Contributing to Our Development Process!

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Re: Contributing to Our Development Process!

Post by Jonas »

As a post-script, I realise that I almost confirmed your accusations with my last post, but I'm just confused. I worked with a huge group of people for 7 years to release a ridiculously large Deus Ex modification for no economic compensation (really, no money, we did it for the fun of development and to learn from people's feedback) and then I stick up for the HDTP team who are in a pretty similar situation to where I was 2 years ago, and all of a sudden, nothing else matters anymore? I'm just an asshole who never contributed anything to the Deus Ex community?

Does that sound about right to you, demercel?
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

There is that shitload of money you get paid as admin/mod of the OTP forums. :mrgreen:

You pay for something you can demand what you will.

You get it for free then really what demands can you make? Hurry up or I won't pay you? If you don't give us an update I won't use your mod?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Gahhhrrrlic
Thug

Post by Gahhhrrrlic »

Guys.........no need to get all heated up here. All i was askin for was 3 data points. That's certainly less than 1 post per week and would certainly consume such a tantum amount of time as to have a near zero effect on the rate of actual progress being made. On the plus side, for a relatively inexpensive investment (giving a quantitative measure of stuff left to do) you could save yourselves a couple of man hours writing posts in response to flamers and trolls who are pissed off because they don't know what's happening. Make sense?
Last edited by Gahhhrrrlic on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hey I can't speak for the others, but I was getting heated up about demercel. Far as I can tell, you've done nothing to earn my ire.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

Ok, this month* I have

A) talked to DaveW about some new textures
B) got feedback from DaveW re: the latest build (there is one, you know..also, DaveW deserves props)
C) spent about 8 hours of a free weekend importing, exporting, importing, exporting and modifying the assault rifle so it actually WORKS in the unreal engine
D) spent about 2 hours looking at the assault rifle and going ...fuuuuuck, you were only JUST worth it, you bastard (it is lovely, tho, just a hell of a lot of fiddly work-not the modeller/texturer's fault, the unreal engine is just an asshole)

the rest has been basically work, sleep and travel. Yay trains.

*weeks are far far too easily gone with "done nuthin coz was working too hard", so monthly is better
SleepyHe4d
Thug

Post by SleepyHe4d »

DDL wrote:Ok, this month* I have

A) talked to DaveW about some new textures
B) got feedback from DaveW re: the latest build (there is one, you know..also, DaveW deserves props)
C) spent about 8 hours of a free weekend importing, exporting, importing, exporting and modifying the assault rifle so it actually WORKS in the unreal engine
D) spent about 2 hours looking at the assault rifle and going ...fuuuuuck, you were only JUST worth it, you bastard (it is lovely, tho, just a hell of a lot of fiddly work-not the modeller/texturer's fault, the unreal engine is just an asshole)

the rest has been basically work, sleep and travel. Yay trains.

*weeks are far far too easily gone with "done nuthin coz was working too hard", so monthly is better
*prostrates* [-o<
Gahhhrrrlic
Thug

Post by Gahhhrrrlic »

thank you
Salk
UNATCO

Post by Salk »

DDL... [-o< [-o< [-o<
demercel
Mole Person

Post by demercel »

Well, for who is interested in this, I will try to explain my previous post.
I am a big fan of DX and I am impatiently waiting for HDTP release. I am checking the forum from time to time, which seems to me is the only public part of the project which is still updated. I know that before asking I should check if someone else asked my qestion already, so I browse through new posts wich looked like qestions for the release date or progress update. And the last time I did this - I realize that 2 days I am reading posts who end up with negative comments, insults and basicly not pretty things about the people are eager to see the final release, asking for progress, asking for beta or are frstrated that the work takes too much time. And most of them were, well, polite. Obviosly the things Jonas speak about insulting team members (cocks, mothers, etc) are deleted. So I thought and still think that people who are not that rude and just ask for stuff should not be bashed that harsh.
So, about the attitude. The project is made by volunteers, in their spare time, nobody is paying them, so, yeah, they can do whatever whenever they want with it. Sure. But when it is announced and has a site and one release people expect more. They dont have the power over the project members, again, so they are not in position to DEMAND or anything, but they share the love for a great game with these members and ending each and every question about date of final release with "Dont feed the trolls" is not helping anyone. That is what I am trying to say. Developers have feelengs and they are frustrated from the enormous amount of work they have to do to finish the project, from the real trolls, hack attacks and other nasty stuff, but calling everyone troll and idiot, threatening with ban and basically making him/her look like unthankful, stupid person means that you alienate fans of your work and yourself, because you just want to be left alone and allows only unconditional love, gratitude and no f****ing questions for the project finish, but people who come here and ask are also sad/frustrated that after so many years the project is not finished yet.
If my previous post looked emotional (it was), is because after reading in this forum I reallize, that even I have never asked for that stuff (release date, progress update) or gave word about my doubts about project ever beeing finished, I somehow became one of the idiot trolls, just because I was thinking the same things many have asked or said and beeing answered with anger and attacks.
At some point I was right. Answers of my post are gravitating around the idea that I have no right to say ehat I said, that I am unjustifiably attacking members of the team, Jonas is angry again with some new rant from fans (mine) and people who are "loyal" to the team are not sure if I am troll, but are still thinking. The post became long and not very clear again, so I should really stop here.
Peace, and hope you will finish it soon.
Nameless Voice
UNATCO

Post by Nameless Voice »

demercel wrote:I am checking the forum from time to time, which seems to me is the only public part of the project which is still updated.
Not true, as of today: http://www.emmersivestudios.com/
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

Holy Crap thats Amasing :mrgreen:
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

That site looks so fake. Stuff, dev, about, gallery, contact, etc.. Stellar as a HL2 then UT3 mod. Took me two looks to figure out what was going on, though I think I saw that site before.

It looks like Usual is getting married! From the names listed in the forum, I'm guessing that's Metche. Congratulations!

I guess the relevant part to this thread is that HDTP is planned to be finished once and for all.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Some years ago Metche did post about Stellar: http://www.offtopicproductions.com/foru ... it=stellar

But it seems that plan has been superseded by a new mod idea which rings a bell somewhat. The Stellar concept seemed interesting though, but alas, it was cryogenically frozen.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Kittenykat
Mole Person

Post by Kittenykat »

Yaaaay good work DDL! :D
Angel-A
UNATCO

Post by Angel-A »

*Cough*
I don't want to impose... But.......... JC... Looks... Really... Old...

Don't get me wrong, HDTP JC looks frigging awesome as hell, but he looks a lot older than 23. I know HD brings out the lines, but, gosh, is he really that bad? =X
It's the laugh-lines, they seem much too prominent