I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Michael_TSM
NSF

Post by Michael_TSM »

I have a feeling that Maggie Chow was a B-grade actor not exactly a Chinese version of Cate Blanchett.

However I agree that while I think the hair style Alex has given her is to be applauded, I think it would perhaps best be suited to one of the night club patrons or someone in the market...or even at the Paris night club.

Considering Maggie Chow's apartment (full of Chinese antiques) and her obsession with power (hence her alliance with MJ12) I could see her as seeing herself as someone powerful but in the line of something ancient...

Page who comes from the west (probably Catholic considering his fascination with Thomas Aquinas) sees himself as a new king...even as god himself.
So what would Maggie see herself?
Perhaps as a new Chinese empress...

So from that line of thinking I think it would be appropriate to look at some Chinese royal hair styles. So something powerful...but old.
ZeroPresence
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by ZeroPresence »

Jonas wrote:Now THAT is constructive criticism :shock:
ha... :roll:
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

Michael_TSM wrote:I have a feeling that Maggie Chow was a B-grade actor not exactly a Chinese version of Cate Blanchett.

However I agree that while I think the hair style Alex has given her is to be applauded, I think it would perhaps best be suited to one of the night club patrons or someone in the market...or even at the Paris night club.

Considering Maggie Chow's apartment (full of Chinese antiques) and her obsession with power (hence her alliance with MJ12) I could see her as seeing herself as someone powerful but in the line of something ancient...

Page who comes from the west (probably Catholic considering his fascination with Thomas Aquinas) sees himself as a new king...even as god himself.
So what would Maggie see herself?
Perhaps as a new Chinese empress...

So from that line of thinking I think it would be appropriate to look at some Chinese royal hair styles. So something powerful...but old.
If she had a scene like Page has in the end of the game, I'd be all over that, but she tends to be dead or unconscious on a Versalife catwalk before she's had the chance to triumphantly doll herself up for armageddon, so poking around Chinese imperial history might prove a touch fruitless -- those ladies had some mad headgear, but much too ceremonial for walkin' around ("Teehee, she's got a little Eiffel Tower on her head!").

I was toying with suggesting ox-horns earlier, a perfect bit of stereotypical-but-genuine old-school Chinese styling, but the thing is, I don't think anyone wants the modeler/s (is it just Alex these days?) to mess with the silhouettes too much -- while the palette of meshes in DX was extremely limited, the team did fairly well texture-wise, leaving us with a good idea of how each character styled themselves (or at least, as good an idea as one could get at that resolution). It's a theory as old as... clothes... that the silhouette of a person/character is one of the key ways to recognise them, and that holds true even if that initial variety of silhouettes was extremely small; you can keep Alex Jacobson just the same but give him a Flock of Seagulls cut, aaaand it won't be Alex...

....all that, and Chun Li got the ox-horns first, so whatcha gonna do.
Last edited by James T on Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I know nothing about female hair styles. Bear with me. The original looks like a very short haircut, straight (wavy would be hard to create in DX), with the weight above the ear line...yeah, I don't really know. All of the female DX characters have the same haircut anyway. A wacky haircut wouldn't be too bad, to differentiate characters better. It's really hard to find comprehensive photo sets of female haircuts online. So much easier for men. Pick your favourite-
http://www.hair-styles.org/very-short-h ... re-007.JPG http://www.123-hairstyles-ideas.com/ima ... les071.jpg
http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/wgal ... ery542.jpg
http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/gall ... D2_073.JPG
http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/gall ... D2_114.JPG
http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/wgallery/tcw032.jpg
http://hairstyles.hairboutique.com/wgal ... ry3008.jpg

Also, I didn't realize, from the wiki "Lin-May Chen is supposedly the illegitimate daughter of Maggie Chow and Max Chen (presumably born before the events in the original Deus Ex)"-
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:All of the female DX characters have the same haircut anyway.
Wrong again! There are at least three different female haircuts in Deus Ex: Loose, tied in a bun, or ponytail.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

Clandestine
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

justanotherfan wrote:Also, I didn't realize, from the wiki "Lin-May Chen is supposedly the illegitimate daughter of Maggie Chow and Max Chen (presumably born before the events in the original Deus Ex)"-
Tell her the truth about the WTO in Trier and she says it.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Jonas wrote:Wrong again!
Yeah, I get more attention and replies when I say something wrong.

Anyway, point was they have very low-detail hair, just a part of the semi-octagonally-shaped head shown in the first post. I guess it was a limitation of the Tribes engine DX is based on, Joenas. ;-)

The new Anna's hair is relatively creative. Difficult to make the main characters weird though since we have ideas of what they look like. I guess the minor characters can be done more creatively, but the art in these main character recreations seems to be about recreating what we all imagined we saw.

Realistic-ish hair in DX seems to be nearly impossible. What about UT2004?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

justanotherfan wrote:just a part of the semi-octagonally-shaped head shown in the first post
Yeah, you know, except when they have buns or ponytails.
I guess it was a limitation of the Tribes engine DX is based on, Joenas.
Why you little...!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

*will be calling you Joenas from now on*
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I will strangle you to death with my mouse cord.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

Hey, lucky I edited my post to change it from "joenis". We've gotta get you a wireless mouse, the carnage must end.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

So would that be Joenas Waver?
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Holy cow Alex your alive?

I though you quite because we were all such jerks to you?

It's kinda cool to see that a new model comes out when you lest expect it. Nothing wrong that I can see... Keep in mind that we see Maggy chow all of one to maybe three times so she's not that huge of a concern.
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Dead-eye wrote:Holy cow Alex your alive?

I though you quite because we were all such jerks to you?
Yep. there are rumors that i do exist, autonomous from this community.

I'm helping metche out, i dont think i'm much a fan of these forums or the atmosphere of the community in general, but I like what metche is trying to do, and for that reason im chipping in. Also, im making up a CV and showreel right now, and the more stuff i have done to put on it, the better.
Dead-eye wrote:
Keep in mind that we see Maggy chow all of one to maybe three times so she's not that huge of a concern.

Yes, you're right. I guess i'll just put little to no effort into it in that case. Best idea, clearly.