once I finish Revision and (after a while) I feel the urge to play DX again, I will play it 100% GDMX style. 8) Although I never experienced crashing (yet) or anything like that.
Cybernetic pig wrote:However, it is a common complaint so it may have to be made a toggle-able option.
Yes, please do! The sword was just perfect as it was (except it's given power... but then again it is a nano sword. It should be able to kill someone easily :p) So maybe make the sword's features optional to the player?

Your mod is very close to being perfect (I mean, I enjoyed it when I haven't even experienced half of what the mod has to offer) and I wish you keep modifying it even more. Like Bjorn said, don't stop until you feel it is ready! =D>