Lend me your cycles

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Schlumpf
Thug

Post by Schlumpf »

I know its a stupid questiion, but maybe someone have an answer. When i run this programm under my linux-ps3, use it all the cores ?(wiki tells is much faster than normal pc cores)

Or its better when i just let it work over my desk pc?

(My PS3 is not at home in the moment, so i ask)

thx schlumpf
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Schlumpf wrote:Or its better when i just let it work over my desk pc?
PC would be better, since the program is not is not multi-threaded.
Placebo wrote:I geting "recv timeout".

Why? Do you have to be online, executing the program for the client to connect?
Yes. I'm not at home right now so something might be wrong with the server that I don't about yet.
Nameless Voice wrote:Is this actually doing anything useful yet, or is it still just a test?

I had it running for a while, seemed to work fine (albeit very slowly).
The frame number went back down to zero after a while?
Testing and doing useful things at the same time hopefully. I will know for sure tonight when I can look at the result. The frame number going back to zero is suspicious although not totally impossible.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

Okay, wait, "back to zero" was probably the wrong thing to say. I meant that it went back down to a much lower number; it wasn't zero.

When I first ran it, it was frame 215 or so, then later it was much lower.
When I started it again more recently, it was at frame 55; it's at frame 145 now. It seemed to jump from 55 to 130 then to 134 then to 136 then to 145. Not quite sure what that means.
MamiyaOtaru
Mole Person

Post by MamiyaOtaru »

I've got the Linux version churning away here. Are all of us working on animations for one particular model ATM, or are there several queued up?

EDIT: Queue empty! Whoohoo?
Last edited by MamiyaOtaru on Sat May 10, 2008 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

"queue empty"

Can it be true? Have we beaten the system!?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Wow! So it appears. I had it running on both my laptop and my desktop :P
eternalightwithin
NSF

niiiice

Post by eternalightwithin »

I tested this out on windows XP SP3
Went from frame 1 to frame 355?? somthing around there.
Some "joints" took 0 seconds to complete.
after it got to frame 355-ish it said que empty twice and then sat there.
Took about 3 hours on my 2GHz athlon.

Tell me when and I have 3 computers here to dedicate to the cause.

Just don't tell my mother-in-law. ;)
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

Woohoo! It worked. I think we have a winner here folks. I'll keep an eye out for ways to improve the client, but for now we have a totally useable system.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Great so when do we use it? Is there a way to tell when the server is up? I got a render farm set up in my house, that I am trying to grow bigger then what I have right now. (One PC) But it's on all the time when I do projects like this.

Just need to find some time to go to the junk yard with my friend who knows how to get the free PCs people through away there. Although with the price of gas it might be cheaper to by PCs off new egg then go and get them free from the junk yard. :?
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

LOL, I just started looking around at what was the cheepist PC that will actually turn on.

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId ... BMNVC18-1B

Funny it really is creeper then gas. The things a piece of crap only suitable for the days of windows 98. But in a render farm or linix cluster for 1,120.00 sounds kinda fun... if I had the space and the money... and the time... and a lot of other things... but funny non the less.
Hashi
Silhouette

Post by Hashi »

I got "connect failed C" when I opened it
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Can you give us an update Akerfeldt? I'd love to know the status of this tool now - would you like a news post or is this not needed now?
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

This weekend's test was a success. I've taken down the server since there's no more models to solve at the moment. I'm now rigging the weapons for the animations we need there. After that I'm gonna rig up GFM_Trench(I think that's the one) for Anna/Maggie/Nicolette. Once I have those ready to go I'll put the server back up and we can compute the whole lot in one batch sometime next week or this week. And that should be all the animations we need unless I'm forgetting something. So perhaps at that time we could use a news post to get the word out but I think we have plenty of comp power just on this forum judging from this weekend. As far as the client and server programs themselves, I think they are rock solid, more or less, so the versions that are on my geocities site are pretty much final.

I'd also like to rig up the rest of the player models and the robots later on if that's cool, since in UT2004 if I have skeletons for those models I can blow limbs/robot parts off and ragdolize the models etc. :)

Hashi: The server is down for the next week or so. So you don't need to run the client. I appreciate your enthusiasm though ;)
eternalightwithin
NSF

Post by eternalightwithin »

Akerfeldt wrote:I appreciate your enthusiasm though ;)
Yes YES! I say put every freakin' model you have and we have us a lil' contest. :lol:

It's like Folding@home but for games.... GAMES =D> \:D/

and... it's for DeusEx. <3 :mrgreen:
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Excellent news Akerfeldt! Great work :D

Please give me prior warning about when you want the next batch doing and I will put up a nice news post for you :)