UNATCO

Re: HDTP - Release 1: Troubleshooting FAQ

Post by fantsu »

paladin181 wrote:
fantsu wrote:Sadly it didn't work.
Cant say if it actually got worse.

Any other ideas?
:/ :-k
You're not using Kentie's modified .exe, are you? (If you are the game comes up with a play configure and exit button in the preloader)
I am now.
:lol:

Actually I think the problem got fixed partially.
It seems that sometimes when I start up the game it works normally, and if i play long enough it might "start up" randomly, or it is on right from the start.

This might actually just be somekind of error in my installation. See my installation was done in 2006 and my hardware has changed after that.
Maybe I just need fresh installation.
:-k
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
paladin181
Thug

Post by paladin181 »

If you renamed Kentie's exe to HTDP.exe, go to your documents\DeusEx\System folder and make the same change to the HDTP .ini there. The tric kto this for me was finding which .ini file I was actually using at a given time.
fantsu
UNATCO

Post by fantsu »

Yep I tried it already. Didn't help. The change is now in HDTP.ini and DeusEx.ini (and Kentie is renamed to HDTP.exe).
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
My "Deus Ex - Conspiracy" run on emulator
Alex Jacobson: They'll have you killed. They won't even blink an eye.
JC Denton: Neither did I.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Kentie's launcher always looks for deusex.ini:

Code: Select all

//Get settings path
		wchar_t userDataPath[MAX_PATH];
		SHGetFolderPath(NULL,CSIDL_PERSONAL,NULL,NULL,userDataPath);
		PathAppend(userDataPath,L"Deus Ex\\System");
		PathCombine(deusexini,userDataPath,L"deusex.ini");
		PathCombine(userini,userDataPath,L"user.ini");
So that means any changes to the config in the launcher UI will be done in deusex.ini, however I'm not 100% sure whether or not the game itself still looks for <exename>.ini. I think it does, but should look into it more some time.
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
PlausibleSarge
UNATCO

Post by PlausibleSarge »

REMEMBER THAT KENTIES LAUNCHER SAVES EVERYTHING TO MY DOCUMENTS

Which means that the ini in the Deus Ex folders WILL NOT WORK, and should be copied to My Documents/Deus Ex instead
Koukaku Gakusei
Mole Person

Post by Koukaku Gakusei »

Hey there, I'm a new member, old DX fan, wanted to try this mod out.

I've just installed the HDTP demo:
http://www.offtopicproductions.com/hdtp/?page_id=3

and have DX normally without it before, smoothly, countless times.

But now I've installed HDTP, there's an issue: both the original Deus Ex exe and the HDTP - Release 1 one, whether I use their Start Menu shortcuts or the original files, load only in a window. Beforehand, DX always loaded in fullscreen.

I can click on the fullscreen window button by tabbing out and then clicking on it from desktop, but that doesn't do anything. I've tried toggling fullscreen mode from within the game options, but it doesn't make a difference. I've tried adding '--fullscreen' to the end of the Start Menu shortcuts' Properties, but that doesn't work either.

I can drag the window to a larger size, but, well, that's not fullscreen and it's annoying.

I haven't played the game any further than the menu screen yet since then, but it appears to load entirely smoothly. It just refuses to fullscreen.

I would deeply appreciate any help. Thanks in advance, and for this promising mod.

I'm running DX Game of the Year Edition 1112fm according to the menu screen, on Windows XP.
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Erk, in the Deus Ex ini does it say: SartupFullscreen=True?
Growing old is inevitable.......Growing up is optional
Koukaku Gakusei
Mole Person

OK, problem solved. Sort of.

Before reading your reply, I uninstalled both HDTP and DX.

I clean reinstalled DX, then HDTP, again. And this time, DX original loads completely normally and in fullscreen.

But when I try to load HDTP - Release 1, it fails, and I get this error msg:

"
Failed to enter DX.dx:

History: UGameEngine::Init <- XGameEngineExt::Init <- DDeusExGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine

"

So... I inexplicably fixed the original just by reinstalling, but broke HDTP at the same time. :-k

And yes, it says "StartupFullscreen=True" in the ini - at least in my fresh install. I'm afraid I don't know about the old one.

Thankyou for your patience. :oops:
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

Sorry, but I have to ask. Are you launching the game, (after installing HDTP) with the shortcut the installer places on your desktop?

Also, did you do this?: -Open HDTP.ini (In your DeusEx\System directory)
-Find this line: CachePath=..\Cache
-Directly below it, paste in this line: CacheExt=.uxx
Koukaku Gakusei
Mole Person

1) I've never tried the desktop shortcut, only the Start Menu shortcut. I prefer not to use desktop shortcuts ever to avoid cluttering.

2) I just tried the .ini edit you suggested, but there's no change. Exact same broken open as before.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

Can you verify that the HDTP shortcut actually points to the right directory? Perhaps it is an artifact from your previous installation, and points at an old directory?
Another Visitor ... Stay a while ... Stay forever!
Koukaku Gakusei
Mole Person

OK, now things get stranger and stranger.

On Monday, I played the original Deus Ex for hours. It worked completely fine.

On Tuesday morning, I tried to load Deus Ex (from the Start shortcut). The Sold Out splash screen came up and my DVD drive whirred a bit, but then nothing happened. It hanged. The Task Manager indicates that DeusEx.exe is running and consuming 7,124K, but this number doesn't increase (like, for at least 20 mins) and nothing happens.

I try uninstalling everything, HDTP and DX, and reinstalling only the original from CD again. I notice one thing: during the installation/WinZip extraction, at the very end of the process, a number of short messages come up which have this format:

'File C:\Program Files\Deus Ex\System\Core.u (for example) already exists. Overwrite file?
- Yes - No - Cancel'

The filenames go through a list of .u System ones alphabetically, like from ConSys to UWindow. This despite the fact that I'd uninstalled the game beforehand, so I knew there was no file to overwrite? Right?

The first reinstallation attempt, I just answer 'Yes' each time.

But the game doesn't work; exact same result again.

I've tried:
1) Not choosing those overwrite options during installation
2) Only installing the system files to disk, leaving all else to load from CD
3) Installing everything except DirectX 7
4) Trying to load the game from the original .exe file or from the CD instead of shortcuts

But the result is the same every time: the .exe starts up, but then stagnates at a certain memory usage from 7-9000K and nothing happens.

Could this have anything to do with HDTP? I just want the original game running again now :cry:
bobby 55
Illuminati

Post by bobby 55 »

I think some of DX didn't get uninstalled originally. If you have a registry cleaning program I'd suggest running that. If you don't you could try going to your program files and deleting the DX folder from there by right clicking and choosing delete. That usually deletes eveything DX related, then try installing DX again after restarting your computer.
nerdenstein
Illuminati

Post by nerdenstein »

When you uninstall Deus Ex, that doesn't always mean it'll delete all the files.
You have to go to C:\DeusEx (Or where ever it is you install it) and delete the Deus Ex folder.
Then, reinstall the game; making sure to run it once after it is installed. Play the training mission, sort your key mappings ect.

I would then follow the instructions on here to set up the alternate launcher and renderers if you want any (The new .exe is recommended and is useful for running HDTP.)
http://kentie.net/article/dxguide/

Then install HDTP. Now the way I do it, is instead of running the HDTP shortcut, I run the DeusEx.exe that you should have replaced with the new one from that site. It'll bring up the launcher. Go into Data Directories and stick a tick in both lines that have HDTP in them.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Koukaku Gakusei
Mole Person

I've tried uninstalling Deus Ex and checking C: and Program Files, making sure the Deus Ex folder is gone. I've also deleted Deus Ex's registry entry using regedit, tho admittedly I haven't tried a registry cleaner yet. But installation is exactly the same, with hte 'overwrite' boxes, and the results are exactly the same, as the game doesn't load.