Join Up & Serve Your Community!

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

Hmm maybe this is starting to get off topic?
Anyway heres version 2. I started off wanting a metallic vase but i can turn that into clay or whatever. (didnt have a reference pic of original).

246 polygons

Thanks for the tips btw ;)
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

:shock:

You, sir, are an artistic genius. But consistency with the other models...? You will go far, I think. Anyway, enough praise... more work! :D
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

Hm, that's really nice, but did you just improvise it? Because if it's not approximately the same shape as the original, it may not fit perfectly into each level. Can we somehow get a comparison pic?

If it turns out too different though... TNM can always use it :P
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

hey thanks fellas.Yeh, this was done just off the top of my head im kinda lucky it looks slightly like the original. In terms of scale, it doesnt seem to be a problem. I coulnt really find a way to get the oringal model into max with textures etc. I've had to settle for one render being in milkshape 3d and the other in max.

Dont ask which is the original, i might cry :D

tumble weed progress. this again, im just improvising but what the hell :D

224 polygons

this one has me scratching my head.
"I spill, my drink!"
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

I like what you've done with the tumbleweed model. It's looking good!

Plant2 needs to be made to look more like the original. The problem I had was thinking about how i'd improve the leaves. The original texture was 128*256, so I though that it would be possible to do a mirrored texture to have it twice as detailed. That's as far as i'd thought...
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

lofaesofa wrote:I like what you've done with the tumbleweed model. It's looking good!

Plant2 needs to be made to look more like the original. The problem I had was thinking about how i'd improve the leaves. The original texture was 128*256, so I though that it would be possible to do a mirrored texture to have it twice as detailed. That's as far as i'd thought...
the problem was i started plant2 without Reference, now that i do have a reference, it shouldnt be a problem.

OK, version 3

Polycount 298 ;)

I was trying to figure out if the original is wood or clay. hmm.
Im not sure if this is the right model again. The proportions look a bit off from the original, but the original is SO low poly its hard to use it as a reference.

Hope this is more what your after, if not, i need some help! :D
"I spill, my drink!"
Red
NSF

Post by Red »

Mate, you are some sort of work animal! Good to see the model progressing so rapidly. However, one of my concerns regards the crispness and detail of the whole product. I know that this item hasn't been put up for criticism yet... But I can't resist the urge to chuck my two cents in! :) Anyway, keep up the good work!

The HDTP seems to be picking up quite a bit -- things can only improve!
If at first you try and don't succeed, cheat. Repeat until caught. Then lie.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

:shock:

that looks simply superb (imho), the original model had a clay pot, if I remember the sound when you smash it to bits correctly ;)

Why hasn't any HDTP member enrolled this guy yet :P
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

dirty harry wrote:Hope this is more what your after, if not, i need some help! :D
That looks really nice mate, but could you perhaps give the pot itself a more orange texture? I think it's only good that it has a rim around the top where the old one doesn't, but it might be a good idea to make the rest of it less of a cone and more of a cylinder, so it looks more... corporate. The leaves are great.

Could you send that first attempt to TNM? We could ALWAYS use a few more plant types.

It's tnm@offtopicproductions.com, we'll be sure to give you all due credit.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Ajare
MJ12

Post by Ajare »

That's looking much better. The tumbleweed is excellent too - that's an awkward model to do, and I think you handled it very well. If you want to do more stuff (please do!) take a look at the upload manager, and see what hasn't been done.
EER wrote:Why hasn't any HDTP member enrolled this guy yet :P
Our Human Resources Department is on holiday.
lofaesofa
UNATCO

Post by lofaesofa »

That's much better! I reckon it needs a few more leaves. Due to its locations, I think the pot needs to change a little. I always imagined the pot to be plastic rather than terracotta. I agree with Jonas' comment on the colour, it should be made more orange. Also, if you look at where it is placed in game i.e. the training hall, UNATCO offices etc. it has to look a bit corporate. Having a nice old-style pot doesn't quite work, so a boring vase (like the original) would be better.

If you use MSN Messenger, PM me and i'll add you so we can talk about further work and I can upload your current work to the DB.
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

Wow so many comments, thanks guys.
Could you send that first attempt to TNM? We could ALWAYS use a few more plant types.
Not a problem, keep in mind the textures are still JPEG, i havent got round to converting them yet ;)

That's much better! I reckon it needs a few more leaves.
As it stands its 298 polys, i was trying to keep below 300? if its ok to go a little higher, i got no problem with that, it does look bit...fruitless.

i.e. the training hall, UNATCO offices etc
Yeah, it does look out of place i guess. I had those eviroments in mind with my 1 and 2 versions. Again it was pretty hard to see what the original was ment to look like.

make the rest of it less of a cone and more of a cylinder.
Yup, i guess i went a bit off the tracks :D trouble is now that when i resize it now, it messes up my UVmap, it will take a bit of time and several cups of coffee for my next update. ;) (hopefully by the end of today)

Well back to work i guess, thanks for the praise and support/tips folks. :)
"I spill, my drink!"
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

You take critique well.

I can handle the texture conversion. Is the model the right format for Deus Ex use, or will I need to ask Phasmatis to convert it for me?

Come to think of it, Phas has TNMDeco right now, so maybe I'll just send all of it straight to him.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

Jonas wrote:You take critique well.

I can handle the texture conversion. Is the model the right format for Deus Ex use, or will I need to ask Phasmatis to convert it for me?

Come to think of it, Phas has TNMDeco right now, so maybe I'll just send all of it straight to him.
The model atm is still 3ds with JPEG textures, i hope someone likes converting :D
"I spill, my drink!"
dirty harry
Thug

Post by dirty harry »

And here it is! version numero 4 :) (i think? :o)

I was gonna make it bit more grittier but i figured maybe you guys like it clean :D
"I spill, my drink!"