Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

:D

Ah that's cool. I was just worried that you had extended its functionality somehow by making it brighter, or something.
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

Good Smoke sir, I think I like your mod. Having just crawled out from under a very large rock, I have not heard nor seen it before -- but I am pleased to say that it does the game justice.

Some of these elements definitely need to be incorporated into the HDTP project. One question, I had the same tired old installation problem -- quickly resolved through the advice of a fellow error message trauma victim. I've moved the contents of the System folder into the Smoke folder -- can I get rid of the original files now? I don't think I need them -- and I sure as hell don't want them.

As for tranferring some of the Smoke's brilliant innovations over to the HDTP, I am 100% for it. Even some of the minor gameplay chages should be reproduced, in my opinion. I love the new ability to be able to turn off the IR goggles -- instead of being forced to waste the whole charge in a single illuminating burst.

The one element I have some concerns about is that of the blood on the melee weapons. I haven't experimented with it a lot, but the blood seems to stick -- even when switching weapons around, and progressing to different levels.

Would all great Neptune's oceans wash this blood clean from my hand?

My point is, it looks gratuitously messy to start with, but then progresses seamlessly to annoying. Possibly only the weapon should show blood, and not the hand holding it? Or maybe JC could ask for a temporary ceasefire in mid-combat, giving him a chance to pull out a cloth and wipe his HIV positive blade. Or he could simply make use of his dark coloured pants -- black doesn't show blood!
Last edited by Red on Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Heyy.... Theres an idea. Why not make it so that Characters get blood splatter on them. Cool! It'd be like that movie American Psycho where Bale chops everyone up and you see all the blood splash on his face and on the walls. muhahahaha.

Btw. Your in Adelaide too red. Cool ;) Lots of DX players here from the looks of things.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Red wrote:Good Smoke sir, I think I like your mod. Having just crawled out from under a very large rock, I have not heard nor seen it before -- but I am pleased to say that it does the game justice.

Some of these elements definitely need to be incorporated into the HDTP project. One question, I had the same tired old installation problem -- quickly resolved through the advice of a fellow error message trauma victim. I've moved the contents of the System folder into the Smoke folder -- can I get rid of the original files now? I don't think I need them -- and I sure as hell don't want them.

As for tranferring some of the Smoke's brilliant innovations over to the HDTP, I am 100% for it. Even some of the minor gameplay chages should be reproduced, in my opionion. I love the new ability to be able to turn off the IR goggles -- instead of being forced to waste the whole charge in a single illuminating burst.

The one element I have some concerns about is that of the blood on the melee weapons. I haven't experimented with it a lot, but the blood seems to stick -- even when switching weapons around, and progressing to different levels.

What, will these hands ne'er be clean? Would all great Neptune's oceans wash this blood clean from my hand?

My point is, it looks gratuitously messy to start with, but then progresses seamlessly to annoying. Possibly only the weapon should show blood, and not the hand holding it? Or maybe JC could ask for a temporary ceasefire in mid-combat, giving him a chance to pull out a cloth and wipe his HIV positive blade. Or he could simply make use of his dark coloured pants -- black doesn't show blood!

Agreed. I think we should put them in as optional... atleast, most of them.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

JC_Helios wrote:*Update*: I got it to work by copying all the system files into the "smoke39" folder
I got it working by following the instructions in the included readme file :giggle:
-open DeusEx.ini in DeusEx\System and above "Paths=..\System\*.u" add "Paths=..\System\Smoke39\*.u"
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

Red wrote:The one element I have some concerns about is that of the blood on the melee weapons. I haven't experimented with it a lot, but the blood seems to stick -- even when switching weapons around, and progressing to different levels.

What, will these hands ne'er be clean? Would all great Neptune's oceans wash this blood clean from my hand?
The blood is decremented a bit every time you switch weapons. Switch back and forth a few times and it'll be gone. You can also wash it off by taking a swim. I thought of making it so you could wash it off at sinks and showers, too, but never implemented it.
JC_Helios
X-51

Post by JC_Helios »

EER wrote:
JC_Helios wrote:*Update*: I got it to work by copying all the system files into the "smoke39" folder
I got it working by following the instructions in the included readme file :giggle:
-open DeusEx.ini in DeusEx\System and above "Paths=..\System\*.u" add "Paths=..\System\Smoke39\*.u"
well when I did that i got an error message saying that the file "extension.u" was missing, and so I had to put all the system files in the smoke39 folder to get it to work >:D

And don't, for a second assume I'm some idiot that can't read a readme :roll:
JC
NSF

Post by JC »

My opinion on all this is that Deus Ex can't be faithfully updated as it would look shit. You need to have slight adjustments here and there to make acceptable. Look at Gunther. Some of the additions really are fantastic, smoke you're a talented guy.

Basically, I'm all for slight adjustments. Go for it.
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

So I'm looking through my modified DeusExPlayer class, and I'm encountering some stuff I think I haven't mentioned. For one, getting drunk is more disorienting, and doesn't have the stupid blackness all over your screen. Also, if you walk on top of a decoration your footstep sound is based on the material of the decoration, rather than the ground underneath. For example, I remember jumping on metal crates in the grass on Libery Island and hearing grass footstep noises. Fixed. Also, running in water makes ripples with every step you take. I'll keep pokin' around later, gotta go back to school.
VodunLoas
Thug

Post by VodunLoas »

I get a critical error when running your mod saying:

"Can't find Function in the file 'Function DeusEx.AugLight.Active.BeginState"
VodunLoas | DeusEx-Portal.com
Mxyzptlk
Mole Person

Post by Mxyzptlk »

I am having problems with smokes mod too. whenever I start it up it says:
Can't find Float property in file 'FloatProperty Engine.PlayerReplicationInfo.Streak'
History:uObject::SafeLoadError <-uObject::StaticLoadClass <-InitEngine
I have tried all prior mentioned methods of fixing it, but nothing has worked. I followed the readme to the T before trying any of the methods, of course, and it still didn't work.

Help?
Mxyzptlk - the fierce
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

I overcame this problem by COPYING all of the contents of the 'System' folder into the 'Smoke39' folder -- though I DIDN'T overwrite any files already there. That should fix the problem -- and if it doesn't, blame Hitler.

Of course, now that I've told you, I'm going to have to kill you.

And consequently, now that I've pulled one of the most trite phrases in existance, I'm going to have to kill myself.
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
VodunLoas
Thug

Post by VodunLoas »

Just to let you know, my problem was easily solved. The MTL mod which is for multiplayer isn't compatible with smokes mod.
VodunLoas | DeusEx-Portal.com
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

Red wrote:I overcame this problem by COPYING all of the contents of the 'System' folder into the 'Smoke39' folder -- though I DIDN'T overwrite any files already there.
That's not neccesary. Is this perhaps applicable to you?
The_lone1 wrote:instead of changing the paths to this:

Code: Select all

Paths=..\System\Smoke39\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx
you should have it like this:

Code: Select all

Paths=..\System\Smoke39\*.u
Paths=..\System\*.u
Paths=..\Maps\*.dx
Paths=..\Textures\*.utx