Enter The Thinktank... Ideas for HDTP

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Iki
Thug

Post by Iki »

I remember trying to get different models for weapons to work myself (different model when scope is on, etc) but I either couldn't figure out when to call it or just didn't understand it. Given that I've been programming in C for two years now, I really should go back and have a peek. :oops:

I forget if it's been covered here, but the old project had talk of randomizing NPCs. By NPCs, of course, I mean the ones who didn't matter to the storyline. (civilians, guards, etc) Make a variation or two of them and then use a script to determine which one is spawned. I think it was possible, at least, if not just more work for the modellers. :P
We will cook you to appease our sexy god!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

It's possible, but not necessarily a good idea. If nothing else, it's just more work for the modellers and/or texturers. And they already have plenty to do.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Since when did Iki go active again? haven't seen him since DX Rebirth. Hey Iki..

Anyway, if i remember rightly Lagman tried to get NPCs to use other augmentations such as speed legs and aqua lung. rather than just Cloaking and ballistic armor. Do i have the wrong person again.. it was a while ago.

Correct me if im wrong here.

This is a little off topic though, getting back to my idea. I was considering removing all the unrealistic stuff in Deus Ex simply because it makes the game more of a game and I loose that feeling of emersion from it. Of course with dated graphics Its hard to think that you can emerse yourself into a games environment... that will soon change with HDTP. We haven't really looked into that with HDTP so far, which is really important as to the feeling that Deus Ex gives off during play. It will no doubt have an effect of the transition from low poly to high poly. Unless you guys think im just wasting my time??
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:This is a little off topic though, getting back to my idea. I was considering removing all the unrealistic stuff in Deus Ex simply because it makes the game more of a game and I loose that feeling of emersion from it.
So you want to remove the Nano-Augmented agents, the lockpicks, multitools, DTS, Medpacks, Medbots, Recharge Bots, Nano-packs, Augmentations, Augmentation Upgrades, explosive barrels, explosive crates, large generic ammo boxes holding single packs of ammunition, rebreathers, GEP Guns, PS20's and LAM's?

The whole point of futuristic RPG/FPS games is to present you with wacky, off-the-wall FUTURISTIC-type weapons of mayhem and destruction. If all games were stripped of their unrealistic parts, we'd be reduced to playing Pong.

To me, a game isn't a game unless I'm given the ability to "live" a life not possible in the real world. Deus Ex was, to me, immersive not because of the futuristic elements, but because of the story. I don't think anything in DX, bar the graphics, should be changed. We're the High-Definition TEXTURE Pack, not the Remove Futuristic Gameplay Pack

>_>
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

I have to agree with Master_Kale.

What do you mean? On the surface it sounds like a badly thought out idea. Nothing stood out to me as being particularly wrong. In context to anything else... The game is full of unrealistic things which go with the futuristic story.

All the comments in this thread seem to be talking about other mods. Such modification is not what we are working on.
Whisperblade
NSF

Post by Whisperblade »

All the unrealistic STUFF MAN.

So the entire story?
OOOHHH lets remove JC, no one can talk like that forever!
50x50? Why bother with an avatar?
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

JC is a clone stuffed to the brim with nanotechnology.

I wouldn't call it unreasonable to label him as unrealistic.
Last edited by Jonas on Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

So what would be left? JC wouldn't have augs, you wouldn't wear sunglasses, you'd be dead when the terrorists fire one shot, the grenades explode instantly when you come near. Hmmm... Sounds like Diablo 2 on Hell 8)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

There were terrorists and grenades in Diablo? :shock:
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

of course, those shrieking things in the desert were throwing bombs and attacking the peaceful city of ... I can't remember, but they even infested the harem! Criminals!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

woah! u guys really blew that outta proportion.

What i meant was make the game so it looks something resembling a modern day FPS, where if you get hit by a grenade you dont see blue shit hit you.

Or things like cloaking actually cloaking a person...

Or not being able to see lasers that are infared.. ect..

Or not having loads of TNT just lying around on trollies..

and then we've got the whole blood factor where it seems to splash out of people... WTF!

thats all i wanted to do.. geez u didn't have to go nutz like that.

[EDIT] and most of peoples comments just really annoyed the crap out of me simply because they lack anything ressembling an argumentative case .. so just a warning, if you don't want to be shot out of the water, dont provoke an argument with me... :P
Billy Bob Joe
Thug

Post by Billy Bob Joe »

...you want to remove crates of boom? Why? They're only there to make the experience more fun! For example, the scene in Vandenburg where there's an MiB and an MJ12 soldier (I think that was them) and a trolley with a crate of boom nearby, just WAITING to be pushed and then shot at when in range. Can't you suspend your disbelief just long enough to make up an excuse as to why they have TNT crates around?

Also, the lasers: and what, then you would have to smoke cigs to see them? Hey, let's give JC a bandana! And we can add "I NEED SCISSORS! 61!" somewhere!
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Mr_Cyberpunk wrote:so just a warning, if you don't want to be shot out of the water, dont provoke an argument with me... :P
:/

Just remember there's a reason all this is in here. A lot of it is to make the game playable, some is just to avoid making it exceptionally frustrating. Invisible enemies sounds less than fun to me. Invisible lasers could work, considering you still have the sound and the emitter to warn you of their presence, but if you remove the sound too (because that's not exactly realistic either), then you might just make them exceptionally annoying.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

Your initial post wasn't very specific in what you were talking about.

The blue explosions are from EMP grenades, the normal grenades have a firey explosion. Even if it is unrealistic, it's part of the gameplay and helps you see where you attacked.

Taking damage from a source that you cannot sense from sight or sound is going to be irritating. How could you respond to it? In the Ghost Recon games it's sometimes really annoying when you get killed from afar and have no idea in which direction your assailant was. Why not lie to yourself and say that JC, with his enhanced vision, can see the entire EM spectrum.

What are you going to base your argument on for these ideas? Read the title of the thread which you started "Enter The Thinktank... Ideas for HDTP".

Such a modification is not the aim of this particular mod and i'll think you'd also find that most people wouldn't prefer it. A more appropriate title would be: Enter the Thinktank - Ideas for Modding Deus Ex".

Whilst having modding ideas is good, having ideas for our project would be even better!
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Fine then.. What i was trying to put together is that somewhere in Deus Ex there is a game trying to be an espionage agent game similar to the style of Metal Gear Solid, except that we're talking about an FPS here. What i was trying to say was that the realism elements are based around making things look as they would in real life, for instance an explosion would just explode and emit no shockwave. Emps are fine except that they could be made to look like electricity.

In terms of the cloaking, well there was only one character in the whole game that uses it anyway... And i found anna to be too piss easy.
Whilst having modding ideas is good, having ideas for our project would be even better!
Yes I know that!!! this is meerly theoretical talk, I have neither time nor patients to conduct a mod like this.

Could you guys please stop being to put it bluntly complete jerks on the subject. Jonas has at least bothered to present his understanding clearly, and I thank you for that. But the rest of you are acting like politicians, you just want to undermine my crediability... WELL IT AINT GONNA WORK!
Also, the lasers: and what, then you would have to smoke cigs to see them? Hey, let's give JC a bandana! And we can add "I NEED SCISSORS! 61!" somewhere!
You could program the game so that if the smoke hits the laser it shows yes.. and yes Billy Bob you do make a good point. but tactically it just seemed stupid to leave a stack of tnt lying in the middle of the room full of guards!!!
Enter the Thinktank - Ideas for Modding Deus Ex"
this thread got hijacked anyway, its not my fault that it lost scope, I originally posted just some general ideas and it lead to a discussion on changing the whole structure of the game!! I originally posted some ideas that i knew would get shot down.. plus don't think im wasting my time with these ideas.. they take barely any time considering how poorly thoughtout they are.

I think some people in this forum need to look at what they are commenting because some of you are posting insult like.. which is a good way to rip the communities gutz out. I'm sorry if i've offended anyone.. And lets just drop this whole discussion because it was a stupid idea and i just wanted to see what you guys thought.. or haven't you guys gotten use to me yet?