Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Maggie Chow ...W.I.P

Post by _Alex_ »

Well guys, the original isn't much to work with....

She looks like a weird....uber tanned ... chubby cheeked...man. And i dont know what is up with her hair. It looks alot like IS just tweaked the standard female model abit...they didn't take the time to make her look at all asian, or for that matter, female.

It is with this in mind, that i've tried to re-design maggie's face and hairstyle. Certainly this is a difficult process, and it'll open me up to flak from a variety of sectors (the dpt. of asian facial fidelity, the dpt. of female feature fidelity, and let's not forget the dpt. of digital hair stylists)

That having been said, i am open to suggestions.

DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

She looks like she's smiling a bit too much..or has her lips a bit pursed. In the original she looks far more stern than I think she does in your version, but she does look more asian at least.
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

DaveW wrote:She looks like she's smiling a bit too much..or has her lips a bit pursed. In the original she looks far more stern than I think she does in your version, but she does look more asian at least.
I was going for self-satisfied. In my experience, villains with something to hide usually have a heavy cloud of smug floating over their heads. :lol:
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

_Alex_ wrote:I was going for self-satisfied.
\:D/
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

DaveW wrote:
I think it's safe to say you overuse that smiley.
Wokky
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Wokky »

Personally, my first thought when I saw the image was that the facial structure doesn't look right at all. Perhaps you've over-compensated in attempting to make her face look less chubby, but to my eye at the moment it looks very un-natural.
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Wokky wrote:Personally, my first thought when I saw the image was that the facial structure doesn't look right at all. Perhaps you've over-compensated in attempting to make her face look less chubby, but to my eye at the moment it looks very un-natural.
any thoughts on what's wrong with it? dimensions wise? Just saying "not right" doesnt help, mate
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

_Alex_ wrote:
DaveW wrote:
I think it's safe to say you overuse that smiley.
\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/\:D/
AgentSmithereens
Silhouette

Post by AgentSmithereens »

Her face is nice, though it looks like she's being given an electric shock, with her hair sticking up.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I like her general facial structure, I really like how you did her eyes, but I agree with previous comments about her lips looking a bit too pursed. I'm not really sure what you were going for with her hair...? It does look unique, I guess, but IMO it looks too much like she has combs sticking out of her head. It's very exaggerated.

Lastly, I like the shape of her eyebrows, but consider making them darker and a bit thinner :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

Jonas wrote:I like her general facial structure, I really like how you did her eyes, but I agree with previous comments about her lips looking a bit too pursed. I'm not really sure what you were going for with her hair...? It does look unique, I guess, but IMO it looks too much like she has combs sticking out of her head. It's very exaggerated.

Lastly, I like the shape of her eyebrows, but consider making them darker and a bit thinner :)
Thinner AND darker?

I'll make her abit fatter *and* thinner while im at it :)

PS.

For the hair, im going with a sort of 80s glam rock thing. You'll see when its done lol....its thin and abit shit looking at the moment, but im building it up.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Well, facially she looks kinda pinched, like a grey: tiny chin, huge eyes and forehead. Might just be the camera angle, of course.

Regardless, I'm thinking she looks TOO chinese: she's supposed to be a famous filmstar turned evil MJ12 crony (right?), and (regardless as to what this says about our planet) the majority of globally successful foreign filmstars basically look like "slightly foreign versions of white people".

Sad, but there you go*. That's certainly how I think of maggie chow anyway (but hey: maybe I'm a closet racist or something).

Also, it's a bit odd to criticise the model as being a poor tweak of the 'standard female' model when there IS no standard female model. SuitSkirt is used for quite a few other characters, too (even WIBs!), so making the actual model 'asian' would bugger up everything else (much like making GM_Trench look black for the black JC would bugger up all the other uses of GM_trench).

*Did you know bruce lee was turned down for the starring role in Kung Fu because he looked TOO chinese? Yes. They gave it to Carradine, ffs!
_Alex_
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by _Alex_ »

I dont think an asian filmstar having asian features suddenly drops them out of the running. In fact i think that's alot of shit.
DDL wrote:Also, it's a bit odd to criticise the model as being a poor tweak of the 'standard female' model when there IS no standard female model. SuitSkirt is used for quite a few other characters, too (even WIBs!), so making the actual model 'asian' would bugger up everything else (much like making GM_Trench look black for the black JC would bugger up all the other uses of GM_trench).
Yes, All the characters are largely skin-tweaks of the same model. So you're basically agreeing with me....

Ahem. Here's some other shots. I'm fleshing out the hair, and i made some adjustments to her mouth and cheeks

Image[/img]
Last edited by _Alex_ on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

_Alex_ wrote:Thinner AND darker?

I'll make her abit fatter *and* thinner while im at it :)
Since when is dark antonymous to thin? Her current eyebrows look medium-brown and slightly fluffy, my suggestion is that you make them look thinner (ie. make them look like they are made up of fewer hairs) but darken their colour.

Looking forward to see how the hair will turn out :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

So when you say
It looks alot like IS just tweaked the standard female model abit
you actually mean "it looks like IS just used the same skin-tweak trick they used for ALMOST EVERY OTHER CHARACTER IN THE ENTIRE GAME"?

Well that somehow doesn't surprise me....so why should it come as a surprise to you? Confused.

Anyway, as far as filmstars and their tendencies towards generic "white person"-ness, I'm prepared to hope you're right on that one, but I suspect you're not. The story about Lee is true, sadly, and we haven't come much further since then.

Maybe Jonas might know? He does film stuffs, after all. :D

(also, belated happy birthday, Mr. Waever)