Lend me your cycles

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
James T
UNATCO

Post by James T »

Hey, 'a bomb' is funny 'cos of the animation...
DaveW wrote:A lot of people will be playing DXR anyway, and that won't even use death animations.
...Won't it?

Oh, is that a ragdoll thing?
"If all Americans want is security, they can go to prison." -- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

galmud wrote:DX less than splendid animations never really bothered me that much. Too immersed in the game I guess . Same thing with voice-acting which is really terrible for some characters
Agreed, but then I don't have a problem with the character models or textures, either. I'm one of those apparently rare souls immune to being turned off by old graphics. ;)

Not to say I won't use HDTP or New Vision, especially NV- Despite being immune to being turned off by old graphics, I do quite like high-def textures in newer games.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

I quite like high-def textures in older games. ;)
Uriel
Mole Person

Post by Uriel »

I thought the distributed animation project was finished? Just downloaded the client, keen to help, while catching up on months of not lurking. To my surprise (after reading more) my client is doing stuff. Is it new models or something?

If so, I feel a bit like a last minute soccer substitute scoring a tap-in with my first touch (having had no earlier input) :)

Edit: Not to overstate my 'contribution' :oops:
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Probably the new UNACO Trooper model that Phas sent to be animated.
Producer and Quality Assurance Manager for Deus Ex: Revision.
Akerfeldt
UNATCO

Post by Akerfeldt »

bjorn is one sharp cookie ;)
Taskeen
Thug

Post by Taskeen »

Cool. I just loaded up the vertex client as well. Letting the Quad Core handle it ;).
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I can't get the client anymore so I can't do anything!
bjorn98009_91
Silhouette

Post by bjorn98009_91 »

Well the queue is empty now, but just in case the old link still works, it's:

http://www.geocities.com/therocknod97/vertex2client.zip
Uriel
Mole Person

Post by Uriel »

Yep - queue empty. Jolly good.
Dead-eye
X-51

Post by Dead-eye »

Jonas wrote:
metche_steele wrote:People want new models and textures - I don't think it really matters if they still utilise the old animation set.
Hah. Right.

DDL: It's hard for me to find an animation in Deus Ex that I completely like. I think the gestures during conversations are alright, everything else is crap. The death animations manage to stand out as particularly über-terrible and cartoonish, just look at how stiffly a character dies when he falls backwards. All the animations just look a bit stiff and unnatural - cartoonish. If they were to be reworked, you could make it all a bit more "military", but even just making them look more organic would be a great improvement.

Of course I imagine the actual number of animations that the code restricts us to would put a dampener on any such improvements. And clearly we can't mocap anything, but I still think it should be possible to hand-animate something better - more natural.
I totally agree. I'm not much of an character animator (Thats project 3 of the max Fundy class, I'm still on project 2) But it seems to me that if you can rig a character then animating it should not be that hard. I could see why a quick fix would be good for a small team. However the character animations should have some improvements; they look dumb by todays standards. The death animation I don't care too much about because in DX:R it's a fairly organized to take a model and give it Karma physics.

As to the character animations being used for HDTP I was under the impression that the problem lies in that Vertex based animations are impossible to work with, isn't this tool used to to turn the already done bone based animations into vertex animations for HDTP models and also to turn the vertex based DX model animations into bone based for DX:R? Or is everyone saying that no one on the team knows how to do character animations?

Alex? Phasmatis? You guys know how to do character animations, RIGHT!??
Phasmatis
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Phasmatis »

Dead-eye wrote:But it seems to me that if you can rig a character then animating it should not be that hard...
I don't like comments like this. If it wasn't hard to do, any old modeller would be able to do it. It isn't easy, you have to know what muscles move when you walk and it isn't just the legs and arms, it's the shoulders, head, neck, pelvis, upper spine etc etc a lot of micro movement is involved, which is difficult.

BTW you realise most games nower days have good animation because it's motion captured not animated by hand.
Keeper of the pointy stick of injustice™.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

Animating's easy.
Making animations that are believable and realistic is ridiculously difficult.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Clearly it's time to get a hold of some mocap equipment.

Any suggestions?

;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
RAY16
Thug

Post by RAY16 »

Jonas wrote:Clearly it's time to get a hold of some mocap equipment.

Any suggestions?

;)
A box full of Wiimotes.