Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Fox Hound
Thug

HDSP

Post by Fox Hound »

Thanks to this audio clip on .:[Matt's Blog]:. I had a thought. TNM will look gorgeous thanks to the HDTP, but how will it sound? I'm not talking about the soundtrack (as I know that will be good), but the ambiant map sounds (as I think the're called). Will there be any new sounds for the news station?

I understand how it could be difficult to rerecord a high quality sound clip for a L.A.M, or a new cat screech sound without your neighbours calling the R.S.P.C.A, but is this a project sitting on the horizon or a crazy idea?

/discuss
Master_Kale
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Re: HDSP

Post by Master_Kale »

Fox Hound wrote:Thanks to this audio clip on .:[Matt's Blog]:. I had a thought. TNM will look gorgeous thanks to the HDTP, but how will it sound? I'm not talking about the soundtrack (as I know that will be good), but the ambiant map sounds (as I think the're called). Will there be any new sounds for the news station?

I understand how it could be difficult to rerecord a high quality sound clip for a L.A.M, or a new cat screech sound without your neighbours calling the R.S.P.C.A, but is this a project sitting on the horizon or a crazy idea?

/discuss
OMFG someone actually plugged my blog ;)

As for the sound of DX, I'd say leave it be. Its one thing to change the graphics to make use of modern day technology, but I think its another to edit the sound. I know they would both fall under the category of artistic interpretation, but I say leave the ambient sounds as they are.

Sound has always been a major part of any kind of moving media, from movies to games, and by changing the sounds, you can peeve some people off...though I guess the same holds true to the in-game graphics.

GRR, so confused :x
Solid_Choke
UNATCO

Re: HDSP

Post by Solid_Choke »

Fox Hound wrote:Thanks to this audio clip on .:[Matt's Blog]:. I had a thought. TNM will look gorgeous thanks to the HDTP, but how will it sound? I'm not talking about the soundtrack (as I know that will be good), but the ambiant map sounds (as I think the're called). Will there be any new sounds for the news station?

/discuss
I think the sound in the game is perfect. Yeah it sounds like it is low quality digital but I think that adds to the world they are trying to create in Deus Ex.
Fox Hound
Thug

Post by Fox Hound »

Yes Deus Ex is supposed to be dystopian (some of the low quality audio adds to the overall effect). However if, just the ones that, at the time, they were limited as to what they could acheve were rerecorded it would make it so much more effective.

For example: Insted of having, "Wah-wah, wah wah wah, wah, wah-wa-wah" for a news report, the news anchor could describe a terroist atteack, and becaure that would become insanly boring after hearing it for the 300th time, it could only happen when you "used" the T.V. just as you would "use" the vending machene or a pinball table...

Food for thought...
justanotherfan
Illuminati

Post by justanotherfan »

It's possible that many of the sound files were intentionally low qualty, good example with the TV. The TV could have played a bigger part in the story (I forget, wasn't DX2 having that?) but it's too late now. I don't think that sounds like that should be changed.

Higher quality in-game sounds for more realism (guns, dropping pans, sword hitting metal) would be better though. I don't mean to change all the sounds, but if a new sound for the LAM could rock my sound system, then I'm all for it.
Dragon
Silhouette

Post by Dragon »

dx2 had no tvs at all. the best you had are those news-terminals which are only spoken though.
Leader and Head Programmer: Epsylon, Drag[en]gine Game Engine (Alt-Page) and others
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

I don't think the sound was meant to be low quality. Realistically, it was probably due to hardware limitations at the time. I mean, I'd like to think that the 'mittens' effect of the original models was some sort of bold statement about future socio-economic depression. I'd also like to beleive that the generic character model design taught players important cultural lessons -- fat people of varying height don't exist in 2050.

I don't beleive the music from the game should be changed. I don't even beleive that the ridiculous Australian accents should be altered. However, I do think that some of the [ambient] sound effects need work. Deus Ex is meant to be an immersive experience, and sound plays quite a large role in ensuring that we all stay healthily paranoid about government conspiracies until the rest of the year...

...assuming we haven't been turned into souless soldiers by MJ12.

...or the Russians. Just having an innocent drink in the Lucky Money -- hah! I know their game!
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Please download our new trailer and listen to the awesome new assault rifle sounds.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

Sound improvement is a big thing.
from movies to games, and by changing the sounds, you can peeve some people off
If that were true they would have never remade the starwars trilogy. Starwars SE was probably the greatest movie improvement ever conceived. The sounds were SOOO much better.

It just goes to show u that u can still do it and not piss fans off.
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

Indeed.
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.