Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
Voyo
Mole Person

Gas grenades

Post by Voyo »

Is there a posibility that you could change the poison gas so it could be REAL gas, not just flying sprites coloured green?
Fulgrymm
UNATCO

Post by Fulgrymm »

That would require more advanced shaders than what DX7 can provide.
Trestkon
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Trestkon »

Also, some sort of realistic physics, which DX doesn't have:p
-Life does not snap to the x-axis
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

You could probably make the effect a bit more convincing, though, possibly by using more and smaller clouds that collide and move against walls properly.
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Smoke39 wrote:You could probably make the effect a bit more convincing, though, possibly by using more and smaller clouds that collide and move against walls properly.
Aye, and make them less defined - lighter edges, less detail.
I bet you could get it pretty nice lookin'.
Smoke39
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by Smoke39 »

After a bit of experimenting:

Physics need some work...

Each puff uses the source texture of the old wet texture versions. That is, they don't ripple like they did before. Looks gentler and more gasy.

Each puff also slowly moves around randomly. Also, the puffs don't all appear immediately dispersed; they all start from the same point and quickly fly outward, smoothly slowing down until they're mostly still except for the random movement.

Their draw scale is more random now, which also helps the overall cloud look less uniform. They also get a little bit of vertical velocity now.

There are quite a bit more puffs now per grenade. One grenade can noticably hurt the framerate a little bit, so I'll see if I can clean that up without having to scale back on the effect.

Finally, this could affect gameplay. Besides the fact that I think I might've increased the radius a bit (which can be easily tweaked), each puff deals damage like the old ones. So you get a much denser cover of an area. Might not really be that big a deal, I'm not sure. This could perhaps be worked around by making a lot of the puffs dummies that don't do damage and are just there for appearance.

Also, the fact that the puffs move out from one point rather than appear instantly disperssed slightly decreases its immediacy, and also they won't appear through thin walls like before.

This'll probably be staying in my mod. Like the other stuff in my mod, I'd be happy tol implement it in HDTP if you guys decide that it's appropriate.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Smoke39 wrote:This'll probably be staying in my mod. Like the other stuff in my mod, I'd be happy tol implement it in HDTP if you guys decide that it's appropriate.
Depending on whether you get the physics fixxored, this is definitely something I'd like to assimilate into TNM. It looks really nice, just like those new fire effects of yours :D
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Great effect smoke! I'd love to see it in DX :)

(So feel free to let us know if you have uploaded a new version of your mod ;))
Voyo
Mole Person

Post by Voyo »

Woow! Great job, Smoke! It looks just like it should! Although that's a pity that it probably won't be implemented in HDTP (it affects gameplay) :(
Darkshade
HDTP Member
HDTP Member

Post by Darkshade »

Smoke, you rock. Plain and simple.

Voyo wrote:Woow! Great job, Smoke! It looks just like it should! Although that's a pity that it probably won't be implemented in HDTP (it affects gameplay) :(
If I recall correctly, I think Smoke's mods were going to be optionally included with HDTP. Don't take my word on that though, I just recall some discussion on a previous post.
And if they're not... well... I'll download them anyhow. :P