Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Fan2

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Fan2 HDTP Texture

Alright, Cyberpunk here again. I actually had some time to do some texturing today and also managed to play a bit of Syndicate and Syndicate Wars too.

So here the sucker is.. Fan2.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7283/fan24yu.jpg

And the Original

It might be a bit too dark, if that be the case i will make it lighter. I notice on a Tube monitor it is really really dark, but LCD seems to love it more. (i designed it on a LCD LG Flatron, with the gamma on full so it may explain a bit)

The new texture is a lot more grittier, thanks to some cleaver embossing and lighting. I also removed the yucky Redish metal that supported the blade, due to the fact that it'd make more sense to attach 2 metal sheets rather than 3. I also added an additional Screw on the blade for support (because it's going really really really fast! we don't want it flying off now do we...)

I also added Large screws to the base so that it looks like a well built peice of machinery.

On the technical side
I managed the 3D effect using the Emboss filter in Photoshop and then Overlaying it, or if it was too dark Colour Dodging it so that it'd give it a 3D feel. For the rounded effect you see on both the Blades and the Base, i used an Inner Shadow, but for the Blade left it to one side because the blades are slanted (or at least they should be in reality.) you'll also notice the small slits, they are to give a sorta cyclone effect if this were a real fan. See.. I can do research.

Awaiting Approval.
Also, Ajare I need you to test out a 3D version soon, So i'll PM you once I get both Approval from the community and the file put on the database.

Hope you all like it ;)

ERROR: The bolts on the Base are NOT symmetrical. I will fix this. (you'll be able to see the error if it were 3D, the blades would be off from the Base bolts.. This could be a problem... I will fix it)
Last edited by Mr_Cyberpunk on Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

I can't believe that some of you texturers are working without previewing your stuff in 3d. How do you know that it fits on, that there are no seams, etc?

Anyway, for what it's worth, the texture looks really good. The circular bits around the rim of the central hub look a bit 'stuck on', but the rest of it is awesome, especially the fan blade itself.

The uv-map probably could have been packed a little better to give you a little more space for the central hub, but I guess it's too late. (Not your fault, of course).

Another note: it's probably better to post the 256x256 version, because that's what will be used in-game. I know it means you won't be showing off your work at its best, but you can always link to the high-res if you wish.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I can't believe that some of you texturers are working without previewing your stuff in 3d. How do you know that it fits on, that there are no seams, etc?
Shadowing it the way i've done it should remove any seems.. Im making assumptions here. And it fits on because this time I followed the TEMPLATE EXACTLY as it is directed. I know the last version i did for you Ajare it was a bit out. This time it should fit exactly.

I will note your comments and hopefully fix everything. Also I'm a good texture artist so I can practically tell what it'll look like in 3D anyway, but let me know incase i did fuck something up again.

Thanks Aj.

[EDIT] Yeah I was having a bit of trouble with the UV map being soo small. Thats kinda why the Bolts are out on the base. Don't worry, I'll adapt and fix it.
Last edited by Mr_Cyberpunk on Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Cool, so you actually work on the mod too. Who woulda thought...

Good texture, would be WAY more useful to see it on the model though.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

That'd be Ajare job once i fix it.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

That sir is f-ing brilliant. I think you caught my reaction well on msn lol.

Excellent job! I want to see more quality work like that from you ;) Youve set yourself a high standard so I expect you to follow thru' with other textures ;).

Well done! :D
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

well its about time i'd show you guys what i can do. I should no doubt be able to hold a high standard of quality. So don't worry metche.
Cool, so you actually work on the mod too. Who woulda thought...
Yep.. Who woulda thought. Strange me actually doing something constructive rather than Hypothetical. putting ones money where ones mouth is.. ect.
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

Ajare wrote: The uv-map probably could have been packed a little better
Hmm, turns out I made this model. :oops: Could've sworn it was Pedro.

Anyway, here's a pic - texture scaled down to 256x256. Looks good enough to me.

lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

That's looking good on the model but I think it should be made a little lighter. The original is a lot lighter, but I prefer the shadows on your texture.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Seconded.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

It'll probably look brighter in-game. Any time I screw with textures I always have to make them abnormally dark to not look washed out in-game.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

You may need to re-configer your gamma out of game.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

f-cking awesome!

but I also agree with lofa & Jonas. It should be brighter, but if Smoke is right, forget I said that ;)

I should really get 'coherent posting for dummies' shouldn't I?
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Stamped for further Augmentation based on In-game testing results

There happy, Yep Ajare it was you that modeled it that's why I directed the 3D work at you but thanks for doing that ;).

If you'd like the PCX file I'll add it to the Database. just say the word and it'll be done.

[EDIT] there is still some changes I need to make to the texture. Somethings still don't allign properly as I predicted it would.
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Lighter.. done
Shadows still maintained... done
Fixed Symetrical issue.... done
Fixed Colour seams.... done (note the new railing ;) mmm thats good rust!)
Moved the bolts so that you can see them.... done
256x256 preview.... done
I can provide a 512x512 if you'd like.