Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

It does apply the object texture onto the fragments, though. Sometimes this works, sometimes...not so much (try breaking up a hanging pig carcass).
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

Yeah, I went into the game and tried it with various objects around UNATCO HQ -- including the potplant in question. Whilst the fragment models stay essentially the same -- depending on the materials, as has been said -- the textures DO NOT. Each model has an individually textured fragment. I've tried it with various potplants, and the textures on the fragments reflect the original texture of the pre-destroyed model. So, in short, yeah. What the dude above said. :P
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

I think it uses random parts of the texture, from what I've seen. Because you somtimes see black parts on it.
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

i was looking at the mesh viewer in UnrealEd and saw that there are 3 models for metal, wood, etc. so if there are only three textures, i dunno.... :?
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What? I'm not sure you get it. In the class of an item, you specify which fragment model it should use. Then when you break the item, the texture from it will be transferred to the fragments.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
evil_leprechaun
Thug

Post by evil_leprechaun »

ah, i see, i wasnt sure bout the textures u see. Nice one, thanks Jonas ;)
"Do not go gently into that good night, Rage, rage against the dying of the light" - Dylan Thomas
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

I'm putting the finishing touches to the UV maps of Pan1, Pan4, Plant1, Pot1, Pot2 and WHRedflowers.

JayJay already finished the texture for Pan1 tonight.

Here is a screenshot for you all:
Image[/url]
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Master_Kale »

Nice, but is that as round as the pans will get? Were the pans remodelled? I'm not sure :?
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

It has three extra slices compared to the original. I could up it to 16 slices and it should still stya it under 200 polys. What do you guys think?
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

I recon you should go for it Lofa - I mean we shouldnt by shy with the ploys and so long as its still at a reasonable amount then why not max it out?

Im worried we'll get so far then turn around and think - "Hey, damn, maybe we shoiuld have injected more ploys into x y and z."

Anyways - please keep the current .3ds just in case.
JayJay
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by JayJay »

Yeah, go for it Lofa, it makes sense. I got no problem redoing the texture if need be ;)
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

I like the scratched bottom of the pan, much more realistic. The underside is cool too, though I haven't seen a pan that looks quite like it. It does look like a baking tin though with the sides, fully round is ideal. If my computer hardware can't take it now, it will in the future. I can lower the resolution now, but no amount of FSAA will make the pan round later.
Rick-sama
Thug

Post by Rick-sama »

I've never seen a pan that had angular sides.
I say, you should make it completely round.
It's more realistic that way.

"In the future... all pans are square..." :lol:
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

Better?

This version is 160 polys. I can easily up that value with more slices, but I don't really think it would be worth the resources.

Last edited by lofaesofa on Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Completely round you say. That would be, what? A billion polygons? A trillion? Oh, I guess it'd be an infinite amount of polygons, wouldn't it? Although you'd probably only need a couple tens of thousands to make it look round. Still quite a bit more than DX can handle, methinks. Especially for something as insignificant as a frying pan ;)
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine