Updating Music with Remixed PS2 Version Music?

Discuss every aspect of HDTP here.

Moderator: HDTP Team

Forum rules
Please do not feed the trolls.
fub
The Nameless Mod
The Nameless Mod

Post by fub »

ohnoz its slicer.

dell is notoriously bad with date estimates.
inACTIVE tnm graphical artist.
Jonas wrote:WHAT THE HELL KIND OF A NINJA-MOD IS THIS?!
tzang
Thug

Post by tzang »

fub wrote:dell is notoriously bad with date estimates.
heh, notoriously bad is a rather light word to use... considering I ordered from them 3 times before and all 3 orders never arrived... well, one did, 2 months after I cancelled it and Dell still charged me :shock:

This order consists of a funky XPS M1710 with a 7950GTX... lets hope you don't jinx me... they've already done a bad job by not having a PC Card slot for my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook, which does a great job for my music work :(
tzang productions - For all your IT support needs

Project HD Music - High Quality music for Deus Ex
(just realised my host wiped out the content along with TNM mirrors, will restore later)
Mr_Cyberpunk
Illuminati

Post by Mr_Cyberpunk »

I've tried hacking the PS2 Discs before to try and get the sounds, models, animations and music. I only managed to rip the FMVs unfortunately. (if you're wondering I noticed that they are up on YouTube so just put my name into the search bar.)

All of those other files are well encrypted using a bastard PS2 encryption of the Unreal 2 engine. (hence why my computer reads it as a .nothing file and can't do anything to read what should be the /DeusEx/ directory) Other than that you can only manage to get the crappy load screens and the FMVs. (I found some .u files in there however)

I'm affraid there is no way to get this accomplished... unless you know anyone that can hack PS2 files.. I tried to speak to a few but they always say "THATS ILLEGAL" like fucking PS2 Fanboy DOOSH bags.

My opinion is, just remaster the bloody things and don't bother with the PS2 version. Its a pain in the Arse to hack.
DaveW
New Vision
New Vision

Post by DaveW »

fub wrote:ohnoz its slicer.

dell is notoriously bad
Corrected.
Colej_uk
Mole Person

Post by Colej_uk »

I have heard the ps2 music on pc, and it is possible to extract- but I won't go there because of obvious reasons.

I really hope the HD music project works out :)
bazooka
Mole Person

Post by bazooka »

I really like the progress so far on the HD music project so far, tzang. Hope it comes to fruition.

As for implementing OGG w/o having huge downloads -- I don't know much of anything about coding so bear with my not-so-eloquent ramblings here -- if I understand correctly, each map file has the name of the ambient music file for that map defined in it's code? So, the only difference between the new map files pre-compilation and the old map files pre-compilation would be three little letters -- "ogg" versus "wav"? Again, I don't know much, but it seems like those three letters really have no bearing on any other map properties -- so post-compilation, very little would be different between the updated maps and the old maps. What I'm getting at is that maybe you can just implement the OGG, take a bit by bit comparison of the new map versus the old map, and then distribute a patch that changes the users old maps into OGG capable ones, based off the bit comparison.

Is this plausible? It seems like it is to me, it's just I don't know how much the map files differ as a result of changing the extension from "wav" to "ogg."

:?:
DDL
Traditional Evil Scientist

Post by DDL »

They're not .wavs, though: the DX music is based on a tracker format (like impulse tracker .it files), converted into an unreal-friendly .umx format.

Probably the easiest way to do it would be to prepare some nicer sounding versions of the original tracks, again in .umx format, and place them in a music folder that the game looks in before the default one.
EER
Illuminati

Post by EER »

DDL wrote:They're not .wavs, though: the DX music is based on a tracker format (like impulse tracker .it files), converted into an unreal-friendly .umx format.
It would however still be possible to distribute the changes to the maps as a patch (minimizing DL size), unless people have screwed around in maps themselves.
DDL

Post by DDL »

Yep: see my suggestion, above. Just adding an HDTP\Music folder to the installer, plus relevant ini links, and the replacement'd happen automatically.
metche_steele
Illuminati

Post by metche_steele »

Well if the project comes into fruitition then i'd be certainly for it. Ive listening to your new HK sample Tzang and its great fun! It's really rich and elegant. I love it - so a big well done!

Please don't hesitate to keep updating this thread with your new stuff.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

DDL wrote:Yep: see my suggestion, above. Just adding an HDTP\Music folder to the installer, plus relevant ini links, and the replacement'd happen automatically.
I think what EER was suggesting was to actually change the maps and then convert the changes into a patch, so only the changed bits would be contained within the patch installer. That way, you could add Jim's OGG player to all the maps, remove the original UMX soundtracks from the map properties, and then make an installer with only those changes (rather than the whole maps) plus the actual OGG files themselves. That should be possible, right? And that wouldn't infringe on any copyright.
Jonas Wæver
Chief Poking Manager of TNM

I've made some videogames:
Expeditions: Rome
Expeditions: Viking
Expeditions: Conquistador
Clandestine
DDL

Post by DDL »

To be honest, it's not hard to make the playerclass simply ignore the music for the level, spawn in the ogg actor, and go from there.

My point was that my method didn't even require a patch: the only thing the maps know about the music is the name of the file. They have to look for it and load it up each time you open the map, thus putting a revamped version of the track, with the same name, in a folder the game will look in BEFORE checking the default music folder will replace the music automatically, no changes to maps needed whatsoever.

This would also keep everything peachy with mods, since if there IS no revamped music, it'll simply use the original stuff: it won't complain.
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

But they would have to be UMX files, right?
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine
Morpheus
X-51

Post by Morpheus »

I know this sounds like a nice idea, but is it really necessary? What good will become of better music? (Not to sound bad or anything...)
Jonas
Off Topic Productions
Off Topic Productions

Post by Jonas »

What good will come of better music? Well, what good with come of better graphics? Same thing.
Jonas Wæver

Clandestine