Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

For one thing, it can actually handle the fog properly - the old renderers tend to make meshes appear just like if there were no fog. It also comes with built-in anti-aliasing I think, plus if I'm not mistaken it can even anti-alias masked textures now.

And finally you'll need it to get anything at all out of New Vision, and similarly, TNM will have several textures that'll be displayed in way higher res with one of the new renderers.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Alex D
Thug

Post by Alex D »

Oh... so kind of stuff I'm not really going to notice unless I was looking at it to begin with :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Yeah I agree it's hard to notice things you're not looking at. This is a rendering update, after all, not a sound driver update.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Alex D
Thug

Post by Alex D »

Yea pretty much.. Now we just need the HDTP to come out.. I wonder when thats going to be...
itsonlydanny
Thug

Post by itsonlydanny »

Hi,

Just tried the OpenGL Renderer 'mod' - but with no luck, I'm afraid.

Read through quite a lot of the stuff on this thread. Followed your advice with regards to altering/configuring the 'deusEx.ini' file (ie, cut-and-pasted the recommended settings). Then opened up DeusEx in Safe Mode, selected OpenGL, the Menu appeared - but every time I tried to alter or change any of the Display Options (which were all at the lowest possible settings, 16-bit, etc) I got the following message:

"Assertion failed: SetPixelFormat (m_hDc, nPixelFormat, &pfd) [File: .\OpenGL.cpp] [Line: 2854]"

And there was a load of other guff as well - but too much to quickly scribble down!

So, any ideas as to what is going wrong?

cheers,

itsonlydanny
XP Home+Vista Ultimate (32-bit) \ Intel E6750 @ 3.47 \ Abit IP-35 Pro \ 2gb Corsair XMS (800mhz) \ XFX 8800GTS 320mb \ Corsair CMPSUHX 620w PSU
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What video card do you have?

Have you tried using the Enhanced Direct3D Renderer?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
itsonlydanny
Thug

Post by itsonlydanny »

Hi Jonas.

I am using an XFX 8800GTS 320mb graphics card (my Tech Specs are in my signature).

No, what is the Enhanced Direct3D Renderer? I thought the whole point was to use OpenGL in order to 'boost' Deus Ex's graphics - or have I missed something?

all the best.
XP Home+Vista Ultimate (32-bit) \ Intel E6750 @ 3.47 \ Abit IP-35 Pro \ 2gb Corsair XMS (800mhz) \ XFX 8800GTS 320mb \ Corsair CMPSUHX 620w PSU
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

You have to actually download the enhanced renderer for it to be any good :-)

It can be found here: http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
itsonlydanny
Thug

Post by itsonlydanny »

Hi Trestkon,

Thanks for the hot tip. Will I have to edit the 'DeusEx.ini' file (just like with OpenGL Renderer) with the Enhanced Direct3D Renderer? If so, what do I do - the same as before, or different?

Thanks, as I'm not entirely sure.

(Well, I've just played-and-finished "Deus Ex" for the very first time - honest! - and I think it is the best game I've ever played. Now playing - or perhaps grappling - with "Deus Ex Invisible Wars". Seems OKish, but the accents & voice acting seems a bit peculiar).
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I don't know what sort of .ini settings you should use for the enhanced D3D renderer, but see if you can get the OpenGL renderer to work after you've downloaded it. Deus Ex does generally run a bit better with OpenGL, as I understand it. Since you've already made the .ini changes, just put the downloaded files into the right folders (I'm sure there's an .ini that tells you where it all goes) and it should work!
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
itsonlydanny
Thug

Post by itsonlydanny »

Hi Jonas,

Well, I gave it a go. 'OpenGL Support' mode still crashes as before - but when I opt for 'Direct3D 9 Support', it works fine. However, so far, I can't tell the difference! However, I've only played the opening level for a few minutes, so maybe the 'eye candy' quotient will increase later.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

No the changes are generally pretty small. Did you change your .ini at all for the D3D 9 renderer? I'm not sure things like anti-aliasing for masked textures are enabled by default.

But yeah you probably won't notice most of the textures. The thing is, however, when you start using HDTP and New Vision, their big-ass textures will actually be reduced in size by the old renderers, but not by the new - in other words you won't be able to tell a significant difference until you install one of those mods (and they aren't done yet, so you'll have to wait I'm afraid).
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Jetsetlemming
Illuminati

Post by Jetsetlemming »

Jonas wrote:No the changes are generally pretty small. Did you change your .ini at all for the D3D 9 renderer? I'm not sure things like anti-aliasing for masked textures are enabled by default.

But yeah you probably won't notice most of the textures. The thing is, however, when you start using HDTP and New Vision, their big-ass textures will actually be reduced in size by the old renderers, but not by the new - in other words you won't be able to tell a significant difference until you install one of those mods (and they aren't done yet, so you'll have to wait I'm afraid).
There was a first beta release of New Vision, wasn't there? Or did they withdraw that becuase of the couple of issues it had?
itsonlydanny
Thug

Post by itsonlydanny »

Jonas wrote:Did you change your .ini at all for the D3D 9 renderer?
No, as I wouldn't really know how to :oops: . What should I do? As you might have guessed, I'm not particularly clued up on all this sort of stuff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

I'm sorry but I don't know :(
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine