OpenGL Renderer

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Not really. People who don't know all that much or care about computers will naturally adopt the latest windows version (new = better, obviously). The people who pay attention to the tech news and would turn away from Vista due to bad performance are in the minority.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

You're neglecting that MacOSX Leopard is coming out in October. I suspect that consumers will catch onto the price drop if they haven't already.

Actually I've found that I've made more XP configurations than Vista, so yeah Consumers know that XP is better, they don't want to change and XP is hell more cheaper. I suspect few people will upgrade.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

People needed to upgrade to XP. Win9x had to die. NT and XP aren't brilliant, but it's such a huge upgrade from Windows ME, no? Vista has some neat features, and it looks pretty, but it has the same hurdles XP had (new driver model, performance loss) plus new DRM limitations. Only XP has been around a long time, and has been patched up. There's lots of support utilities for XP, and they've had longer to tweak the OS. Vista isn't as big an upgrade as XP was, so it's relying on OEM installs to propagate through the market.

I'm waiting on Windows Server 2008. If it still has the driver polling issue, where performance is so bad that an MP3 will stutter if you start downloading, I'm sticking with Server 2003, or going to Linux.
CryptoQuick
Thug

Post by CryptoQuick »

I decided to pick Deus Ex up again. I wanted to get the most out of my gaming experience, so I looked this OpenGL renderer up.

Man, this thing is sweet, that's all I got to say. It's practically half the HDTP/Nameless Mod project right there! But, the textures definitely need to be done. Get cracking on that other half, please...

At any rate, I came across an issue with my computer running Deus Ex. The game experiences random speed-ups and slow-downs, depending on when the app was started. This has probably already been talked about before, but just so that more people know, Deus Ex has a hard time running on dual core processors. This is probably because of the idle/power settings for the CPU, and it throttles things up or down for some reason. So, in order to fix this, start Deus Ex, tab over to Task Manager, find DeusEx.exe in Processes, then right click and click Set Affinity. Uncheck CPU 1, and Deus Ex will run just like it did in the old days.
Check this for more info:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p ... ostcount=1

Anyway, sorry if this has already been mentioned, but if it helps someone else, then I didn't waste my time writing this post. :)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It has been mentioned, but thanks anyway :)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Paul1290
NSF

Post by Paul1290 »

This OpenGL renderer really helps the lighting in this game.

It also got rid of the strange lag I would get when facing certain doors.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Note to self + others:

Jim was getting stuttering, removing:

FrameRateLimit=150

Fixed it.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

FrameRateLimit? :shock:

But... why!?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Donno, but we'll probably leave that line out of the TNM installer.
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yes.

I think we will.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Try setting it to 5 for shits and giggles? :P
r00tb33r
MJ12

Re: Resolution.

Post by r00tb33r »

Solid_Choke wrote:I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this, but does anyone know if the maximum resolution of 1280x800 is an Unreal Engine based limitation or is it an artificial game specific limitation? I would sure love to play Dues Ex atleast in my native LCD resolution of 1280x1024 if not 1600x1200. Also the finer details of the high resolution textures would be much more apparent if we could break through the resolution limits of the stock install of Deus Ex. Does anyone know for sure?
Deus Ex GOTY finds all the resolutions available on my card in Windows, including 1680x1050 which is the native resolution of my LCD.
Last edited by r00tb33r on Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
r00tb33r
MJ12

Post by r00tb33r »

This renderer DOES NOT WORK UNDER WINE ON LINUX. I get a blank screen, I hear sound in the background. I did change the appropriate section in the .ini. Original OpenGL does work though, but it's crappy. The latest nVidia driver for Linux supports forcing of AA and AF, so the DirectX emulation in Wine looks fine to me. The card used is a GeForce 9600GT 512MB.
I will eventually try it on Windows, but sounds like the results are card specific.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

DirectX works best in Wine, ironically :P
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Alex D
Thug

Post by Alex D »

Not really noticing a difference in the game looks wise with this. What should be different? o.O