Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Jonas wrote:
Akerfeldt wrote:For now the DXR characters will use the same animations as the HDTP characters.
Uh I was under the impression that the HDTP character have no animations
They do now 8)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

OMG PLEASE JUST ANSWER MY QUESTION:

Will the HDTP models use the old DX animations OR WHAT!? ](*,)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Fucking YES.

"Technically" no, since all DX animations cannot be exported as anything other than a series of meshes. So no skeletal animation files or anything.

However, a skeletal animation (or possibly several) for HDTP models has been recreated, based on the original DX animations. Thus they're EFFECTIVELY using the old animations, and while it may be possible to tweak them slightly, we will still have the exact same group of animations as DX has (runshoot, runshoot2H, etc etc).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

ok I'm sorry to hear that. The DX animations are terrible.

Thanks for your reply :)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

Iconic, jonas: the DX animations are iconic.

One-handed crouch-shooting of machineguns will be SO hot in 2052.

Out of curiosity, why not post what you'd change? It's always possible that the changes are slight enough to be implemented. Possibly maybe. It all ends up as individual meshes ANYWAY, after all.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

To be honest i've been aware of this fact but you know what? People want new models and textures - I don't think it really matters if they still utilise the old animation set.

I have said tho' I shall review the situation when we get to play test the characters and weapons in game.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

metche_steele wrote:People want new models and textures - I don't think it really matters if they still utilise the old animation set.
Hah. Right.

DDL: It's hard for me to find an animation in Deus Ex that I completely like. I think the gestures during conversations are alright, everything else is crap. The death animations manage to stand out as particularly über-terrible and cartoonish, just look at how stiffly a character dies when he falls backwards. All the animations just look a bit stiff and unnatural - cartoonish. If they were to be reworked, you could make it all a bit more "military", but even just making them look more organic would be a great improvement.

Of course I imagine the actual number of animations that the code restricts us to would put a dampener on any such improvements. And clearly we can't mocap anything, but I still think it should be possible to hand-animate something better - more natural.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Ok you have a point with the death animations ...

I haven't played Deus Ex in a very long time as my PC is very very borked.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Of course it's a matter of priorities and resources. Animation takes time, especially on that scale, and everybody would clearly prefer to see HDTP models with old animations in-game than old models with old animations.

Just keep it in mind ;)
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

True. Actually, thinking about it it wouldn't be too hard to add in things like DeathLeft and DeathRight, or to use multiple Deathfront/DeathBack anims randomly chosen (or non-randomly chosen based on where the fatal injury occurred).

It's just..making the anims that takes time. And applying them, obviously (even with Akerfeldt's magic app).

And, to be perfectly honest (this may sound odd) having just two death anims is slightly less immersion-breaking than having say, 10: the more anims you have, the more you make incidences of identical anims "jarringly obvious", and the more you start to highlight that you're really wanting to use a ragdoll system but you so totally aren't: a whole group of identically posed corpses is less jarring than a whole group where there might be a ton of different poses but yet you still DO see identical poses. Does that make sense?
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

A lot of people will be playing DXR anyway, and that won't even use death animations.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Good point about the number of death animations, John. But it'd still be quite possible to make BETTER death animations.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
galmud
Mole Person

Post by galmud »

DX less than splendid animations never really bothered me that much. Too immersed in the game I guess . Same thing with voice-acting which is really terrible for some characters
fox
X-51

Post by fox »

galmud wrote: Same thing with voice-acting which is really terrible for some characters

... and stellar for some others. Jay Anthony Frankes's voice was just perfect for JC.

The animations were appropriate but quite clumsy by today's standards of course.
Last edited by fox on Tue May 20, 2008 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

A bomb!